Saturday, October 01, 2011

Surf's Up @ Wavehouse

On Wednesday, it was a shorter day at workplace. Students left at 3.15pm. But we always have to stay until 5pm. The different levels had to go out to 3 different locations to do a recee of the respective location for the last major event called Sketching Day. I headed to Fort Canning Park, my designated level location. They call it a preview but that sounds so wrong. It's a recee to us locals. I know I won't have much duties but despite that still have to go.

At 4pm, I got a ride from my colleague and didnt have to pay for cab. We ended up on that part of Fort Canning near the museum, right up from the back of Funan. Walked around with them to see where exactly are the limits where students cn wander about to draw. Glad for the old treescos very well-shielded from the sunlight. Just that its all green. Imagine 3hrs doing nothing, I better bring books to read, charge I-phone.

After we are done at the recee, it was about 5pm. I was invited to my local colleague's farewell level party at Wavehouse @ Sentosa. They were recee-ing there. I decided to take a cab and cab into Sentosa too. After 5pm, the cab surchage into the island is $2. But I also tio the peak hour surcharge. Cost me $17 to reach. I got off and was just enquiring about where is Wavehouse when I saw the whole bunch of colleagues waving to me. I joined up with them. They are waiting for two more people. I was on the phone with my local colleague who was on her way but would be late. She's alright with making her own way there. But we still waited about 10minutes before heading to the place, leaving the other 2 to find their way.

It has been several years since I've last went to Silso beach. The beach now is a whole bunch of places to spend money, with pubs, food joints, the I-fly and Wavehouse and many more. We registered, showed ID and got a wrist identification band. Theb we went to change. I wore my suit under my gym wear. Cos though we are colleagues, I dont feel comfortable showing u my tummy or butt in the suit. I came out and all the ladies wore their stuff under t-shirt and hot shorts. We headed out to the wavepool.

There are two, one is the barrel which is twirling surf wave for experts, the other is an inclined angle, with fast flowing water, mimicking a surf. U hold onto a rope held by an instructor, then stand on a board and slowly launch into water then try to balance and surf. Initially we all wipe-out. Me especially. But after 2-3 tries each, all of my Jap colleagues got it. They are able to balance and surf. I was still wiped out. The water is really strong, really washed away to the end where u pick up the board and walk down a gentle incline slope to the starting point. But it was really cold waiting for my turn. I was squeezing out the water from my t-shirt cos too wet and cold. Lots of laughing at each other especially different styles of surfing (I was still wipe-outing then) but overall a good experience.

At the end of 1 hr, definitely worked up an appetite. While we waited for seats, all of them bought 1-1 alcohol. I didn't want to cos my stomach was empty. I wanted food first. We finally got to sit down but service was slow. All food and drinks are 1-1 so u get two of the same item. We ordered 2 pizza, carimari rings, foot long garlic bread, foei gra with dark breast, nachos and doubled the amount came, enough for 10 to share. Ordered two buckets of Heniken and two jugs of lime margaritas. The margarita is strong, initially it came first and I took a sip. I could taste the alcohol and told my local colleague not to drink fast. Cos we were both thirsty without an initial drink. The food just arrived and we tucked in. Later I got a bottle of Heiniken when I've finished two margarita. The food is surprising good. The pizza and calarari rings, the garlic bread. The foie gra with the bit of toast, caramalized apple or pear plus the duck meat with a veg. It's really small tapas style but the taste is reach. That dish is enough to share out but the Jap colleagues didn't eat much so I ended up eating most of the foie gra dish. The garlic bread loaf that came is delicious when piping hot. It's really nice. The nachos is like a mountain though the cheese not melted through. But really filling.

We made our way to the sky train and at Vivo I decided to cab with 2 colleagues back cos didn't want to squeeze bus but took more than 20mins plus have to call for cab before one arrived. Took a quick shower before falling asleep. I put on muscle cream cos I heard muscles will ache after. The only peeve was having to work the next day. True enough the next day, my shoulder was aching a bit. I asked the Aussie colleague why. He said that cos when we fell off the board n wipe out, we land on our shoulder as we impact the water. So u don't feel it on the day itself but it manifests the next two days. It's gets worse on the second day. Wow I didn't know that. I did ask him how he manages to work like this... The Jap colleagues got it worse cos they balanced on the board so their whole body ache. Cos I reckon u use those less used muscles to maintain balance.

I thought I would be spared more cos I only wiped out. Yes cos only my neck and shoulders ached slightly but by the thur, it got really really sore. That I pasted two patch of plaster and laid in bed early cos I felt I couldn't lift my neck. Just aching alot and I didn't felt like moving at all on thur evening. By fri, my neck was fine, shoulders still aching a bit but manageable. By late fri evening, it's mostly gone. I had intended to go gym straight after work at 5pm. I ended up clearing work until 6.30pm.
By then feeling tired. Headed home but I changed straight into gym gear and forced myself out. Dad gave me a ride to the gym. It was almost 7.30pm then. Did my usual and ended about an hour plus. Reached home past 9pm, ate dinner and bathed. Feels very relaxed and slept really well.

No comments: