Saturday, March 10, 2012

Dressing up for the graduation ceremony and final fafewell dinner

Finally it's the weekend. Wed had to dress formally, put on make-up, gel hair and wear contacts. First time all see me in contacts plus make-up and dressed smart, all together. My thinking was coz it's the last thing for the Sec3 graduating students. Also many staff leaving, no harm. Anyway I didn't have any role except sit there and clap and watch and bow. So wore long black pants with black sleeveless top. Then when the ceremony started, put on blue jacket and wore the court shoes.

Yesterday, as the Final farewell party, for the level that I have worked in, it was at 'One On The Bund' in Fullerton Bay Hotel (the converted Clifford Pier). The dress code is formal. I looked through the menu earlier, 8-course Shanghainese dinner. So I looked through my wardrobe and decided since Chinese food, wear the Cheong Sam top. My sis and I bought a different color each; mine was red, hers is black. So I borrowed the Black one, recycle the long pants and court shoes, use my tri-color (black, green, white) shawl. Do make-up, hair and put on contacts. Tada, formal (except I still carried my brown workbag, don't have any handbags but nevermind).

Man, having to bring all those make-up, contacts, hair spray and gel, top, pants, shawl to work in the morning is another matter. Had to endure my dad's early morning nagging cos he saw me carry the clothes in the clothing cover with hangers and asked. I say have to attend extremely pricey dinner and he went on and on about how it's important to attend, how he attended many when he was a lecturer blah blah. Until I told him to zip it and not talk about things he doesnt know well about (cos his dinners are paid by the staff welfare, mine is thru my own pocket) Things dont always have the same meaning when it's across cultures. I headed out ASAP to escape only to forget my contacts and had to come back.

Pass thru a day of lessons, then 3 of us were sharing cab from the workplace at 5.30pm. The dinner was set at 6.30pm. I went to the ladies to get ready at 4.30pm. Change, put on contacts, style hair, finally did make-up. I was thinking how so much hassle for a meal. Feels like how I feel going for wedding dinner. How it's a Friday and I wanna go out, relax instead. Instead of spending more than $100+++ to do this. Sigh, nevermind.

I looked at myself in the mirror. Definitely looked better and prettier but all these for a farewell dinner? Guess cultural difference do exist. I did have many colleagues, female office staff and security guards do a double take, surprised I dolled up. The sentence "穿这么美去那里?" asked. Then I would grimace and say is for the farewell lor. Then inside the staffroom, those who noticed, especially the girls would say nice in Jap. Well when all they see of you is polo-t, 3/4 pants, sport shoes, sport wear, sometimes t-shirt and jeans, being dressed up formally with make-up, contacts, styled hair, looking feminine is a different story. The contrast is too great not to notice.

Those who are leaving had left for a ceremony elsewhere. The same level colleagues would go straight to the hotel. Reached there and immediately received praises for the look. More like the difference is there. Just thank them for the compliments and smile, smile. I couldn't wait until it's over to wipe off the make-up. And take off the contacts. My eyes were super-dry from the air-con and had to put the eye-drops carefully, so as to avoid dropping on make-up face (grr even more hassle). Listened to more Jap conversation, the sole Aussie colleague is seated two seats away. Make some small talk here and there, take food pic, eat, taste and drink tea. The age gap is quite big, areas of interest also, mind-set and also many are married and have kids. Plus language barrier and different cultures. I am also not that keen to make small talk about useless stuff. If I want to know you as a person, I would ask more questions than just about superficial stuff. I did talk more later when we went to the Starbucks at the One Fullerton. Green Tea Latte with Non-fat Milk is delicious. Found that 2 other colleagues like that too.

After talking with 1-2 more colleagues seated beside me, at 10.30pm, I bid them bye and headed home. Reached home, glad finally back home. I'm sad to see some of them go. But for some, the MOE colleagues, finally they can go home. For those who face impending unemployment, sad for them but maybe better oppts for the younger ones, for the older ones is tougher. I might be a similar situation if my contract is not renewed... That's a fear and feeling of dread at the back of the locally hired non-jap, non-expatriate. Sigh

No comments: