Thursday, April 05, 2012

Weet-Bix & Own wraps

Given how this holiday, I have been eating a lot of Weet-Bix and also switched mid-point from Subway wraps to making my own wraps, they deserve a blog entry.

Weet-bix: bought a box of it maybe a month back after gym. It was during term time. I had switched from bread to fruits for breakfast, but still after a while, due to my stomach and body constitution, I ended up with a lot of phlegm cos fruits are raw and 'cold' nature, hence aggravate the phlegm. I would end up with phlegmy cough.

So for a few weeks just before the term ended, I tried two bars of Weet-bix with a packet low fat milk. The milk I purposely kept outside so it's not cold. Reach workplace, put in bowl, pour milk over and can finish in mere minutes. The reason being it disintegrates easily and quickly once milk is poured over. Ate that for quite number of breakfast daily. It's tasty enough without having to add sugar. Solves alot of my breakfast problems. Plus it's actually healthy and low calories with high nutrients.

Then when the hole started, the over-eating in Melaka meant that once I came back, rather wanted to eat something plainer for a few days, before heading off for Genting. So Weet-Bix became my daily breakfast on most days when I come back to Sg. Then I was getting sick of subway wraps plus they are relatively pricy: almost $6 for a wrap instead of a meal of local food at just $3, toyed with the idea of making my own wraps. I had for a period of time made my own veg salad to bring to work, so it was the same thing except I bought a pack of wraps that could keep a bit longer 1mth as opposed to just 5 days. Bought lettuce, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots and a large onion. Washed, cut up lettuce and dried it with the salad spinning bowl, cut onions n put in container. Then all went into the chiller. When going to rat, warm up a pan, put a wrap to heat up both sides, take lettuce, tomato, onion slices and baby carrots over. Bought a honey mustard sauce, added that. Then kop some meat my mom cooked or dabao sometimes. Tada my own wrap with changing meat taste coz the meat is not the same. Ate as a replacement to a few dinners, can't do it daily. The chilled veg also can cause phlegm due to my sensitive constitution. There is 8 wrap skins in the bag, up until today, haven't finished. Granted I only strted this wrap one day after coming bavk from Genting.

With the combination of this 2 meals, can lower calories consumed and don't feel hungry. Lunch is normal. I try to stick to the breakfast more, it helps at times unless I over-indulge for lunch and dinner. So slowly and gradually, I find I am accumulating more calorie deficit which can cover all the calorie excesses from Melaka and Genting trip. I don't aim to be anaroxic so I keep to the 1200 calories as the lowest. Plus it's actually very hard to go as low as 1200. In general, I am eating at close to 1400-1700 at times. So little deficits that I hope to persist and accumulate more gradually. It's actually very easy to Over-eat like 50% or more and so difficult to have just a 20% deficit (350 cals) daily. So over-indulgences over 3 days takes a dozen days of deficits to balance off only, not even taking abou losing weight. All these is just at the stage of maintaining status-quo, weight don't go up any. Havent reached the weight loss part yet. Tough.

But I hope to use this to set up a meal routine and healthier choices and habits. What we eat is a big part of being healthy. I need to restart my gym sometime before the hol ended. Reset the work routine and incorporate all these habits in. Indulgences I do, so some days overshoot but I try not to overshoot so drastically like 50% which translates to so many days of Weet-Bix and simple food for lunch and dinner. As long as my mouth can co-operate, and it doesn't rebel n go crazy with indulgences, should be fine. I am eating some snacks in small portions to keep cravings at bay but don't want to make snacking a habit.

Dared not step on the weighing-scale yet. Give me a few more days of deficit then I'll do that.

No comments: