Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Kite flying & FH's Forever Love wedding lunch

Its been another hectic week where I am quite zombified because I am not drinking coffee at all in the mornings. I try only to drink Coke Zero after lunch on a full stomach because its very acidic and not good on an empty stomach. Plus I am still sleeping after 1.30am on working days. Which meant I am ultra-zombified, and lose track of time at times. Sometimes time passes really slow and its ONLY monday or tuesday, but sometimes time zooms past and its already middle of the week. I guess the heavy days on mon and tue meant that they drag out whereas the moderate days on wed and thur meant I can catch a breather and time zooms faster. Then on the lightest day of Fri, I am keen and ready for the weekend to come.

So far, been too busy to blog. But wanna write down some stuff that happened as a record.

Sat - after guitar class, which was surprisingly better (though I didnt practice but at least I didnt leave with a headache) I met up with Tab and Candle to go the Marina Barrage. Frankly I havent been there and dont know where or what it is. We were to meet at 4pm but since my class ends about 2-2.30pm at times, it meant I have a couple of hours to kill. I walked over to buy my Toto and settle lunch. My favourite stall in Po Mo that sells the Korean food is gone. In its place is some fusion western and some pasta but I didnt want to eat those. Settled to dabao a Subway wrap and a pack of 4 omelette sushi, 2 bottles of tea. Stuffed them all in my bag and walked to the bus stop. Munching sushi on the way there (much like student days), eating on the go.

Hopped onto No 7 bus and ended up in Bugis, near Illuma. I walked in and stood at a corner to eat my wrap while looking at this event of sort happening in the common area. Illuma is really not doing well, quite empty, certain shops closed off. After I was done, I walked via the linkway which directly links to Bugis Junction. Having nothing much in mind (cos stomach full and not thirsty, dont feel like shopping) so I just walked past and take mental notes about changes or any stores that might be relevant to a future need I might have. Walked out of it and headed to Suntec, Marina Square direction. I decided to explore the alley where the TOY Mint museum was at while I was walking past Bras Basar. Made an imprompto decision to cross the road to explore that lane, cos there seems to be some eateries there. I walked and saw at least 2 chicken rice stalls, a famous beef kway tiao stall, and some others. Its a lane full of mainly food. So next time after guitar, I dont have to settle for just a wrap or sushi that cost more than a meal over there. I will definitely give it a go soon.

Walked behind the Raffles Hotel and saw the entrance, really looks like a green oasis in the midst of the concrete jungle and headed into Marina Square. I decided to walk via the Esplandae linkway because I can avoid the Garretts pop corn aroma in the main citylink. Great especially when I am already over-eating nowadays. Arrived and met up with them. Then we took the cab to the Marina Barrage. I was reminded of the Marina area where there's this huge grass patch where we used to go to fly kites as a class outing thingy many years ago. Tab was saying apparently its gone already, developments are happening all over the Marina area, so its gone.

We walked up to this grass lawn on top of the New Water treatment plant and barrage, but I was carrying a heavy load so walked slowly. We saw a kite shop, took a detour and went inside to see. There are really big kites inside for about $30++ dollars. Candle and I bought an ice cream each and we walked up the winding path up to the barrage. I was very happy just to sit on the grass (actually I sit on my sandals) and enjoy the strong breeze. Its very refreshing and a great feeling of freedom. Watched as Tab flew her yellow Angry Bird kite and let it 'bomb' other innocent bystanders. Candle was flying a basic kite but tangled the strings cos she and I are more old-school. We are not used to the new kite wheels. I sat and just watched and later helped to untangle the strings. Later it started drizzling and the winds died down, and we headed to the shelter and made our way down the stairs. The lift is not working. We were staring at the feast that a group of youths had. It was someone's birthday and they had quite a picnic spread; 2 pizzas, fried chicken wings, onion rings, chips, designer cup cakes, nuggets, strawberries, grapes, apples and drinks. I joked about pressing up against the glass wall and looking at them pitifully to get food.

We waited for Quetzal to come fetch us. She also hasnt come to the Marina Barrage before, so we walked around a bit. I decided to change into Candle's present ; an Angry Bird white T-shirt and walk in it. Cos otherwise I might just keep on keeping it and not wear it. We headed to Marina Square to eat at this Suki-ya steamboat buffet place. There was a long queue by the time we arrived, so we joked and crapped to kill time. Thankfully Quetzal had the wits to buy a box of nuggets to fill our teeth while waiting. So we dont faint from hunger. When we got in, it was just nice, about 8.15pm so the 100min time limit to eat is just nice before the place closes. I really ate alot. Happily drinking the soup too. I only wished to have more stomach. An incident involving Tab and the cheezal molten cheese almost nearly ruined my hair and white T-shirt. Phew, luckily I was too engrossed eating and bent over my food. Eat until so full, when I woke up the next day, I 'coughed' out some undigested food cos of my phelgm and coughing tendencies in the morning. I dont mind going there again. Totally like the food alot. The order of the fried White fish is also good and chewy. Nice to break the taste of the soup and soupy food.

Sun - was FH's wedding lunch at Mandarin Hotel. I set my alarm at 7.30am cos the night before, I didnt manage to iron my clothes. I dug them out and put them aside. Though I did go to bed very late about 3am. Woke up and got ready. Packed bag with gym gear (towel, gym clothes, water, shoes) and make-up set plus perfume and hair spray. Bag very heavy. I had to iron my top twice cos after the first iron, still crumpled when I wore it. Had to take off and iron again. Decided to take a cab down. No time nor appetite for breakfast. I arrived first and headed to the toilet in the shopping gallery. There's a huge make-up counter inside. So put on make-up and the works. Headed to the concierge and pick up the guest lists and headed to the reception area. The rest arrived and we proceeded to set up.

We get to order the Club sandwich and some plain water for all the hungry sisters. According to the schedule, the brothers get to eat breakfast, but all the sisters came without breakfast. Took a while to arrive but it was really delicious especially after factoring in the hunger too. But the portion is too big and we got some of the brothers to eat too. Nothing too much went wrong with exception of the suddenly missing Table 4, which was not communicated to us. Well due to the small number of tables, not difficult to resolve.

The wedding began with the ROM but didnt get to see cos there were still guests coming in. Gotta man the reception. Later when it started, we headed in with the albums, ang bao box with us so that they can officially start. After the grand entrance of the cold dish, we headed to the suite to put the stuff and valuables in the safe. We were fooling around and joking around in the room, how the views not good, one right at the wall, another at unsightly construction. The massage chair also not comfy.

Went back to the table and had lots to crap about. No wonder we are put at the end of the room. The laughter is quite loud. Especially during the MTV. We did our 'version' during the photo taking after the rest of the guest left. Best wishes, hope they live happily ever.

PS: That single ang bao from GM is the largest and most generous amount I have ever gotten for jie-mei reception only. Wow... but havent touched it yet

No comments: