Thursday, December 24, 2009

Until after tomorrow...

Monday, I went for 2 interviews, which the first offer is decent but the second is really under-cut. BUT nothing is in the bag cos for the first one, I have to hear from them. For the second one, I call them if I am decided. I went in without make-up cos my old set dont think is fit for usage. Didnt exercise.

On Tuesday, I first headed for a hair cut in the early afternoon. My hair was getting too long and irritating, plus hot humid weather nowadays, and to appear neater. I didnt call, decided to walk in and just ask for that Shuai hairstylist to cut for me. When I walked in, he was the only hairstylist not attending to customer, so he cut for me. Yay. Actually this time I WAS wearing contact lens and thus could see his face clearly. Still think he is pretty alright, cos who am I to critise? My own face has blemishes and pimple scars too duh. And to my sister's dismay, I didnt ask him his age *which is my mission impossible since a number of haircuts ago* Just asked some questions about hair straigtening iron clips and the other which is to make hair stand.

After that, I headed to drive. Continued to learn right turn which I am not that good at, U-turn, roundabouts and the new thing is moving off from slope. Quite fun except that it started raining quite a bit. Well at least I am familiar with the wipers and even the headlights.

After that I went shopping for basic make-up with Ting and Tab on Tuesday after driving lesson. Watson has 20% discount and since the salesgirl at Maybelline was very helpful, bought a foundation, blush and lipstick. No mascara or eye shadow or concealers. I am just for basics. No exercise.

On Wed, I headed to work at FH's place. Was doing data-entry and listening to the music. I dont mind it too much cos it gives me some more admin stuff to add to resume, and also had a whole room to work in. I was to also 'test' and highlight to him any parts that can be improved, which after a few times of doing the repeated task, there are very obvious parts. No wonder some not computer-savvy aunties slow in doing or make mistakes. Even for me, I can cut down various parts by using Office short cut functions but there is only so much that can be done. Well, I did finish keying faster, then while its printing, looked out at the window to 'rest' my eyes. Had forgotten how tedious this type of computer activitiy is on the eyes. Luckily can listen to music so tuned in to FM98.7 It helps very much to occupy my unoccupied mind so I wont be too bored after a while. Laughing at the jokes the DJs crack, it really makes time pass fast. After a while, its already 5hrs.

Then we headed to Timbre to eat pizza, *the garlic shrimp is oiiishiiiii* but the beer tasted okay... which is only because moi had drunk better beer from brewrsk, red dot etc etc. Oh well. No exercise.

Today, I headed to the gym. Woke up with help of hp alarm, I woke up earlier 8.30am. Then saw the rainy weather. NO!!!!! But I decided to pack my swim gear, then wear gym gear. Cos dunno if the pool or gym closed since its the eve before Christmas. It was still drizzling quite heavily when I arrived, so headed to the gym. Worked out for 1.5hrs doing my routine. Came out feeling tired but good. So there's just one or two more exercise to go either Sat and/or Sun. Didnt want to break the routine cos it took quite a bit of perseverence to keep it up all this while. The good news is that I almost lost the 1.7kg I gained from the Melaka trip whole week of eating. Left 0.3kg then I am back to my FAT self that I still wanted to reduce.

Dabaoed lunch, bought mint leaves, a pack of suger to make simple sugar syrup for mixing of martini. The theme this year for mixing is "Mojito & Martini" but some stuff still dont have eg lime juice, apple juice, soda water. Nevermind, see if I can grab a can of soda tomorrow.

I headed out for another interview. This time its rather near the Guan Yin temple. I sat through and again the points coming up is that this is pte so pay not so high, have to let students like, seem that I am not generous with my smile. BUT as I already noted before, EVEN when I smile to other people, they can tell that generally I am not of a happy-disposition type. The look is there not cos I dao pple but that even if I smile to them, it doesnt overcome this bais against my disposition. DUH! Then the salary quoted is rather low. Slightly better than the 2nd interview but still I am not that keen. Not only cos of salary but that I was going to teach up to lower secondary. I asked for time to think about, to give an answer on monday so can proceed to 2nd round where I would have to demostrate how I teach. Well I am not scared of demonstrating since contract days but the pay is still not within expectations. I was targeting somewhere 2.8k region, not sure if I am overpricing myself. But if I wanted just a 2k job, I think I can get it rather easily but 2k for 40-42hr workweek is a too low, esp after CPF and travelling and food. I cant say for certain whether I am being overpriced, until I have sent applications to the more reputable and bigger centres and gone for those interviews.

After that, I headed to the toilet to wipe off my light make-up. Hmm so far so good, no rashes and my face does brighten up, just I am NOT comfortable with that obvious layer on my face esp the lips. Then since it was still before 6pm, I went to the Guan Yin temple to pray and qiu qian. I asked that in my job search, should I focus in tuition? 上签 Asked if in my job search should look at fiance and banks etc? 中签 Both seemed good but of course tuition choice seemed better.

Before I went into teaching or accouting then, 5 years back, I came to Guan Yin temple. Teaching is a good choice cos I had good collegues and actually performed rather well in my job. Its just my own disatisfaction with my fatique level, increasing waistline, lack of personal time and energy to do things. But with the teaching job, I dilligently saved up over the years and could invest and yet have a comfortable buffer which I am relying on now in this period of unemployment. Overall it is still a good move. I was somewhat discouraged after 3 interviews without much success but this qian has given me the encouragement to forge on ahead.

IF they are not willing to hire me COS I look stern, dont smile at them or dont have a happy disposition, I WILL GET MY OWN STUDENTS What I like about pupils which I still do is that they are more willing to look outside superficial appearances, just like I try to do to them, cos I am so aware of the bais against me. Hence even with difficult students, I treat them as equals and try to avoid favourites or even labels. COS I DONT STEREOTYPE THEM as much as I could. I dont see my students dissing me cos I dont smile cos I actually do esp activities and stuff. Its just the ADULTS who dont seem to see, too fast to judge. I constantly remind myself not to lapse into such first impressions or hasty judgements 有眼无珠

Eventually might even set up my OWN CENTRE, basket. I PAY MYSELF. I dont believe that I dont have something to offer compared to some of these centres where the staff are not NIE-trained or not well-paid or working long hours. I dont believe the insights into teaching that I have gained by opening my OWN eyes, while others chose not to see, when I was working as an educator, CANNOT match these, some are outsiders, retired. I seriously DONT believe it is so. I guess why I wanted to try out at centre is to see and learn how they run it, look at their syllabus a bit. BUT if even working there, I still have to do syllabus, do ws and exam papers, then might as well COME UP WITH MY OWN. Lagi easier, match in-line with MOE syallabus and viola, I can get MOE-accredited centre. Duh.

And through these interviews, I cant say that they are purely waste of time and money but I didnt spend on cab, just took public transport. Maybe its the time. But I also gained some insight, lower secondary market potential for English, middle primary and upwards to focus on. Even adult courses. On my way back, these were swirling on my mind. I could START NOW with a few steps to build up my syllabus and lessons accordingly and put it exam focused, with parts learning focused. I shall try to get started to churn up stuff esp for Eng and Maths which I have the most experience, and adult class. A few ideas and WS a day, after a couple, I am open for home-based biz. Several months more, who knows? I really think I can, even if not centre, but home-based.

Then I reached home and made the Simple Sugar Syrup that is used for the recipes I copied for Martinis. Its equal part sugar and water. Made about 800ml of it. Mint bought, smoked duck breast bought, Port which Candle helped me purchsed, Beer which I bought and not drunk, 6 bottles Budweiser, 2 bottles Hoe, 3 cans Guiness checked. Absolute Pear Vodka which I used to make this

Peartini, which the quantity turned out to be a mixer. I actually used freshly squeezed lemon juice and even tried to squeeze an apple for the juice. Need to modify the Pear vodka quantity but overall taste is good esp chilled by ice and even diluted a bit by the ice.





K tomorrow, since I am bringing so much booze, beer, wine and even vodka, tomorrow is to drink until I go silly. Intend to make everybody finish the PORT. I am spending quite a bit, Port, my beer, food, even considering getting fruits for the mojito... but its once a year. I plan to PARTY and then on Monday go back to job search, working at FH, monitoring Stock Market, start doing up own worksheet, and exercise. Think that will keep me busy indeed.

Until after tomorrow first...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The issue with tuition centre in singapore is the fact that the rentals (of the premise) will devastate your income. Imagine devastator sucking your hard earned money and channelling it into your landlord's pocket.

Secondly, to be a tuition centre, there are some regulations in regards to syllabus etc etc etc Not to mention the qualifications of the tutors and if any ( a fixed number of tutors per centre? )

Another issue (according to my overactive imagination) if u can be a one-woman-show, then no probs with CPF, if u have to hire tutors, CPF is another issue to be solved.

Premise, the lease, the legal paperwork, the fire department and fire exits and fire extingushiers etc etc, the health department, the educational department. Company registration. Centre insurance coverage

centre renovation, centre power demand, centre water works, centre security doors if any, centre electronic eyes,

Syllabus making, marketing, promotions, teaching, cleaning, security, class control, centre control, centre paperwork...

...my god, I didnt know I had been through so much crap...=D
Bascially a few main phases

Education Department and Premise seeking

Centre setup and renovations

Centre running and government paperwork and centre maintenance

1390

Good luck.
If u want advice, call me or mail me in FB.