Thursday, October 06, 2011

A slow week... irritating chatter

This week is extremely slow. It's just Thursday, not even Friday. I anticipate that I will OT tonight to finish piahing the exam paper marking. The sort of agreement is I help to mark more cos I didnt help to set. Which is true. Just that from the 1st exam experience, to mark in 2 different colours, slows me down a lot. So I cleared my work quickly and expected I could start straight after the paper was over but not yet. So I have to wait, most probably after lunch and all the home room. I will piah very hard to finish it asap. It would take me hours. Hope I wont have to stay until 9-10pm. That was an experience in itself.

The remaining local colleague is leaving. The new colleague comes in and she's too chatty. Talk and talk and talk. She will latch on to a person convenient and talk and talk and talk. Unfortunately since Monday, she sat at the empty, resource table right beside me. She asks the darnest questions, that I am tempted to roll my eye-whites. Its bad enough that I have to entertain some of these questions from my jap colleagues but to have to entertain non-stop is another matter. She is non-cheena and not local. She doesnt have much to do for now so she just chats and chats. When she sits at the local colleague's table, she latches on to Headless and talks and talks. Once Headless goes away, within 10s, she would make a comment or ask me a question. I was clearing my work and just answered her a few sentences. Then Headless comes back and she talks to her endlessly. Then repeat again when Headless had to leave her seat. Within 10s, she tries to talk to me again. I answered her one sentence then told her I cant really talk cos I am doing my work. I've realized she's been repeating the same questions and information about herself in these conversations she try to hold but its not really a conversation. Its always her, talking. Its a one-sided conversation. Hope she can get the hint and not latch onto me.

I am not that sociable a person at work. Am not a chatty person at work. I am focused on doing my work, clearing the outstanding work and even planning for the next lesson. I am not a just-in-time person. I prefer to do things especially when I am at the 'effective and productive' frame. I do give myself more breaks now but I still try to make sure things are cleared up. Nothing much pending on my end. Entirely because I dont want to stay back more than I have to nor bring work home at all. So I use the free periods to clear work especially near exams, where there is alot of checking of books, giving grades for their work. Plus unless I know you well or more personally, I am NOT interested in your personal life at all. Especially if you talk about your family and kids. Count me out.

Personally for now, I am reserving judgement until she starts her work proper and see how she is really like when she works and teaches. Now is like a lot of talking about her past long experience, writing out some lesson outlines. Now as an educator, we all know about 'paper talk'. The best planned lessons unless well executed, may not be a successful lessons. I am not saying I am zai or that good. But sometimes I think a big educator occupational problem with regards to planning is that its all 'on-paper'.

For now, I just want to clear my stuff, my level stuff and then go home. Have a more interesting life outside of work, do more stuff that will enrich my vision, personality, expand my horizon, experience and skills.

No comments: