Friday, May 13, 2016

Family stuff on the SG side will soon come to an end and then the Msia side...

We have just received the Letter of Authority (SG) yesterday, which gives my Mom the legal power to settle my Dad's remaining stuff in SG. This entails me accompanying her to 2-3 banks, CDP, even to the 3 brokerages to close his remaining known accounts, and contacting NTUC regarding the very small holding of co-op shares. Getting the details still fall upon my shoulders, Mom is unable to do that. Luckily the internet is powerful these days and lots of info can be found online. If not, go to their website and get the contact info, then make calls to get details before heading down. Saves on a lot of wasted trips or assumptions but it meant at least I wasnt shy about making such calls unlike my sister. I dont have social phobia at least. All these happening next week. To prepare, I am making all the calls today to enquire and find out about the relevant steps and documents necessary to bring along. Then the final step is to go about them, might take a couple of days to run all-over to the places.

Then for the Malaysian side of things... After the Vesak Day weekend and my Dad's first year and final birth date, small ceremony during the same weekend, I will have to accompany Mom to JB to see if the banks recognise the SG LA before the first meet-up with the Msian lawyer can be arranged. Then let things get started and continue from there. At least 2 trips into JB for that excluding other things. If other steps like having to go to High Court in Malaysia, that would be troublesome. Logistics-wise and also more trips in... See how then. And there is also the matter of my Mom making wills in SG and Msia. Again I see myself ending up accompanying her but when discussions, I would excuse myself to be outside. Am in charge of paying her stuff and keeping an eye on her.

Sigh... It really took so long to get here. And yet in for another round at the Msia side. All these have implications for my job search. I find myself deferring due to all these developments and the fact I have to accompany. The economy isnt doing well and so the unemployment part does worry me. Hope things will get sorted out in the long term. Somehow things will work out eventually. Keeping myself grounded and trying to be happy, work on my diet and exercise daily and for strengthening legs and knees slowly and gradually.

No comments: