Saturday, April 11, 2015

Krav Maga P3 Grading

I didn't have any intention to go for grading when it was first announced that one would be coming. Then I was glad to have restarted KM after the whole migraine incident and sickly period of time. I had just gotten my P2 just about six months.  Including that 5-6 weeks absence, technically less than 6 months. Had no intention to go for any.

Then the main instructor asked me if I would be going for it. Huh? You mean I can go for it? I just got my P2. He said can try to train for it. Just before it, he'll tell if can or cannot. Hence began my more intensive KM sessions. The more senior students also wanted to try for the next level, P4 n P5. So we trained harder than before. Going for 4-5 sessions per week. Staying on an extra half hour after class to practice our level's requirement.

It was good for me that I had learned most of the syllabus with exception of 2 moves. First was high forward roll and second was side headlock on the ground with hands trapped. Those I learned and practiced and fumbled. Then for the high forward roll, I started jumping over and landing in a roll one pad at a time. The senior students gave advice and pointers. Gradually over time with many "aiyos" and backaches, I could jump and roll cleanly over 4 stacked pads. Finally on the Thursday before grading, I tried to do with one small pad extra and could clear it.

Grading coincidentally was on the same day as LKY's state funeral. But mere coincidence cos it was decided 2 plus months ago. I had to buy the gee pants and a black KM shirt as they are grading uniform. I had gotten the side KM legging to sew onto the sides of your own long exercise pants but I don't have one. It was too hot and i bought 3 quarters all these while. So for me, just pay and settle once and for all. So $140 grading fees, $20 t-shirt, $60 for gee pants. $220, a commitment to see it through. I had to buy new contacts, finished my supply, another $172. Pricey. Next time I want the normal ones. Bought 2 bottles of 3litres isotonic drink. Packed my gear and I was about done. Prepared.

I woke up before 6am. Close to 5.45am. Cooked a pack of my chicken breast meat with some cherry tomatoes, butterhead lettuce. Ate that and got ready. I reached the grading venue before 9.30am. There were a few who were earlier. I got ready and went in. In terms of the duration and pace, it was easier than before, except I felt uncomfortable and taxed due to the humidity. It started to rain. And my legs were still a bit sore from the day before and the 4hours sleep left me a bit zombie like as the time wore on. Made it through the rounds of Pl,  with 4 stations. Then continue on with the P2 rounds, not 4 stations but still running through. Then into the P3 rounds. I was feeling the effects and at every break, luckily more breaks than earlier gradings, so I guzzled the isotonic and went to the toilet. Especially once P3 was over except for the pressure drill. Then have to do the pressure drills and multiple assailant drills. Felt tired and lost track of time cos no watch nor clocks. Then it was over.

Or was it? We had to gather around and interlock our arms and we did 50 sit-ups, 50 squats and 20 dive bombers. New fitness requirements in the test. Then took a group photo beforetthe results were announced. Before that, there was a long talk about how if ya fail, have to try, didnt meet the requirements of the level. From P3 onwards it isnt an assured thing to pass. There had been cases of failure. But they only charge one grading fee. So the regrading is free. As the results were announced and it progressed from P1 to P2. The upper Ps were anxious. What if I fail? My light sparring wasn't there. Kinda screw up there. Our self confidence of passing was wavering. Then my name was called for P3. So happy, I lifted both my hands in a cheer. Went forward to get my certificate and a photo with the main instructor. My hands had the familiar trembling but no stitches this time.

Then it went on and in the end one didn't make it. He was my partner just for the P3 part. I had a different partner until P2. Both of us passed P2 and were partners. This time I was surprised he signed up for P3, cos didn't see him much. Even for the intensive revision and training period, he wasn't present as frequent. The other guy down for P3 passed. I had thought only 2 people were down for P3. But he wasn't happy with the result later on. The main instructor called him aside and spoke to him. It was the decisions of the 4 sub-insructors who graded us. Hence we didn't take any high P, group photo, kinda like rubbing in his face.

So we kept our stuff and headed back. Got a ride to the nearest MRT and I made my way to Tab's place. Planned to eat my foot long subway and bathed and watch the remaining part of the state funeral. Can't help tearing up at some parts, when the people cheered as the gun carriage drove past. Later the aches started. As I groaned and moaned as I got up the couch, Tab pitied my state and offered to order in pizza. But I rather go out. So with the idea of eating Chinese style zhi char, we settled on Punggol seafood. Quet drove over and got valet parking, luckily cos the traffic police were up in pairs and all those tio. Her pi-xiu worked again, make her get valet and so avoided the parking tickets.

We weren't intending to eat crab until we saw the picture on the menu. Then all three of us agreed on the crab. But we over ordered. The chilli crab was delicious, with all the roe, eggs,  sauce and eating them with the fried man tous and plain rice. I was mopping up the crab and really enjoying the rice. Mmmm... A kick as version of chilli crab, I wouldn't mind eating again. Then we walked around the pungent settlement area that was more developed with more dining options. Enjoyed the breeze and walked to the small pier. But as it was nearing 10.30pm and my aches had intensified even more, I asked Tab if I could spend the night over? I dread taking public transport home in my current state then. She kindly agreed after informing DF and I borrowed a tshirt for the night. Luckily she had the Counter pain muscle cream and loaned to me. I applied on every part that was hurting and fell asleep almost immediately after Tab retired for the night.

It was very peaceful and dark and I fell into a deep slumber. Woke up around 7 but turned and slept more. By the time I woke and got out, it was 10am plus. Magically my body didn't hurt so much, dull slight aches. Don't underestimate the power of analgesic cream. There was a set of spare keys which I could use to get out of the then empty house. I slowly got ready. Took down my gear which were hanging to dry and packed. I was getting hungry but it wasn't nice to impose too long especially raiding the kitchen etc. So I locked up and threw the keys in, then realised I had forgotten to change out of Tab's tshirt. I had left my own tshirt and bra behind. Quickly msg her. So I went home braless... luckily the third is large and dark colored, very comfy too. I reached the Kent Ridge link and bought 7 triangle onigiriwhich I munched 4 on my way home. Fell in a deep sleep and woke up that nobody ate the 3 remaining onigiri so I ate them as dinner. Think I would stave off that onigiri for a while. Delicious as they were.

No comments: