Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Second set of 10 days have gone by...

Did quite a bit of stuff,  time did fly by. So fast, I only have 10 more days to rest up b4 work starts...

1) Diet
Was kinda losing a bit of weight n also controlling my calories until last Fri, Sat where all hell broke loose with the hi-tea n buffet. Still out of control until Tuesday evening. I'll try to rein in for 2 days until Taipei trip.

2) KM
I was trying to clear as many lessons as I could by going for 2 doubles, twice to thrice a week. Once work begins, am only going to the Advance class which is at 8.30pm so that I could rest after work, eat dinner, go home and drop my stuff and pick up my gear plus even rest up. And the buses and trains wouldn't  be so insanely crowded then. Will aim for 3 times a week including a Sat morning class to improve my Striking.  Sat would be a boxing style training with skipping, striking drills. To address one of my weakness.

3) High-Tea indeed
The hi-tea last Fri with Cyn & Tab was ok. Mainly becos of the view, despite the cloudy rainy weather earlier. Of the 10 items, like the ham sandwich with a small egg on top. It's savory and the ham tasted very good. 3 items were savory, 7 were sweet. Really too sweet for my liking. A couple of nice photos. A good experience,  but pricey. $48 after all-in plus truffle fries. Ouch.

Cos Cyn was sharing about her recent health problems n hospitalisation n she used certain words, so they kinda stayed in my mind n would never be the same again. Kinda not his tea appropriate topic while I am eating scone with strawberry jam...

Later after she left. Tab and I had lots of laughs,  joking about those words used.

4) NeNe Chicken & bad jokes
The misadventures continued after the Hi-tea. I asked if Tab would like to check out the 熊掌包 in Scape.  Cos been intending to eat in but failed. Though we did walk there, it had shifted to Bugis. Huh, wtf?

So we settled for NeNe Chicken which inspired Tab with a lot of bad neh neh jokes which kept me groaning n rolling my eyes. We ordered takeaway cos no seats. Then just nice when we got our food, there were seats. Very nice n juicy chicken. I thot were wings but were chicken parts like KFC but very moist n juicy n flavorful. Had the spicy which wasn't hot at all. Next time I will try the super spicy one.

5) "Old-people" trap
We walked about in Scape, new retail shops and changes. We headed up to the higher floors n at the 4th, 5th floors that had some open spaces with bunches of youths practicing their hip hop, break dance, the escalator had this raised indent for wires that was at about 2 inches in raised height that we kinda tripped or get one foot caught cos we didn't raise our feet higher. I remarked that it's an "Old-people", "uncool people" trap.

How we know whether u old or not, cool or uncool is see if u r nimble not light on your feet. Then u won't be tripping over these raised parts n they kinda keep old, uncool pple away cos only they would trip ;)

There's a free air-con room with wi-fi for anybody. We happily sat down inside the lounge which was empty with few pple while outside, at the free spaces n corridors, "cool" youths are break dancing.

Hung there until DF came. We went to Botak Jones next door. Later went to peep at the Game center in Cineleisure. It was kinda empty except for the dart machines.

6) Ikoi Japanese Buffet
Very worth it. That day with Tab n DF,  the salmon n swordfish were fresh. Ate a lot of sashimi. Plus the tempura - prawn, whiting fish were very good. Totally missing it now.

We went to Funan IT mall cos I introduced FFXIV to them and DF was tempted. Man, I didn't know it was out since last Aug. Only cos I saw the theme song - Answers n later watched the opening cinematic video on YouTube. Woah! I was blown away. We checked our the prices of the PS4 console, the games n subscription. Don't think I can have time to play it plus don't have the high speed Internet to do so. Still, sigh...

7) Wanderlust - Tiong Bahru (one trip), Maxwell (one trip)
Took bus 175 from my area n dropped at Tiong Bahru area where there's a whole area of low-rise shops n flats. Passed by numerous times n now finally explored it. Saw a bunch of cafes,  traditional n modern bakeries. Interesting traditional old-school coffee shops that really reminds me of Malaysia. But I didn't have the stomach to eat at the 3-4 old-school coffee shops selling Yong tau fu,  porridge, Haunches curry rice, pasta, Teo chew style porridge. Next time.

The hawker center abv the market caught my eye not I went there. Huge circular full of Chinese food. I walked one round, it had at least 50 stalls. I looked and noted those with queues. Then I decided to eat  卤面餜条 at this stall 178卤面. It had the extra portion for $3.50 where there's fried shark meat fillet n crisp added. The taste was fantastic. It is the old-school traditional tasting taste which is very flavorful,  not 膩, light n the shark meat fillet crisp was wonderful.  Now THIS is the real lu mian,  none in my area can hold up. Think I would go there just for it in the future. YUMZ!

On my way, I bought apple pie n some Nonya kueh ffrom a traditional old-school bakery, odneh,  tapioca cake, queh lapis etc for mom and sister to eat. I didn't eat them but my mom told me the queh were very good. My sister ate the apple pie and said it was very good and worth the price. 2 big slices for $3. Bought 芋角 and a 罗卜糕, so dad won't be leftout. Didn't buy much. It's very old school, 粗但够味.

The following day, my body clock went crazy and I woke at 5.45am and couldn't sleep so by 8am,  I decided to head out. To Maxwell area,  CBD,  Golden Shoe. A trip down some nostalgic parts. Since I was there at Maxwell Food Center by 8.45am, I could hunt and find the famous tapioca cake n odneh odneh to dabao. I ate 2 slices of 木暑with sweetened gula meleka with coconut gratings. It's my breakfast.

Walked down along whichever path that seemed to lead to the OCBC building. Passed by Amoy street and the food center. Then reached the China Square and I just am compelled to buy Mr Teh Tarik and continued on to Golden Shoe hawker. But nothing catches my fancy. So walked to UOB plaza, decide to walk towards Clark Quay and caught a bus back.

These 2 trips have been Very fruitful.

No comments: