Saturday, July 16, 2016

Felt food purse / Dory toy avatar / Baking for 2 days and Pusheen Surprise Box - Baker and Taco avatars

The second sewing course I signed up for was to make local food from felt. I thought I might end up with a salmon plushie but it was to make mainly felt 2D food by mainly gluing and then using valcro, stick onto the purse you had to kinda sew together.

This time the environment wasnt as peaceful cos the aunties were chatting and got a kid at my table. So kinda distracting and I was surprised that it was more of gluing together than sewing though I did re-learnt the "whip stitch". After the 2hrs session, could only finish the purse. Dabao the felt back to finish but cos didnt went about it yet cos partly is mainly sticking together. Felt so unpolished. And I lacked certain felt colors to make the sushi. My set was to make the Hokkien mee.

That was my last course until I signed up for more. Nothing that seems to pipe the interest and also many snatched up.

___________________

Influenced by Tab's continous sublimal message plus I saw the Dory toy while looking at the Pusheen toy videos and liked it. So while my pusheens were held up by that stupid Brit1o, I decided to buy the Dory toy on a Tuesday afternoon. Went to jalan Toys 'R Us at Forum and walked all over until I ended up in P.S.

Dory is very cute and I was happy with it. Though it felt funny having to pose Dory with food initially. Plonked myself in the kopitiam in P.S to rest my dead tired knees then and stoned inside. Tab came and joined me after work and had a few funny pics of our avatars. Cool word for toy. Mine's a fish and hers a cat. So you know what pics would come out. Even collaborated to have a funny poem based on the pics taken. Toys aren't just toys, can derive so much other fun from it.

___________________

Had to experiment and try out some new dishes to make as offering for thanks. So I sought to try out Nonya kuih - Baked Pumpkin Cake. It had the least coconut milk and almost entirely pumpkin which is healthier. Did it on Thurs and it wasnt difficult. Did half of the recipe portion and still it turned out a lot. Taste wise was pretty good, soft and moist. Though I didnt have the right size baking container and it turned out lower cos of the bigger sized container used to bake it. Cut into smaller pieces so it is not jialat to eat. The thing about nonya kuih, some are kinda heavy to eat. This one surprisingly does have a bit like that except when it was cut into smaller pieces, then ok. I felt it was a bit sweet for me so maybe reduce the sugar a bit next time if I make it.

Cos on Sat, might have things to do, I decided to utilise Fri and bake the second experimental dish - Pandan Swiss Roll with coconut cream filling. It had more steps and was more complex but I was happy when my swiss roll turned out fine. I almost charred the top by letting the top heat brown 5mins. Next time just 1-2mins is fine. After the swiss roll was rolled up and chilling in the fridge, I decided to try out the Giant cookies, as I needed to test out how the baking goes in our cheaper oven. Baking differs from oven to oven.

At one shot, to finish using that one egg I whisked, I made 4 different cookies. The Pandan Coconut one failed. Turned out spicy and bitter, reminiscent of the Cinnamon one. But I didnt add any cinnamon nor spice to it. A mystery but had to throw it. The first Oats and Raisins turned out drier cos I baked it a bit too long 5mins. Then the second, above, failed. The third one was PeanutButter and the fourth was GingerCookie. Taste-test, the second failed. The peanut butter was very nice. I love the ginger one too. Yay. Actually still left with one more flavor, Coffee. Until next time.

I was worried after tasting the Pandan Coconut cookie and it turned spicy??? So I quickly took out the swiss roll and tasted it. It was fine, phew! My mom and I were perplexed why the cookie was spicy and bitter?

As I was meeting Quet, packed a box, a bit of each, help me eat cos too much for my family. Too bad Tab wasnt free, otherwise I would have packed her one too.

___________________

Went to Dolby Ghaut to pick up my pusheen parcel. Happy to see the Baker but after I had finished my baking endeavors. Nevermind, more in the future. The two surprise boxes, I kept unopened. Supposed to let Tab choose hers first so until I settled down and get her answer. Was happy with the Baker. Quickly stopped at Daiso and bought the felt I lacked and headed to Quet's house.

We went to her home cos I was bringing a bit of each of the cookies and cakes I made and better to keep the cakes chilled. Whilst at her home, msg Tab to choose her box, so that I could open mine. She was playing coy and I jokingly threaten to let Quet choose for her. Quet asked if she could keep the box she chose. We headed to eat western food again. This time I had a double grilled chicken but chose Honey Mustard and Fiery Buffalo, so it turned out to be the same grilled and still delicious chicken but with different sauce generously drizzled all over the top.

After that we headed back and walked around the shops. Quet checked out the new fruit stall and bought some lemons and watermelon. We went back to watch a movie. I chose Batman v Superman and I must say the Batman cannot make it. Superman also not as hot. But cos it didnt have too much dialog, we could chat, dun focus on it and still not miss any plot. Kudos to the Lex Luthor actor and character. Unfortunately even Alfred the butler had more character depth than Batman, who looked really fat in the suit.

So while watching, we could chat, look at phone, and even film the unboxing of the Pusheen surprise box after Tab finally chose one. I was really surprised to get the Taco cat which incidentally spelt backwards is still taco caT. Cos I really liked it since I saw the designs and from watching those unboxing videos, know that Taco is one of the rarer designs. The rarest is the purple Doughnut. Then the rarer ones are Taco, Ice cream. Rare ones are Cookie and maybe Burger and super common are Cupcake, Mug and Pizza. I didnt realistically think that I stand a chance to get it from just buying 2 boxes and taking one of them. Think the Taco cat will inspire me to make some tacos from scratch. Baker and Taco cats can inspire more baking and cooking dishes. Yumz!

Left Tab's chosen box at Quet's place cos I wont be free on Sat and I asked Quet if she would be meeting Tab. She would be, and now the surprise box is with her, Tab would surely not miss the meeting up. Like held ransom. And later on I saw her unboxing video, glad to see she also got the rarer one - Ice cream cat. Soon, we would all suddenly have the urge to eat tacos and ice cream cones.

Enough money spent on toys cum avatars for me for now. Indulge a bit but enough otherwise everywhere I go, have to bring a pack of toys about. At least until GUND suddenly releases series 2. Remember this surprise box is series 1. Let's hope it wont be anytime soon.

No comments: