Tuesday, February 08, 2005

CNY Emcee

Phew, just came home after the CNY concert today. So to continue last time's story. After 'piahing' all Saturday nite n into the wee hours of Sunday. There was a list of things that we had to double-check with the teachers who are in-charge of that item. So the task fell onto me, since my partner was a trained teacher, me being untrained, meant that I had more free time to do those. Off I scurried around to ambush those teachers and clarify with them things like estimated timing for the performance, time needed for removing from stage, getting certain names down on paper etc. All these allowed us to estimate the timing since no rehearsal was held. One teacher told us that she needed 7 mins for her item to be ready, hence on Monday, we had to invent 7 mins worth of new year crap and do a trial run with my partner.

But cos its Monday, there was remedial classes. And after the remedial classes, there was Taiji aerobics for all staff. Hence after all these had ended, then I sat down with my partner to discuss the above. We added lines and did a short trial-run. We decided to improvise if we had to. After all, both of us are biz students. Crapping on the spot is no problem. It was 6pm when we finally left the school.

Today is the BIG day, and I cant wait for it to be over. Cos I just had another epic battle with the mosquitoes n was feeling kinda light-headed from lack of sleep. Anyway today woke up earlier to put on make-up, wax my hair and wear a Qi-pao top with black pants and ladies sandals. The thing is that HAVE to wear red, and we are advised to wear the Qi-Pao n make-up. Oh well. At least today dun have to teach. Later I saw a collegue on the train and she remarked nice, brighten up her day blah blah... Bought some coffee to sip to wake up, brought the stuff to the backstage with my partner and waited.

After the pledge, its SHOW-TIME! I went into 'presentation' mode and we started. U know the typical greeting and introduction of ourselves as the emcees. In order to waste time, some things we did imprompto. My partner was good too, and we could coordinate with each other's actions n extra stuff we inserted at the last minute. Didnt know whether we did well, but from the stage, could see some teachers smiling including the P and VIP. Anyway at least both of us enjoyed ourselves a bit whilst we are on stage, so that makes the hard work seem worthwhile.

In fact we were so successful in wasting time, that one event was taken out. A pity cos it was fun. But its not our fault cos we didnt have rehearsals n certain items took up a huge chunk of time. Anyway, in the end, wished all a Happy Chinese New Year ahead and ended. The pupils were given red packets containing chocolates and released. I went down back to the Staff room and packed my bag to go off. I saw my partner and thanked her for a work that is well-done. Before I went off, a collegue told me that she enjoyed the show cos it was very refreshing and we coordinated very well and were very natural. She said that pupils were attentive. Oh well, it feels good to be appreciated cos alot of work on our part.

On the whole, this is the FIRST time, I am an emcee. Work is still interesting cos there are many first times. Though tiring at times, its still refreshing still.

I would like to wish all:

A HAPPY N PROSPEROUS CHINESE NEW YEAR!

May the new year ahead brings us new hope and challenges.

I hope to be able to look back at the past year with more fond memories. This emcee experience can be counted as one. A great start to the year. Best wishes!

Yenn Hellbound 2005

No comments: