Monday, December 08, 2003

Hi, I'm back in Spore, after 3 days back in Msia- which was not a holiday, but a torture of unspeakable agony, and mental retardness that I was bored to my tears.... (sign, dun talk abt it now)

So lemme continue my incident report about my temp days: Titled the Middle-finger Incident (funny)

This happened at Office 1, on my first mth of work. I had mentioned that I gotten along very well with the rest of the collegues despite the age gaps which range from 7-15+ years. There is this one particular male collegue, lemme name him Happy, cos he is a very cheerful fella. Always smiling, cracking jokes, making work fun or at least bearable. So though I dun join in, I do smile at his jokes. Then he said to me: "You have a very nice smile." (frankly I dunno if this is true, but maybe cos I dun smile so often- friends can attest to this- therefore my smile is as rare as it gets. Moreever sometimes there must be a reason to be happy to smile, otherwise it is just a fake one like those given by those customer service pple. At least this is my personal belief with regards to smiling n being happy.)

Then he continuously tried to make me smile... he would come up to me and say "Give me a smile", he would smile or grin at me whenever he said that. So despite myself, I would smile. And he would like snap his fingers in triumph. Like he has accomplished something. So this continued for some time. But there was this one day, he kept doing it. I was okay if he did it like occasionally, but whenever he walked in or out of the room n made eye-contact, he would do this routine. So towards the end of the day, Happy tried again. This time, most of the collegues were at the room, and he tried to make me smile again. "So Yenn, gimme a smile", but before I could think, I had already pointed my middle-finger at him- with a straight face, then I smiled. Lemme explain myself, so far in my life, I only pointed the MF at my bro, none at any friends. So there r certain elements about Happy that reminds me unconsciously abt my Bro. Then during the day, he kept on repeating the smile rountine, n whenever I smiled inspite of myself, I decided not to adhere to this rountine. Moreover smiling is something that I rarely did, unless I am happy or what, then of course I was a bit irritated at being continuously baited to smile. Anyway those collegues at the table, were all amused at my response. They did not expect me to do that cos I was well-behaved, shy as well as educated, well same here- lemme me stress it came automatically. And according to them, Happy was blushing. Well that was a Friday so after that, he only did that rountine occassionally. So there ends one interesting chapter of my short working life thus far. But that did not dampen his funny personality. Anyway I do hope to meet more of such funny people, who inject humor n liveliness into the rountine work life.

Incidentally when I was at Office 2, one collegue, also remarked that I have a nice smile. Her words mirror Happy's. Sign so what I thought. Of course it is nice if it is rare n genuine smile. That's my conclusion.

No comments: