Tuesday, August 24, 2004

MONKEY NO MORE? PATH TO SALVATION OR DESTRUCTION?

Well the last few weeks has been pretty hectic. Interviews and Job opportunities came and went... I didnt count how many.

(1) During the week I stayed back in M'sia, my previous temp assignment called up to continue.
Since I was not contactable (Bloody joke of a roaming feature I have in my phone. Whats the use if cannot be contacted?) But losing it is not a pity, though previously I wanted to earn as much as I could.

(2) Bank Contract job came along in that same week. Was just abruptly called on Friday and told to start work on following monday. Incidentally I got a call on Thurs from the same bank that I was to go down for a Test. Oh well, I had thot that both calls were related to the same position. Later on, then found out that one was for the contract job and the other is actually perm. So never heard from the agency. Another job went flying.

(3) The following week, went for the bank test. It was actually quite fun and pretty simple, not easy. Quite enjoyed doing the test. Pending the outcome of the test, there would be interviews offered. That week, there would be an interview for a audit perm position. I did my homework and wanted to do well. But on Thurs, received an offer letter with regards to being an Educator. I had gone for the interview earlier. Well the pay was HIGH! I had never seen such an amount. That aside, I had given the matter serious thoughts. Why I chose this area and the concerns. I tried to address my own concerns and am okay with my answers. So with the security of one job in hand, I went for the Audit interview. It was a difficult interview indeed but I wasnt as desperate. Hence I could answer better with more confidence about my self worth.

(4) Today, is the day to go down and commit to be an Educator. Just after I finished signing and everything, missed the call from the Audit firm. Later on I called back to find that they are offering me the job. I politely thanked them and declined. Cos I had about prepared myelf to be an Educator. What would I be missing?

The chance of a lifetime to switch paths from banks to accountancy. The perks of working in a prestigious firm. Dun believe, just observe pple's reaction when u tell them u work in this firm vs being an Educator... The prestige, the big annual increments, the challenges, opportunities and basically everything in the whole wide world. Right? That's what we have been taught to think of ourselves. As the greatest gift to mankind. I will change the world and be insanely successful. Well u are not wrong to think so. Go on ahead.

I feel that is not what I want. True my dream is to own the world also, but I notice that I dun fit in, in such tense and one-man uppership world. If its REAL work, I have the confidence to beat you. But if there are elements of favouritism, flattering involved. I guess I might lose. My personality is not suited to Private world. Its not that I cant change, in fact I have gotten smarter after some work experience. But this is not what I seek. Not that these elements are missing in an Educator world. I can live with it, cos my main responsibility is to impart my knowlegde, inspire dreams and pass on what I have learnt. Its to be a supportive role. I guess though I dun look it, I am okay in this aspect.

My REAL LONG TERM GOAL is to be FINANCIALLY INDEPENDENT! That will not change whether I am in Private or not. That is the real goal. The rest are means to achieve it. There is definitely more than one path. Some friends feel that my choice is dictated by circumstances and pay. Partly true. Cos if I REALLY had a choice, I wont work at all. I dun know if I made my BEST choice but at least for now, it seems true. Well no turning back, onwards to the future. I want to be committed this time around. I want to enjoy and experience the full deal before I make any judgments whether I should have chosen the latter.

A perk is more time with family and self. Oh well... we shall see after I survive my first month.

No comments: