Sunday, August 26, 2007

Some words about that Staff Outing....

Yep it was doomed to failure when the P first told the rest during contact time that the parent volunteer gp wanted to celebrate teacher's day by sending us for a 3D2N stay @ xxxxgol (an ulu area in spore) First P asked those who wanted to go, a few hands raised. Then P turned the question around, who didnt want to go, one hand went up. Hence it was decided this way. It was to be held on a weekend, fri til sun @ xxxgol. U can literally hear all the teachers thinking to themselves, "spend a weekend with my colleuges, I'll rather spend it with my family."

As I didnt want to stay on Sat or Sun, my precious weekend, I signed for the friday one. It meant I had to stay over but heck I could leave in early noon of Sat. Fair enough, I showed my face there. So it meant I stayed back after school til 6.30pm plus doing admin, marking exams papers, tallying marks, supervise a bit of cca. It meant I had to pack my bag and lugged it to work as its not a good idea to spend 1hr 10mins to then fro to get my luggage after work. Basically by the time we reached the place, I had been awake almost 12hrs, working 10hrs plus. Didnt have lunch, hungry for dinner. I had a quick shower and felt much more refreshed. Man its really good to have a bath after a LONG day.

We set off from work, a measley 5 of us. Arriving at the place, it reminds me of a bungalow low rise dormatory. Yar the beds were double storied with a connecting common bathroom which didnt have any toilet paper. Didnt squeeze in a roll cos my bag too full. Note to self-always squeeze in a roll if i am going anywhere... ulu.
There we were joined by 2 other collegues, then by 2 other parents. They had bought lots of fruits. We ate that as a primary dinner with the 2 packs of snacks I brought along. Asked another who was on the way to dabao. We played some poker games using the deck of card I brought. Notice the pattern? Using 2 of the stuff I brought along in anticipation of lack of activities there. It didnt hit 3 cos I didnt have the toilet roll. Anyway the other collegue arrived with our dabao dinner, we ate a secondary dinner. He was asked to bring his set of mahjong.

Later after dinner, I went to the bed. I laid down, talking mainly with the other BT who was with me. We kept commenting abt the state we had landed up in. It was a friday, a time to go out chill and relax. We were still there wearing masks, facing pple whom have seen the whole day. Then the number of pple staying overnite was pathetic. 4 including myself. The BT went to a friends' place. After she left, I just dozed off. The next thing I knew, I was woken up around 6.30am by the noise of the other two noisily getting ready for the next activity on Sat morning.

We were to get ready and go for a guided tour of Pulau Ubin. Its a first for me, but then again, its not exactly that I have never been in nature before. Living in malaysia with gardens, fields, playing in the garden, going for hiking trips like Taman Negara, bat cave, climb hill, canapy walk, Redang, Tioman, mangrove swamps, monkey-watching at the tiny strip of sand of a beach at my hometown, I have seen my fair share of animals and plants. So to sum it up; there are some things that I have never seen before but most of it is "seen those before, done those before".

The interesting things happened before we went to Ubin. Saw my first 3 travesites in Changi Village in singapore. Its not that I havent seen but its just I've heard so much about the CV but never been there to witness. Second was my order of Roti Tissue was more like Roti Cardboard, cos it was rather think, not crispy. Still decent but not the thinnest I've ever had.

Me and the BT had to lug our luggage with us on the entire journey cos we were leaving earlier not going for the afternoon program. We went off around 1pm after eating Ayam Pentai. My cab fare from CV to home was $23. Ouch 3 days of my usual cab fare.

Hopefully the high absentism rate would discourage anymore of such ideas. It was not popular in the first place. Why not seriously think about it before just rephrasing the question and just deciding like that. I am not sure about the turnout for the rest of the events but a gut feeling from the general consesus gathered from talking to some showed, almost nil want to stay overnite, most will show up for one day and some aint going at all. Well that's planning for ya, civil service style, well to be fair, educator-style...

Now I am feeling kinda sian cos my weekend feels so short. Tom is another week, a hectic one. Just wish for it to be over before it had even begun. Signz. This monday's Toto is 3m, already bought my hope. Now just hopeing.

No comments: