Saturday, January 28, 2012

Birthday, CNY, Coupons

Birthday Dinner

This year I celebrated my bdae a bit earlier as the actual falls on the 2nd day of the CNY, hence being inconvenient for everybody. But since this only happens once every 4 years, its okay.

I really like the Ohsumi shabu shabu that I had for a local colleague's farewell but it only offers pork all-you-can-eat shabu. That meant if one prefers beef, got to order extra ala-carte and the place is not that well-known for the beef, though the wagyu beef is another matter. But only seasonally there's the wagyu beef shabu but that is so much more expensive per pax. Hence to cater to all preferences, I decided to do some research of restaurants that offers good food, reasonable pricing (mid-range) and found some. I read through lots of online reviews of their food, service and pricing. Did a short selection and decided on 5 of them.

Came upon 2 steak frites restaurants that are apparently very popular and very well-reviewed, mid range pricing . The steak frites is a French concept is that they serve a limited number of the same mains, entrees everyday, but they make sure its good. Dining is in a small cosy restaurant on cloth-covered tables with wine glasses. They have a selection of wine that are chosen to match their food. They offer good steaks with very good fries (double-fried) at reasonable pricing, which I didnt mind exploring after having tried Mortons and Lawry's which were at exorbitant prices. So in my mind, there's cheap steak offered at coffeeshop on one end, and very expensive steak at these restaurants on the other. I wanted to see what are the offerings in the middle range.


L'Entrecote doesnt accept reservations at all, so its walk-in, so that's for another time. The other is Les Bouchons (Ann Siang). Les Bouchons, which has 5 condiments you add to your own steak. L'Entrecote which serves just one main, their steak in their special sauce plus fries. I would like to give it a try one of these days. Hence I called up Les Bouchons to make a reservation and they do open on the Sat just before CNY. They open at 7pm for dinner on Sat.

A busy morning and early afternooon of last minute spring cleaning, and helping Dad carry all the heavy CNY goods. Then it rained, so I had to take a cab and actually arrived half an hour earlier. It wasnt open yet so explore around Ann Siang Hill area and also found a toilet in a nearby small mall. Then when it's almost 7pm, I walked back to wait just beside the restaurant. There are many small restaurants in the vicinity, really an unexplored area for me. Then FH, Candle and Tab arrived together and just nice, they opened and we went in. Quetzal arrived a bit later. The restaurant is really small, 4 sets of tables for about 4-6 pax, plus 2 sets outside the restaurant, so reservation is a Must.

We ordered the 2 entrees - the escargot and terraine (which is like 2 slices of meat loaf made with pork and chicken liver) The escargot butter sauce went very well with the bread and the terraine was nice with the bread and butter. We had like 2 baskets of bread. Then when we were done, they set about cooking the steak orders and I didnt mind waiting a bit so the entrees can be digested before the mains arrive. Its the usual dining where you finish the entrees, then the main course comes. Not like everything comes together. I had a glass of house red wine. They offered 2 types of red wine, so we ordered both, I preferred one, Candle preferred the other. So we swopped around. I found the Sirloin steak pretty nice but the Rib-eye was more tender. FH's extra tender fillet was well-received. FH said that he found his beef fillet to be nicer than Mortons. Candle had the Rib-eye, she like the extra tender fillet more. Quetzal had Rib-eye too but was a bit full to finish. Tab totally enjoyed her Rib-eye steak with the delicious fries.

For a generally non-beef eater, I hardly eat much steak, so my Sirloin (medium-well) I found it tasty, not tough though the Rib-eye was much more tender, and also the fat part does melt in the mouth. The serving size is generous and the fries were savory enough without me going for the usual ketchup. I enjoyed the meal alot, definitely filling and nice and the red wine tasted better with the steak. Its really cosy, not noisy so can have conversation. Good service too, the 2 servers were attentive to your food, often observing when you are done with the entrees, refilling water etc. We didnt stay for dessert though and went elsewhere to have dessert. Next time if there's an opportunity, I would like to come back for other mains plus dessert. For a mains set, it should set you back a max of $40 unless you ordered entree and wine and dessert. Also want to try out the other steak frites restaurant.

CNY

Another year of staying in Singapore. Its really like if the malaysian home was more inhabitable and not such a pig-style of dirt and filth that I would have to clean if I wanted to stay, then I might still go back. Unfortunately its not, hence I am not going back unless its of utmost urgency. We had our usual Reunion dinner, which my mom slaved to make. Dad was kinda grumpy cos nobody wanted to go back. On the first day, he drove back. We had a quiet first day, lots of cable tv to watch. All channels were available during the public holidays so we were glued to the screen.

Then on the second day, my actual birthday, my sis asked me if there's anything I wanted to eat, their treat. Actually there wasnt, cos after Sat, Sun and Monday of indulgences and over-shooting the calorie limit, I wanted more plain food. But since didnt want to spoil their anticipation of going out for good food, I chose Clementi Mall, Jap food Ootoya, which they havent tried before. My back-up was the Soup Restaurant in Clementi Mall. Since Ootoya was open, we headed in. Its their first time there. I ate the stir-fry veg with chicken set. Ate 2 bowls of rice. Luckily didnt order that Kaasan set which I can eat up to 3 bowls of rice. Phew. My mom and sisters enjoyed the food too. But after that sumptuous lunch, I was in danger of busting my daily calories again. So I dabaoed a subway oven roasted chicken breast wrap for my dinner. Managed to hit 99% of calorie limit. We headed home and ate simple left-overs from CNY reunion. I munched my wrap.

Then when Wed came and it was time for work, I dabao a subway wrap daily for dinner. I do eat with the dishes my mom cooks just that I dont eat rice. I am starting to miss the Baguette again. Tempted to go eat it over the weekend.

Coupons

I had the Groupon and Deals app on my I-phone for some time already but just didnt see much deals that interest me. Then my ex-colleague was recommending this Tasting Room which she says serves good portions, great truffle fries and how the Deal she got was a good one. So when a similar deal appeared on the Groupon, I bought 1 for myself. Intend to just go and give it a try. That was my first coupon. At the same time, there was a Long John Silver deal which is for 4 pax but really for lots of food for it. I bought it with the intention to treat my family. Later on, I printed them out and put in a file in my workbag.

When I met up with Tab in Vivo, we redeemed the Long John Silver one and shared with Turtle and wifey. So it was a very good deal. Just $5 for alot of food. I was kinda hooked. So I looked through both and when I see a good deal for food especially, I'll buy it. My first Deals coupon was for the CNY nian gao from Marina Mandarin and then the Tempura set meal. The Nian gao is really refined with lots of chest nuts. At first we werent used to the taste but after a couple of tries, I got used to the taste and have been munching it. My mom agreed that it was too atas  for our taste but on subsequent tries, we found the taste good.

In case, you are worried that I am going out-of-control buying coupons, dont worry. I only buy those within the areas that my friends and I hang at, those that are really worth buying, and with a long expiry period. My next holiday is in mid-March so for those that can last into April, I can definitely go eat during the hols. Most I buy in pairs, the only pax I bought which is solo is my first groupon - 4 course meal at the Tasting Room. I intend to just call to make a reservation for one and just go and enjoy the food.

Had redeemed the Tempura don set with Quetzal yesterday for dinner. It was the most luxurious tempura don I had so far in my life. Cos the usual tempura don is 2 shrimps plus 3 tempura veg but this one had 2 tempura eel (first time having, really nice), 1 tempura kisu fish (taste fresh), 2 tempura shrimp and the usual three tempura vegetables. That's for $10 nett. I saw that the normal retail is $17.90++. We ordered an entree of Adegashi tofu and green tea. So it comes to $13 per pax. For me, its a good chance to try different food that I might not end up eating otherwise, at different restaurants beside the usual.

So far on hand, I still have 4 food coupons with validity up to April that I intend to use over time. I will find time to do the 4 course meal at Tasting Room in Feb by myself or with my ex-colleague who doesnt mind eating the truffle fries ala-carte. So far, it's been a positive experience with the coupons. I will avoid the pitfalls of over-buying excessively. Plus not all food I like also. So I do consider my own taste eg not into Korean food or beef so didnt get those. I do only look out for those that fits my criteria.

No comments: