Tuesday, September 27, 2011

2nd Sports Day, Paying to make a fool, The End

This year's Sports Day was held on a Sunday at an open field that is called Ayer Rajah Sports Centre. It's just a big field with an equipment cum toilet cum small snack shop building. Last wed, had to go there and my hands were sunburnt cos I wore the fashion sleeves as a protective cover for my arms, wore long track pants. Only back part of the hands were sunburnt.

Prayed feverishly for a sunny day cos if it rained, had to go back to workplace and have lessons!!! It would be so tough to have lessons on a Sunday... Luckily it didn't. I ser my alarm clock at 6.30am on a Sun but refused to get out of bed, snoozed 20mins. By the time I got ready and headed out, 7.15am, maybe not enough time to go to workPlace, change then walk over to that field. So grabbed a cab to the workplace. It's literally a short drive away. I arrived and the security told me the Jap colleagues left already. I just changed into my 138 T-shirt, that being our designated uniform. Then I grabbed my stuff and walked quickly to the place. Halfway there, I saw the school bus. The bus uncle (whose bus I was in charge of bus duty) actually stopped the bus, to let me hop on. So saved several more minutes. I thanked him and got down. I made it there before 8am.

There wasn't much for me to do. I was under equipment. There are like 4 teachers, a group of student helpers. I literally have nothing to do. So I just stayed seated at the tent throughout. But the sun still got to me. My lower half of the face plus neck are sun burnt. I didn't bring nor apply sunblock. I thought my visor plus staying mainly under the tent was enough but it wasnt. I didn't feel anything until evening when it became slightly painful.

The free bento was surprisingly good. Plus drank a half dozen cans of 100 plus, Pocari and Green tea provided. Chatted with the office staff a bit here and there. Mainly sat and did nothing and watched the sport events. The level events are very interesting. Can see the class team work in these whole class events. I cheered for some and tried to enjoy myself. I did mainly excluding the local colleague counterpart complaining. Just one ear in, one ear out. Her replacement came too. An Indian lady and they were discussing the handover. I didn't want to evesdrop cos they had no duties and sat with me at the equipment tent and I just walked a bit further off to sit and watch the events more uninterruptedly. I don't think I need to listen in. Plus I didn't want to engage with small talk to 'get to know' that Indian lady cos this year I am getting kinda fed-up with getting to know the new people. So many people change. For me, just knowing ur name and teaching subject is enough. I don't need to know too much else. After everything ended, and the last bus left. Helped to clear up and headed home by bus. By then my face was hurting. Only looking at the mirror, did I know I was sun burnt. Bathed and changed for the dinner at Manhill restaurant. I had turned down everything thus far, so unavoidably had to somewhat go for this one.

I was told by a same level Jap colleague that WE are doing a caterpillar walk (all ankles bind together) plus wear this red/white cap that Jap pri kids wear... I was to be par of that. Think I can say no. Basically I already going, can't say no right. It's one of the more innocent things. Basically wear a kids hat and walk as a short caterpillar. Fine... Though it really goes against my Chinese expectation tha I paid $50 for a dinner, not pay to make a fool of myself. Another area of cultural clash.

I arrived earlier cos bus came early. Saw my level colleagues there getting ready. The emcee kena saboed. Must use lip-stick on entire face as part of the Jap jokes. Totally don't understand. It's those play of words, slap-stick jokes. Totally clueless. The food was good though I still think they might be 'cut vege head' a bit. After the meal was mostly done. I had to join the group of same level colleagues at the staircase, strap the wraps to my ankles, put on the pri sch white cap then we 'walked' in chanting Dan Go Dan Go. It's like Dan is right feet move, Go is left feet move. Luckily I didn't trip... The head of the level followed behind wearing a mask n a pair of rabbit ears. The P wore funny glasses. I totally don't get it (nobody) translate, just did my part and siam. Then shortly after dinner finished and I shared a cab with three others to go home. About half went for second round elsewhere. Super tired by the time I reached home. It's been a long day. Some parts good, a few parts not so good. I wasn't that chatty at the table, as in I don't really initiate smal talk. I just eat and look and listen. Others ask me questions then I answered them and talk a bit. I am fine not talking much or knowing much about one another's personal lives. It's okay cos mainly I dot really care. Sometimes I am curious bu since we are not that close, I don't really care too much. But some did ask me how to say a few phrases in Mandarin. Those I entertain more friendly. But even these type of talks left me pretty glad dinner was over and can go home. The taxi ride I was quiet too. Until strangely Headless asked me a weird qn. She asked me why I wasn't in the Dan Go dance??? I thought she was talking about the emcee (I was told later initially they wanted me to be the emcee) She also ?? When I replied they didn't ask me to. After clarifying what exactly was the question, I answered that I was in that caterpillar walk thingy just that I was the last person. Duh though? Didn't say much else then arrived near WCP and I got off.

Mon was off in-lieu. I contemplated going out but the RED and falling stock market kept me glued to monitoring the prices. Also tidied up all my investment statements, organized them then later analyzed my investments. Plus slept and watched anime. Until late afternoon, went out to buy my yoghurt supplies and folders. Then in the evening was my final assignment. It's over. My 2 weekdays are back to being mine. I also say goodbye to an additional source of income but the break is seriously welcome. I want to focus on gym, guitar plus lots of rest and personal time... Before I've recharged enough to decide to take up something else.

No comments: