Friday, February 04, 2005

2 weeks and finally sickness clearing...

Man, been VERY VERY sick for the past two weeks. It started unfortunately on my Bdae. Until now, I am still coughing quite badly with phelgm and the frequent blocked nose. My sore throat went off, until I had to shout at some kids today and now I got the familiar sore throat... It was pure agony to have to work whilst one is sick. Even worse when u have to teach.

Last week, I went back to school on tuesday, still very sick. And what did I kena? Kena relief classes!!!!! U might be thinking what is the big deal with taking relief classes? Okay lets see. First my 4 free periods just shrank to 2 periods. Next my 2 period-a-day teaching just increased three-fold to 7 or 8 periods. On top of that, I have to use my voice with a bloody sore throat. Thank god that I invested in a speaker. Eternally grateful to have it with me. To top that, I only know of my relief class around 7.10am. Which means I have less than 10 mins to plan how I am going to fill up the numerous periods with activities to keep them occupied, learning and quiet. Classroom mgt comes into play. Have to try to control the class otherwise it might potentially degenerate into chaos.

One collegue of mine, some time last year, couldnt control the class that the kids were banging tables AND the head of dept walked past. She told me the HOD put on a dramatic scene with the class. So far my relief havent reached that, even though I was really sick this time round. What's the 'best' thing? Within that week, I kena 3 full-day relief. Then the following week, kena P1 full-day relief and one upper pri one. Upper pri still okay cos they have some sense of themselves. AND u can dump them into the comp lab for 2 periods and they would thank u for it. The problem with lower pri esp the P1 is that they cant do anything but color and draw. They are easily distracted, dun understand instructions, cannot control their volume, bladder, mouths, runs around, dun respect authority. Only listen to fierce tones. Some even have an attitude to match at that tiny age.... I really hated to have to entertain them while I was very sick. It was so damaging, that I felt even worse after the relief classes.

Today is okay in terms of teaching n stuff but still a long day cos of cca. Then kena that emcee thingy on top of some design thingy. So after school, finish that crap design thingy. Barely made a dent on the emcee thingy then it was time for cca. During the entire 2 hrs, I was doing admin stuff like taking attendance, looking for radio to use, looking around for students, generating name list and a very crappy thingy called cca work plan. Oh man, lucky my Words is good, otherwise this crap is going to take damn long. Really crap I tell ya! I barely know what is going on for my current cca. I much prefered something that is sporty, cos last year I got HAF. Then I could decide on the games and exercises that they do and even participate in the games. That was so much more enjoyable instead of being the adminstrator cos there was an instructor. So only involved in the admin aspect. So far i have found it boring n unenjoyable. In fact I am starting to dread the Fridays.

Next week is the week of the CNY. Hence very busy with doing up the emcee lines. Then I dun have time enough today to finish it with my partner. Which means, have to do tonite via msn. Which means, have to meet on Sat to write on cue cards. Which means I am doing work on Sat. Which means I am doing extra. Grrrr.... In fact today after all had ended, I feel kinda xian. Like its friday, I cant go out cos have to have msn tonite to discuss some points. Then tom have to meet and do lines like presentation. I am very grateful I went to Biz school cos a lot of the skills I used so far are what we usually did, gp discussion, words, excel, powerpt, printing, setting up comps, mkting campaign and even Rag n Flag skills cos currently involved in this HUGELY time consuming marketing campaign task that involves everyone. All of which is extra and dun add much value to the kids in terms of teaching. The extra admin aspect that few know of.

No comments: