Monday, May 01, 2006

A very very 'drunken' weekend

As the countdown is finally down to the final week of practicum, and there is a long weekend courtesy of Labour Day, coupled with the supposed jap test, Saturday was to be a day of celebration after jap lessons. BUT the test is postponed to one week later, which meant I have to study again for another week as I had forgotten most of it as soon as I had finished studying...

Oh well, me and Tab ended up queuing at Fish & Co in wheelock place for a while then we feasted on some very delicious fish and had 2 drinks each. Highly recommended cocktails: Deep sea, lime goggie and fishy maria. Then as krynnder and zx were joining us, we went over to Big O that was just next door and queued. After we got in, me and tab shared a Darkside and a milkshake. It was like too much fattening stuff in a day. Not to mention it did burn a bit of a hole in me pocket. Went home feeling satisfied, think its the drinks.

The next day, met Tab again to go to the Concourse to buy supposedly cheap stationary and toys to give our classes to bid farewell. (But for my case, I have a hunch that its not really farewell...) Lets just say, there were just 5-6 shops selling tibits, stationary in bulk. And it was not all that cheap, cos there is a tibit shop near my place which sold some cheaper. Hence I decided that I was not buying and not going to lug those tibits around town. But Tab did. Okay, I did help her to carry at some point.

Anyway dinner was at Marches. I was telling Tab about my impression that whenever I or friends end up at Marches, we'll just end up eating Rosti. My sister agreed with me, saying that the Rosti is one of the cheapest things on the menu and its filling. Hence the choice. Tab's reply was that they sold good rosti, she like potatoes, she buys it often. Huh? Hello but eating rosti at almost every visit is just too much. Hence I resolutely promised myself that I would eat something else. Tab went off first to get her food and predictably its rosti. Well moo moo to that.

My turn, I walked 2 rounds. As I had some diet restriciton imposed on me ie no chicken skin, less chicken, no chilli and no deep fried food, suddenly alot of the more interesting food were out. Seafood also out cos mostly deep fried. Stir-fried vege just seemed too much for me alone. I walked straight past rosti without looking. Went to the steak stall and ordered Meat loaf set. Not that band Meat Loaf but the real meat loaf. It came with an egg, slice of meat loaf and lots of mash potatoes and gravy. I'll cut a piece of meat loaf, mix with mustard, ketchup, mash, gravy and egg yolk. It tasted nice. Though the meat loaf taste just like luncheon meat except without its saltiness. So Tab tried one and said "english luncheon meat". Well moo moo to me.

Over dinner, I continued about the Rosti issue. Finally I realized why so many people ordered rosti- there is just not that much choice of food in Marches and rosti was really one of the cheapest besides the jumbo chicken set. Tab disagreed saying that her rosti cost about $12.90, which later to turn out to be $9.90 as she was mistaken. So our discussion turned poetic when Tab suddenly sprouted some poem about Rosti.

"Oh my delicious Rosti,
____forgot____ for me" (Tab pls put up ur poem or limmerick at ur blog)
My face turned... Pui pui.

Anyway then the conversation went to "Da Rosti Conspiracy". OMG!

To solve da rosti code, one have to purchase a serving of rosti and piece together the individual strands of potatoes to find the code. If that fails, then try by putting the rosti strands in formation with the sausage provided to find the next clue...

Okay it was too much and I turned my attention back to the rosti stall which really enjoyed good biz. There were some people whom walked around, milled around staring at the other food but eventually they ended up buying rosti. Its a rosti conpsiracy!

Later after dinner, we searched for Galiano at Carrefour but couldnt find it and headed down to Timber. Near SMU. There was a performance by UBlue, a rather popular blue band. We went in around 8.30pm and it was rather empty so we ordered 2 drinks. The drinks were normal priced but the happy hour pricing made it more affordable. A snowball for Tab and a Valencia (appricot liquer with orange) for me. Not bad. The Happy Hours are daily 6-9pm and there is 10% discount for educators daily but not during HH. So we chatted and took photos of our drinks. Tab commented that the series of photos she took, can tell a story. Well after alot of crapping, we ordered another drink before 9pm. A Waterfall for Tab (vodka with cranberry and grapefruit juice) and an Earthquake for me (gin, bourbon and vermouth-A sweet or dry fortified wine flavored with aromatic herbs and used chiefly in mixed drinks) It was a stronger drink, think they mixed with soda water cos couldnt taste any juices.

The performance started around 10pm and the band alternated between blue and soul. Whenever they hit the blues, I felt sleepy then perked up during their soul performance. The place was packed by then and many were eating the pizza, which is a thin crust pizza baked on wood. It looked good. Should try that. Whilst during the last blue song before their break, I noticed that Tab shut her eyes and thought she was either sleeping with rem eye movements, listening to music trying to see the picture in her brain?, or tired? So i asked her. It turned out she was very tired so she closed her eyes but didnt want to sleep cos of the good music but she couldnt take it liao. So we finished up our drinks and went off during the break. A pity but nevermind, cos I dun really dig blues, even soul pales in comparision to rock. Yar, give me a good rock band anytime. Still the place is nice, not so much smoke, open-air, HH cheap drinks, also discount for educators! One more watering hole discovered!

Again after those 2 days-in-a-row drinking and eating and merry-making, it set me back with a hole in my pocket. Hmm I updated my passbook and noted that I didnt save much this month. Think most of it went to hostel fees $260, $200 allowance advance for mom for next month, $240 exchanged to RM for trip to msia next month and the few eating and drinking sessions and taxi rides this month. Hmm should cut down a bit. Not much left and havent bought the stuff for class and collegues and Ct yet. Going to have a family holiday at Segamat, my mom's hometown, during the coming Vesak long weekend. Going to visit my brother and my entire family is going. First time in god-knows-when since we go as a family to somewhere else except home to msia. Something new and worth looking forward to. Yay official countdown is 4 more weekdays to final freedom.

No comments: