Monday, December 05, 2016

Distant Worlds Concert: 7 years since the first one

I was surfing the internet aimlessly before and remembered that Distant World has a website that notifies and shows the dates and performance venues for upcoming concerts. When I first checked then, there wasn't any Sg concerts yet. What I saw instead of was the Kingdom Heart concert in Sg. Excited cos it has been 7 years since the last video-game one. Yes that long a time. There was a piano final fantasy one but it was only for one-night and sold out long ago. That was what prompted me to look at that website for information way in advance. So despite being an unemployment statistic, I decided to spend on the concert. So with Quet cos Tab couldn't make it on a Sunday as she had to wake early. Better seats left on Sunday though we booked rather early. The composer of Kingdom Heart is the top female game music composer Yoko Shimomura. She also is the composer of FFXV. I love her Legend of Mana main theme. Very different yet distinct style compared to Uematsu Nobuo.

So shortly after, saw the news on the same webpage that FF Distant World is returning to sg and another #takemymoneygladly moment, bought the tickets with the help of Quet, who logged in early in the morning to secure seats. For me, it is worth it, cos I hardly am interested in any concerts except for these series so attending concerts are few and far inbetween. Worthwhile to do something with my time and money, also revisit a part of my youth and the music that saved me. The music gave me the courage and healed me and I have moved on forward. Hope it grants me more courage and strength through my current stage.
_______________________

Dec 3rd, 2016 (Sat)

The concert venue was at Star Vista Performing Theatre but both of us felt the acoustics of the sound system is not as pro as the Esplanade. Wished that they held the concert in Esplanade like the first one. We met up earlier and had a nice meal of pork ramen. Except for the glitch when heading up to the seats where they stopped the concert-goers at the 5th floor for 10mins, and that caused delay and the rude female usher to Quet, about deleting the photo she took of the empty stage backdrop with tickets, the rest was good.

The rude encounter almost spoilt the mood but Roth, the conductor came on and after the first introd tune of FF, he would speak into the mike and address the audience to let us know the next 1-2 songs, adding in reasons for the song choice, information, adding in his personality and thoughts into the address. He had a real nice voice and personality that comes through as he spoke. We soon forgot anything else unpleasant. Earlier during the first or second, I had to shush a young lady who was discussing with her friend about the games to update her friend, who didn't know all the FF series cos the songs spanned the entire series. Luckily she got it and kept quiet. Much better enjoyment. I didn't pay $139 to listen to lowered voices discussing in the background. 

I really love the FFIX music yet with Spotify, I haven't looked for it much cos I was listening to the vocal songs of FF and FF9 with the Melodies of Life felt a bit weaker to the dramatic songs of Susan Calloway with songs such as Distant World, Answers and Dragonsong and Rikki for the japanese love song Suteki Da Ne that in my opinion outshone Eyes On Me. But I was super touched when they play 2 tunes of FF9 that were my all-time favorite - Roses of May and Not Alone. I immediately recognise the tunes though I wasn't as familiar with the names. It made me take out my entire CD collection of FF with the aim to relisten to them.

Rikki, the original vocalist for Suteki Da Ne, made a special appearance in Sg. Such a treat, cos the last concert it was Mr Uematsu Nobuo and this time it is her. Still amazed by her vocals though the mike echo and setting cannot make it. What a shame. 

We were also treated to the remake of the FFVII opening bombing theme and it was so impactful. I think I need to set up another cup to save for PS Vista and the game before then. We also had a mass photo of all the audience wearing the masks of the FFXV main characters. Then another treat was the premiere performance of FFXV Apocalyptic Noctis (by Yoko Shimomura) very very dramatic and strong.

Encore was One Wing Angel - and all the audience have to sing the Sep-hi-roth part. Had to do practice and then they perform. Very memorable concert. 

So we diligently queued to buy the merchandise. I was more interested in the soundtracks - not so much the Distant world CDs but more of the series soundtrack. So I bought FFX (which I realised later I have but was a Taiwan version vs the now Jap version I bought) and FFXIV which is one I don't have but is a blue-ray discs... so can try to listen with Quet's player. I think until I have a PS Vista (which is a blue-ray reader), I have to do that. Dunno if can rip into mp3 but would lose the definition. Oh well, bo bian. So another $110 poorer. I reckon they can keep me going for more years. This concert is worth going to. Hope it will go back to Esplanade if it ever comes again.

I will recheck my entire discs collection to avoid another repeat for the Kingdom Heart concert. Still a distant in May next year. Hope by then I am more settled. 

Source: http://www.ffdistantworlds.com/program

FINAL FANTASY SERIES: Main Theme, Swing de Chocobo, Chocobo Medley 2010, Prelude, Victory Theme, Battle & Victory Theme Medley, Chocobo Medley 2012, Battle Medley I-XIV

FINAL FANTASY I-III: Medley 2002, Medley 2010

FINAL FANTASY III: DS Opening

FINAL FANTASY IV: Theme of Love, Battle with The Four Fiends

FINAL FANTASY V: Dear Friends, Clash on the Big Bridge, Main Theme

FINAL FANTASY VI: Dancing Mad, Opera "Maria and Draco", Terra's Theme, Phantom Forest, Character Theme Medley, Balance Is Restored, Dark World featuring soloists Nobuo Uematsu, keyboards, and Arnie Roth, violin

FINAL FANTASY VII: One-Winged Angel, Opening - Bombing Mission, Aerith's Theme, Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII, JENOVA, Those Who Fight (Let the Battles Begin), JENOVA COMPLETE

FINAL FANTASY VIII: Liberi Fatali, Fisherman's Horizon, Love Grows, Don't be Afraid, The Man With The Machine Gun, Eyes on Me, Balamb GARDEN ~ Ami

FINAL FANTASY IX: Vamo' alla Flamenco, Prima Vista, A Place to Call Home - Melodies of Life, Not Alone, Unrequited Love, Festival of the Hunt, Roses of May

FINAL FANTASY X: Zanarkand, Suteki da ne, Hymn of the Fayth, Hymn of the Fayth - The Sending Suite

FINAL FANTASY XI: Memoro de la Stono - Distant Worlds, Ronfaure, Vana' diel March Medley, Fighter of the Crystal

FINAL FANTASY XII: Kiss Me Goodbye, The Dalmasca Estersand

FINAL FANTASY XIII: The Promise, Fang's Theme, Saber’s Edge, March of the Dreadnoughts, Fabula Nova Crystallis, Blinded by Light

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII: Light Eternal

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Twilight Over Thanalan, Beneath Bloodied Banners, Primal Judgment, Answers, Navigator's Glory - The Theme of Limsa Lominsa, Torn From The Heavens

No comments: