Monday, January 16, 2017

2017 is already here...

I like this poster meme about New Year Resolutions but can't find the pic to share online. So lemme quote it

" My goal in 2017 is to accomplish the goals I set in 2016, which I should have done in 2015 because I made a promise in 2014, which I planned in 2013."

This kind of sums up what new year resolutions turn out to be. A sort of a fleeting thought, fresh in the mind in January but by March, it became a figment of the imagination.

I believe in daily resolutions or even weekly ones. The reason is sound. If you want to do something about it, do it today, or within the next few days. Or you will lose the drive to do it.

If I have decided I will go for KM thrice a week, I start looking at the calendar for the week and slot in the days. I try to go for one session as soon as I can before I lose the motivation and proscrastination sets in. If you allow it, deferring to tomorrow can stretch out to many tomorrows and soon, before you realise, weeks or months have gone by.

By doing things within a scope of a few days or a week, it becomes like a list of things to do within the week. You kinda go about your week and doing things without too much thought. Before you know it, you have actually kept at doing that you have planned.

This I feel is more effective than waiting until the end of the year to see how your new year resolutions have fared.

Of course, being without a job does give me time on hand. And the challenge for me is to see if I could keep this up when I have a full-time job. But lemme reassure you, the proscrastination is the same irregardless of the job status. Deferring things still happens but I try to keep things within the week. Though at times there are a few things which have dragged over two-three weeks.

No comments: