Monday, March 31, 2014

Cooking - Jap curry & Hand-made Burgers n meatballs

Jap Curry

Didnt know what exactly, maybe cos I had meatballs at Ikea, so I guess the thought of minced meat struck me as something I could use in the cooking of Jap curry. It appealed to me cos I used it similarly in my version of pasta bolognese.

Bought the hot version of the curry (not even a hint of heat) and minced pork. Parents went back and my job was to look after my sis. Help out. So felt like cooking a bit. Helped use up the carrots, potatoes and onions at home. So the preparation was kinda typical. Wash, peel and chop into smaller pieces. I fried the carrots and potatoes for a while then transfer to a pot. Then fried some garlic then onions and added the minced meat and stir until cooked. Then added 1liter of water, bring to boil, throw in the Jap curry blocks and keep stirring over a lower fire, to soften the carrots and potatoes. Also to let it thicken as some of the water is boiled off. Tasted okay, then scoop and serve beside a bed of rice.

It was my lunch and dinner, and lunch and dinner the next day. It was enjoyable. My sis also ate that for dinner and lunch the next day. By the second heating up of the curry, all the carrots and potatoes have softened up. Definitely something u prepare when u are not too hungry. To me, its good cos not too salty, every bite has either minced meat, carrot, onion and potato. Not like the authentic ones which has just a few cubes of meat which doesnt last until u finish the rice.

Burger n meatballs - minced pork

Before the hols, I got a basic recipe from my colleague that I wanted to try out. Cross-checked with another one. Plus I had to use up the spring onions and I wantee more onions. Modified the recipe.

First time making my own version of a burger. Wanted it to be "healthier" so more onions and later added the spring onions. Put in 2 eggs and 2 slices of bread. After mixing all in, seems more onions than meat. Or can say the patty didnt resemble outside patties. I had wanted to add shredded carrots but it was already bursting with all the ingredients so skipped that. Maybe next one to make will be carrot burger. Chilled in the fridge while I cleaned up and prepared the sliced tomatoes, washed the lettuce and cut up the cucumber sticks and even made pickled cucumber.

Fried the patties about 4 mins on each side over low fire once the oil is hot. I had 6 patties and made the rest into meatballs on a whim. Experimented with frying only, frying then baking and baking frying. 3 different batches with slight differences. The pure fried tasted between a burger and a meat patty my mom usually cooks but this is more moist. The fried then baked is moist and jucier inside. Btw cucumber sticks without the seeds is nice and crispy. The 3rd is crispy outside. Didnt eat that cos my sis packed and passedpto other sis.

I considered quite successful, played around with 3 ways of cooking. Ate and finished off some of the ingredients at home. Sister also ate. So considered.successdul. That was lunch and dinner was meatballs. Added some flour and pan-fried. Later baked with a small square of cheese over. The ones with cheese over it ends up being moist. And the overheated cheese became a brown layer like pastry. Adds a dried cheese taste which is not bad too.

So these two-three cooking attempts dont mark the end. Will rest up a bit then try to practice my drums which I haven't touched in 3 weeks. Later on, see which food item strikes my fancy to give it a try.

No comments: