Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Malacca trip - itself and after

In the end, they came quite late, close to 6.30pm, I had waited and waited impatiently and getting really tired cos of the emotionally exhausting final day plus waiting around with no indication of what time they would arrive. I called up the Baba House to check on the reservation, enquire about the extra mattress and amend the expected time of arrival. Luckily I called, got them to set up the extra mattress b4 we arrive and check-in cos after 11pm, nobody around to do that. Also check-in timing late np. After that still no news, I went to lie down a bit. Been waiting too long since 4.30pm.

Lay down a bit then got Whatsapp msg about meeting at a nearby 7-11 etc. Getting irritated cos it won't be the first time I was asked to go somewhere to be picked up, only to have to wait longer outside. Replied that I rather be picked up before goig anywhere since they don't know my area. Finally arrived and I headed downstairs. But I tried hard to keep my irritation to myself cos don't want it to spoil the trip. We drove to a nearby petrol kiosk, pumped petrol and bought a cashcard. Settled then got on the way.

We got pass the customs quickly with no hiccup, headed to Jusco Tebrau for dinner at A&W. I had a corney dog, with large curly fries and a large root-beer float. No wonder I busted the calories on Fri severely (region of over 90% over) basically I almost ate double my calories... But my holidays just started, enjoy now, suffer later. Saw the sweet potato and bought 2 scrawny ones as my snack. Tab forbade me from buying a huge amount cos we all were sleeping in the same room so sweet potato fart is not welcomed. Quetzal was tempted by durian puff, also not allowed to buy by Tab. We set off on the journey after dinner and toilet trip.

The journey was alright, we chatted about many stuff to help keep awake and reached the hotel without much glitch. Check-in and went to the room to drop our stuff, then headed out. It was almost 12am then. We walked over to the Jonker area with the open-air hawker set-up and the night bazaar, but all were closing. So we walked a short while then headed back. Watched a big of tv then it was lights-out. In the dark, on the mattress on the floor, I was almost asleep then I was woken by loud snoring... I tried to go back to sleep but it was too loud for me to do so. I tried sleeping on my side, pillow cover one ear, my finger cover the other. But still can hear clearly and still loud enough for me to hear and not sleep. Tried relaxin myself to try to sleep but couldn't. I then tried to cover both my ears with my hands and sleep in that position but though the snores were much less audible, it was uncomfortable for me and I could hear my own loud heartbeat... Shit! I must buy ear-plugs and put in travel bags. Thus I lay awake until 3.30am plus before the snores died and became normal breathing. I did doze off only to be woken up by snores (not as loud as initial 2nd one) and I looked at my watch, it was only 6.45am. So I lay there thinking that my norm waking time for work is 7.15am, so I'll lie until then, then get up, wash-up and go for breakfast without disturbing as much as I could. I had to switch on one light, went toilet, wash-up, and changed. Quetzal was woken up by the light and me, so she went to park her car in the hotel carpark after I told her I saw 2 empty lots. She returned and I headed out, told them I would be back around 10am.

When I left the room, outside the skies was nicely lit up already. It was still early, 7.30am plus so I killed some time by exploring around the hotel, some other wing, taking some pics. Until it was 8am, I went to the cafe to redeem the breakfast. Simple 4 dishes; scrambled eggs, toast, fried noodles and sausage. Happily piled on the egg on the toast, but some sausage n noodle to try, not as nice. Asked for ketchup from the friendly Malay lady who operates the cafe. She explained if I don't eat-in, can exchange for a canned or bottle drink. I drank a cup of kopi-o to keep awake and bought a can of coke lite from her. After that, walked out to explore the streets cos I had already finished exploring the interior.

Walked in one direction down the street, the sunlight was gentle and it was cooling. Walked down and looked at the shophouses, many were closed but some were open. This is the thing about Msia, there are some shops catering to the early birds especially some food. I walked down Tan Cheng Lok street and saw more motels, restaurants etc. Then turned to back and kinda saw the Casa hotel. Walked back and decided to try this wanton shop I saw. Quite a few locals were eating and dabaoing. I wasn't as full from the earlier breakfast, decided to try it. Ordered a small one and iced coffee. Taste-wise cannot compare to sg standard but I can taste the 'homely 古早' taste. In that aspect, I think it's slightly better than the wanton noodles in my hometown Muar. After eating, paying RM$5.10, I walked on. Wow, double breakfast. I walked towards Jonker, deciding to go left first. As I was walking, saw the Guan Yingel temple there, walked in and bought 2 lamps to light. Lit incense and made a donation. Was told a sad tale by the aunty manning the temple cos one disheveled old woman stood outside the temple doors and was reciting the scriptures vigorously. Said my prayers, lit incense and left. Felt sad for the plight of that woman. I decided to walk the lane that had slot of pineapple tart shops. Some were open but I don't have stomach for it. Bought water and walked on. I actually came upon a kumpung area and two other temples. I recognize one temple as the one I visited with my mom and her friend when we first went to Malacca together many many years ago. I think I was maybe pri or lower sec then. Took pics and walked on. Then as I was walking to another lane, this old man on bicycle rode beside me and begged for RM$5 for a meal. I had noticed him earlier, he did the same to a car parking beside the temple... I shook my head and walked off, he followed a bit behind and shortly I was back in Jonker. He rode ahead and tried the same to a car parked with a girl inside. Kinda sad to see this too. It's like you are hat old, 60s or older? Begging. It reminds me not to fall into that state when I grow older. I walked along the Jonker unbothered by anyone and around 9.45am, some souvenir shops were open. Walked into 2, bought some magnets, key-chains. By the time I reached the hotel, it was 10.15, I wasn't sure if I should head up to the room. What if both are still sleeping? So I went to the toilet downstairs and surfed the Wi-fi, that's when I saw a WhatsApp ms and realized reception is strongest in the lobby. Went back to the room, both up. Waiting for the lift, met Tab and Quet, got the card, dropped off my souvenirs and came down again. They were worried about me being kidnapped cos I was late, 10.30am then instead of 10am. Told them I wasn't sure if I headed back, they would be awake. But we decided that to set timing to return to meet up and be punctual cos there's only one cardkey.

After Quet finished her breakfast, I followed as they walked around. Showed them some shops and sights I found earlier. We ended up eating at Bibik for the Chendol, a welcome food under the then 11.30am sun. It was getting warmer. By noon, I took out the umbrella cos Malaysian sun is unrelenting by 11am-4.30pm, from my own experience. We tried to get in to eat at a Peranakan family style eatery but it was full with crkwds waiting. We walked to another featured on the map provided by the hotel, we into one near the hotel and it was very big, got enouh seats. The peranakan food was good too, not
expensive. Good service, lots of Ang Moh. After lunch and two ice Chinese tea, I wanted to go back to the hotel cos first, I had been exploring, walking around since 8.30am and second the
sun was getting intensely hot. 2pm by then. I wanted to rest off, wait about 5.30-6pm for another round. They wanted to explore, I lent them my umbrella and headed back. Took a leisurely long shower with hot then end off with cold shower. Felt more refreshed. Laid down and watched tv until I dozed off...

Woke up by a series of knocks, a voice saying room service. I opened the door and told him no need. Shortly after, they returned. Apparently, they came back shortly about 3.30pm, knocked, banged and shouted but I didn't open. So they thought I went out and both went for the massage offered by the hotel. Ops... I was really knocked out despite the 2 coffee and 2 coke lite n 2 Chinese tea drunk.

We rested a bit and headed to a lane behind the hotel where there's a bazaar of sort that locals buy and eat. The tourists go to the Jonker one, the locals head to this one. We walked over and Tab bought a Tornado (potato tornado) that comes with 3 sauces : cheese, chili and mayo for just RM$1. It was really good. We walked on and I saw this stall selling fried chicken. You just pick which parts and pay. Wings, thighs or breast. I bought a wing and a drumstick, offered to Quet cos I know how much she likes chicken. She ate the drumstick and I took the wing. OMFG, it was delicious!!! Tender, juicy and crispy and the batter was so tasty. It beats KFC. I can eat it without going for the sauce. That's how good it was. We came to Charlie's nonya and I bought a Nonya popiah large. Shared and ate it. Pretty good. We walked on and bought a sugar cane drink each to wash it down. On the way back, we bought more chicken but mostly breast and a few wings left. The drumstick sold out. I bought a tornado too. We ate happily on the veranda at the back of the hotel. Man, really cheap and great food.

Then a short trip to the room to drop stuff, wash oily hands and went to the Jonker again, this time for the night bazaar. We came across huge crowd and the performance on the permanent stage. We found seats at the recommended Fried Egg Oyster stall. Tab had fried kway tiao, Quet and I shared a big plate of oyster egg. It's really nice and tasty, lots of egg and not so much starch. There were Chinese oldies being sung on the stage nearby, man... After that, I bought a pineapple slice and a coke lite. Cos food so far lacks vegetables and fruits. No stomachache, so no prob. We walked on. I didn't buy anything much after the earlier morning of walking around. Many similar offerings. Thereafter I just eat and eat. So that was our dinner. Then they showed me how they walked to near the bridge in the afternoon, showed me the famous chicken rice stall I was telling them I wanted to try. Tab bought a t-shirt for her dad. Quetzal's tart shop wasn't open. Then we walked back , stopping at the river to look a bit. Made it back to the hotel. Used the Wi-fi in the reception area then headed back to the room.
Showered and changed. Watched Wolverine on tv. Both slept before the movie even reach the last bit. I turned down the volume but continue watching. At 12am, still awake, so continued to the next movie: James Bond, the old old ones. I fell asleep watching cos it's kinda boring. Woke up 3am plus and switched off tv. Fell back to sleep.

Woke up at 7.30am, washed up and headed for breakfast at 8am. My plan was to walk to that Chicken Rice Ball shop since I now know where it is. From my experience, it's eaten for breakfast n lunch at least, so should be open then. Had the usual 4 dishes plus sliced tomatoes, cucumber and baked beans. I went western. Took scrambled egg, toast, baked beans and the sliced veg plus teh kosong. Bought another coke lite Was finished up when Tab walked in. Waited for her to finish then asked what her plan was? To go on her own, or follow me? I told her I wanna check out shop. Can dabao to eat. So we walked over. Saw an unexpected sight. It was a morning antique bazaar along the stretch leading into Jonker. We walked and looksey. Then when we reached that famous chicken rice ball shophouses, the queue was short. I asked tab if eat or dabao, she got space in stomach to eat another breakfast? In the end we joined the queue, was let in within 2-3mins. There were tables but were filling up fast. We ordered for 2 pax and waited. Posing and taking pic for successfully entering and eating at the famous one. It came. The riceballs were superb and very flavorful. The chili is nice and different from sg ones. The chicken not so tender, another 古早味 style. Reminds me of the taste from my hometown. After eating, we dabao one set for Quet and walked back to the hotel. Along the way, we walked past 3-4 other chicken rice balls shops with nobody inside. The queue was very long by the time we came out. 早起的鸟儿有虫吃, true indeed. If you have friends who wake up early, you can also enjoy the dabao 虫 :)

Tab and Quet went to a nearby shop to buy some paper cutting. I stayed in the room to bathe, changed and packed. We check out about 11.30am plus. Went on a scenic road using the directions of the GSP and ended up at Tan Kim Hock. My garlic peanuts no more, bought dried mango, ginger n coconut sweets. That cost RM$32. Drove more scenic road until Charlie. I bought 5 keuhs, 5 nonya dumplings, 5 savory rice thingy, a Penang achar and a Peranankan achar. A hefty RM$52 for all but how many times am I going to get to eat more authentic nonya stuff. Then we ate along the journey, the keuhs, plus potato chips. That 'turtle-shell' snack is addictive. The vegetable-potato one was also very good. Bought them both from the snackguy who supplies snacks twice a week at my workplace. He would carry in 3 boxes, the colleagues pick and choose.

We reached sg with little incidences here and there but back safely. I ate half of the Penang achar with rice for another lunch. Dinner was a nonya dumpling. Overall I felt it was a good trip. I really recharged mentally, dont feel the sadness from all the farewell, completely forgot about work and stuff. Just enjoyed the moment, the present. Ate lots of different a d delicious food. I calculated the entire trip costs me S$196 all-in. It's not expensive as my work parties are worse.

Monday I ate another no ya dumpling cos one of my sis didn't and didn't want to keep too long. It's very good, generous amount of fillings. Then monday's lunch and dinner for me was Weet-bix with low fat milk, unsugared. Filling just my mouth prefers savory to sweet stuff. So I ate a bit of the veg my mom cooked and also drank the soup for dinner. I was trying to work back all the excess calories consumed over the 3 days. Damage is really huge. I did go out to run some banking errands in Clementi as well as change some RM, both to return to Mom and also prepare for up-coming Genting trip. Decided to change for RM$1k cos I owe my mom RM$300,
then Genting is not a cheap place, so just a few hundred maybe is not enough. Us if I had extra leftover, I can use to pay my sister's share of upcoming dividends as some of her shares are under my share account. That cost me S$414.90. This month's saving is also lowered.

This morning, had toasted panini bread with leftover white Chinese radish. Plain but delicious. Lunch was a serving of Weet-bix and low fat milk, no sugar. But by 4.30pm, I got munchies. Ate some sticks of that leftover veg-potato snack leftover. Trying to resist more until dinner time. Watching anime and slacking around. Think I should do some weights at home. Broke my exercise routine so re-starting takes some effort and self-prodding.

No comments: