Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween 2 years later

This year we decided to make it simple. Just something simple, not much fuss. We chanced upon these masquerade masks spectacles. Its a pair of spects but shaped like masquerade masks, for $9.80 in Far East. Bought and decided to wear matching clothes to that, minimal others.

I thought about it over Friday evening. Looking through my wardrobe, I could think of 3 possibles but when I tried them out. Liked only one. The others seem too normal and kinda dated (think its this age thing. Certain things I liked before now seems dated to me) Decided not to wear that cosplay jacket. Wore black pants, Desigual top, with the small vest plus boots. Kinda normal and down to earth except I was freaking hot just wearing the long sleeve top alone by the time I left home. I did spray alot of hairspray on my hair but by the time I reached Raffles City, it settled down and looked very normal. Met up with Tab in her dress with skirt and Zhuan with her more S&M look.

We had a delicious dinner at Skinny Pizza - breakfast pizza and bolognise pizza with double truffle fries and mash potatoes. Talked and after dinner we headed to the toilet for Zhuan to put on her make-up and her hats. On the way walking over to the ACM, we put on our spectacles. Looking rather normal. We joined groups of other halloween-goers walking in the same direction. At the ACM, more of family-friendly activities. We stopped at the stairway and this room that had lights that changed colours. More to take shots of Zhuan who had to do a feature about the 2 headpieces she had. Tab and I didnt really take much pics. Our I-phones cameras cant capture well in the funky-lit room. Took a couple with her more powerful camera.

We walked over to Clark Quay and suddenly the standard of costumes shot up. More people are in costume. But after a while, we wanted to head to Haagen Dazs cos it was really very hot. Anything cold, be it sweet or alcoholic are welcome. We headed to the ladies but came out to a HUGE human jam, having to squeeze through the whole stretch of restaurants jam-packed with humans. To make it worse, one of the restaurants had belly-dancers performing and it slowed the already damn-slow moving human jam cos guys stop and stare and took videos and pics. Took us 10minutes of squeezing to get through and reach Haagen Dazs safely. I was sweating profusely. The human jam is a super warm ball of heat and it didnt help I was in long sleeves plus a short vest. I happily took off the mask, took off the vest and rolled up my sleeves while inside the air-con.

We settled down and Zhuan went to order first. She came back with a Jewel basket - 5 mini scoops with fruits topping in a waffle basket. The mini-scoops are not small but generous scoops. Its a good deal for just $12.90. Tab and I drank the plain water and waited until the ordering crowds are gone then went and get a Jewel basket each. Where else can I pay that price and get 5 flavors. Tab ordered the milky ones, I got all the sorbets including the green tea hibiscus. Love the featured seasonal; raspberry with summerberries, not too sweet, yet feels like eating with delicious jam. The mango with apricot is delicious too. The pure mango is fragrant and the pure raspberry is sourish. First time I had such good sorbets. Even today, I find myself thinking of having another jewel basket. Yum yum. The milky flavours like creme brulee, tiramisu, rum raisin were good too but I havent been eating much sorbets at all. So its really a damn nice treat after all the heat and sweat. We chatted until about 11.30pm, when we were ready to go home.

We headed to the cab stand and saw even more costumes. A gingerbread man, a mad-hatter. Tab and Zhuan shared a cab home. I walked over past Liang court, towards UE square to take bus 143, and along the way saw many more elaborate costumes. Saw two well-built guys wearing underwear with see-through wraparound plus a pack of tissue at the vital part, maybe is either baby or cupid. Quite many costumed people milling around, near former Ministry of Sound entrance and infront of Liang Court. So that's where all of them are. We saw some but not so many elaborate costumes while walking through the Clark Quay area. I walked quickly and saw the bus at a junction and managed to dash to the bus stop before the bus arrived. An aunty at the bus stop asked me out of the blue why there were so many people dressing up weirdly at Liang Court, I answered her it's Halloween. She didnt know what it was, so I said is a festival celebrated by the ang mohs. I must have look really normal in my clothes. Yay I am not out catch attention. Reached home slightly after midnight. Glad to have a bath and wash all the hairspray out of my hair.

This Halloween can be remembered for the funky lights, the human jam and the Jewel basket with 5 mini-scoops of heavenly sorbets. Dinner was good too. Really unless one is a party animal and wants to hop around the various pubs and discos, this is good enough for me. The heat reminds me why I refused to wear the jacket, and that any costumes should consider the Singapore weather and temperature.

No comments: