Monday, June 07, 2004

I wanna play an electric Guitar too

Just on sunday, I went down to the Streetfest at a stage near to Hereen. The theme was Japan including Cosplay, J-pop, J-rock and gothic. Errhem... Kheldar was the one who jio me there, in fact she arranged a time like one week in advance. Yet again, due to her Dory-like scheduling (she got a Dory comb too...) she forgot about it and went instead to catch Dragonfly.... Zhong(4)Se(4)Qing(1)You(3) In the end... as a good and caring friend who does not wanna see her spend her life lonely with only a cat and a dog, I went down. (One more strike to the Jackpot)

Anyway met up with a JC friend, who is also working in the same Company as me, but she is faring way much better.... Well the band performance started by the time we got there, and there were alot of gothic/j-rock cosplayers. Some of the gals are super-sexy and pretty. Well you do see not-so-good ones but hey they are brave enough to go around under the hot sun dressed in laces and all. So thumbs up for them. Not many cosplaying guys but saw one particularly good one. Not that he is handsome or what. Its just that it really seems believable that he came out of a gothic comic. He had a scarf tied round his neck, covering his face, spikey hair and wore this cool blue and black long sleeve tight outfit. Cool! But not handsome.

The music was good, especially one band, err I think their name starts with 'E' something. They did mostly Dir En Grey numbers, and for those songs I knew, the band was right on. The music was almost exact. I also liked their Chinese compositions, along the music style of J-rock. Man I love the little melodies inside the songs played on the second guitar. The band members are more seasoned and the lead singer is good vocally. Strong vocals. I was trying to catch some guitar playing by observing the guitarist. I also wanna play those J-ROCK songs. I appreciate J-rock not only for the visual element (cosplaying and sometimes ultra-cool outfit and makeup) but much more for the music. THEY are differenent from western rock but the melodies and tunes are really GOOD, esp the guitars and bass. Very strong mix. Very angry, hyper, melanchody or sad. Even inspiring at times. For those keen for a taste. I recommend:

Dir En Grey - Garden (very rockish song)
Lar en ciel - Blurry Eyes (inspiring and uplifting)
Gackt - Seki Ray (ultra dramatic and difficult to sing)
Gackt - Last Song (very unique way of doing his voice, motivating)

These are my all time favourites. Listen almost everyday. Different moods and styles. A bit niche, but hey as long as its nice.

No comments: