Monday, March 19, 2012

Melaka trip - b4

I seriously cant remember which year it was, when Candle and I followed Tab and her parents into Malacca for a short trip. But this year, 2012, Tab, Quetzal and I made a journey there. The difference? We stayed right smack near the main Jonker area, in a Peranakan theme 3-star boutique hotel, among the rows of shop-houses in the Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lok, a street parallel to Jonker street.

I was searching for the Genting package for my family earlier and remembered that we had chatted earlier about going for a short trip to Malacca over the weekend when Tab and my holidays coincide. I searched for the hotels in Malacca. Selected straight the option under Jonker and saw the selection. Immediately my eye caught the 'Baba House' because it stood out as it's converted from those shophouses. Looked through what it was offered in terms of the facilities, the rates, the rooms. Msged the others, if they okay with the choice, shortly both okay and I made the booking using my debit card. Got a twin room, added a mattress, non-smoking 3D2N from Fri til Sun. The rate is $158 RM all-in per pax including for twin sharing. Extra mattress at $36. All-in we paid RM$400.05 (S$55.45 per pax) inclusive of a breakfast. The main draw was the experience of living in a Peranakan shophouses plus the proximity to Jonker, within walking distance. All set. I had RM$140 left and borrowed RM$300 from my mom first cos I was too mentally tired after work from Tue til Thur. I'll return her when I come back and go change money for the Genting trip.

The final few days were intense. Supposed to be few lessons but change time-table and got events which meant I was actually down for more periods than usual plus cca... Tiring. Then the final day on Fri was such a sad affair, the usual, students transferring out and going back, so many good students (from my advance classes) leaving. Luckily I had already given them the token present (a bookmark I printed, laminated and tied a ribbon) plus 2 snacks to each student from my classes. Kinda sad to see them go. It was even sadder when it came to the farewell speeches from all 15 colleagues leaving. When you have to sit there, even as some of the leaving teachers' voice broke when they are making their farewell speech. By the 4th, I was already trying to control the tearing up cos I worked with him very well for 2 years. Great colleague. Then wipe off with my fingers cos no tissue... Then calm down by 8th-9th only to restart tearing up again until the 15th cos students esp some female ones were crying. OMG!!! Then I realized I am NOT the only female teacher tearing up... But I kept trying to wipe the tears away and calm down, problem is once the tears come, they don't stop so quickly. Finally mostly cleared up by the end, and I went to the toilet to wash face and sit at toilet to do biz and calm down more. Really sad atmosphere.

I didn't go up to the extra-long homeroom after the farewell ceremony and stayed downstairs. When I brought up the valuables for the last 15mins, I was surprised at the end, I was also given a photo album by the form class. They prepared 3 photo albums and gave to each of us. After bus duty, I opened up to take a look. It was not an empty album, but full of pics of each student and a handwritten note in English. I read a few but stopped cos it was too much of an emotional day, didn't wanna tear up again. I felt a bit bad cos I didn't like my form class for English as much as the other classes I took. When I gave the token present to this class, I gave the bookmark and only 1 snack instead of 2 because there were 5-6 un-deserving students with bad attitude or not-on-tasks. I almost wanted to skip the whole class because the Jap way is to be equal; if I give one, I must give everyone in the class to be fair. I remembered and reminded myself that there are good students too so I 'docked' one snack for the overall. Cos there was no lesson left for the class party, I had to grab them during the free-time between classes to give to them individually, hence I was more tired. Some male students did complain that other classes got 2 but they got 1, I told them cos they werent as good. So they just nia-nia a bit and went back to class. So this was like on Wed. I'll read through the album when I am more rested and recharged mentally.

The final farewell is the usual light buffet we pay $15 for where the security guards, cleaners, office ladies and maintenance crew were invited to eat for free. Their share paid by us the staff as an appreciation and a show of teamwork (Jap very into the team-thingy) Ate a lot cos usually no time for breakfast and no early lunch for me. So very hungry. Ate mee goreng, fried chicken wings, beancurd sushi contributed by an ex-colleague who dropped by. After chatting a bit, went back to the staffroom, got more farewell presents from leaving colleagues. I got a whole bunch of Jap tidbits, teabags, 5 hankerchiefs over 2 years and lots of their namecards. I need to buy a namecard holder. Waited around until we can officially go off earlier, that was at 4pm. Before that I had made some extra bookmarks with the intention to give to most of the leaving colleagues especially the 2 whom I work with very closely this year. These 2 had different msgs hand-written behind. The others, I loomed through the 4 different msgs I wrote for students and omitted those with mention of Sec3 msg and gave out the other 3 that had a broader meaning than just congratualations for becoming sec3. Gave out to others whom I work with, not enough for all, but for most. Really mentally tired. But Quetzal and Tab not coming to fetch me straight from work, so I had to carry my stuff and wait back home. Shook hands with some and waved goodbye. Many told me to visit them in Japan, look them up when I finally go there. They can show me around, even stay with them. Great hospitality.

I reached home really mentally tired as it was really an emotionally-draining day. Waited for the car to pick me up for the trip to Malacca to recharge. I was really looking forward to recharging myself mentally. I dropped off the smart clothes I had to wear for the ceremony, picked up the money belt I forgot, dropped off more of the tidbits and workbag. Settled for just a sling and my travel bag (huge laptop backpack) instead. Waited and waited until I decided to lie down a bit waiting for a call.

Leave the rest for the next entry.

No comments: