Thursday, April 26, 2012

My first premium sushi platter - first Uni

Courtesy of groupon, I bought this premium sushi platter for $19. Although there are raw sushi, which friends know I generally don't eat, but actually if they are fresh, I can and do eat raw sushi. Just that my sense of taste is quite sharp, so I can taste and smell the fishiness and the not-fresh odor. Most of the time, I chose not to risk it.

The premium sushi platter consists of 6 sushi; chutoro (tuna belly), Uni (sea urchin - my first uni), Ikura (salmon roe), Unagi (grilled), Aburi Toro Salmon (seared salmon belly) and Aburi Foie Gras (seared foie gras) When the offer came out, I was keen to get one for myself to finally try my first Uni officially. I wasnt sure if any friends wanted to eat with me, as it cost $19 for just that. Since the restaurant is Sun Dining, a reputable restaurant, I expected a higher level of freshness, hence I didnt mind trying out their raw sushi.

The other groupons I usually buy had like $60 value, so friends can order what they like and we just top up the difference. So this one, though I had never eaten at Sun dining, I dont mind going just by myself. But when work started, I had little time and energy and meals to go eat it. It expires by the end of this month, April. I had been writing reminders to make a reservation, which I did on Wed for today.

Been having quite a tiring time at work. New colleagues, more responsibilities, more events I had to go and show face, more menial stuff also have to do eg pasting photos along the corridor. I had gotten a room for my lessons, so I spent 4 periods yesterday and today to carrying chairs and tables, arranging, wiping the surface to clean up, throwing away accumulated junk inside yesterday. Today I went in to check the radio, TV and DVD player are working. Then put in the notice boards I had salvaged and put up the newspaper cuttings. Also wrote up the class rules. Tomorrow onwards it will be used by me for lessons. I hope to gradually transform it to a very English room. Then besides that, I marked the test papers from 3 classes over 2 days also. I marked quickly and tallied the sub-marks. 2 questions I didnt have to do. But doing these in-between my free periods and also after dismissal, meant I am very tired mentally. I try to help to reduce the workload of my counterparts but I am a bit peeved by the way things are done. KIV for now, hope that its just the starting glitches...

Well today saw another cultural event which I've never seen before Oni-KenBai. Also my main form colleague's birthday, gave him 2 bars of Snickers as a present - only know today in class. So something happy. Then needed something else.After such a tough 4 days with Fri and Sat, meant I needed a break.

Reached the restaurant very stoned. It has a nice ambience and is quite popular with executives. It was 80% full. Good and prompt service. I looked through the menu. Then got hot green tea. Redeemed the sushi platter, and added an order of a miso soup and an alcoholic drink. Decided on their Yamasaki Highball - recommended. Its a whiskey served in a highball glass with a non-alcoholic mixer like soda water. I felt I deserved to have an alcoholic drink to chill out. Ate slowly to savor the taste. The mainly raw sushi tasted good. No fishy smell from not being fresh. Yep if most of the raw sushi is of this standard, I dont mind eating raw sushi sometimes. The seared salmon belly was very nice. The seared foie gras was very tasty and flavorful. The miso soup was thick and tasty, though it was just mushroom and beancurd. Ended with the Highball. By the time I was halfway through the tall glass, I can feel the alcohol. Really generous with the alcohol. Generally I dont like whisky but this one is light on the palate. Can feel my stress melt away by the 3/4 mark and there's enough alcohol for me to switch off the active mind. It is quite strong given I didnt drink on an empty stomach. Finished lesiurely eating an hour dinner. Happily computing the calories for today, finally there's a deficit despite having premium sushi and a drink. Mainly cos didnt order anything excessive.  I was quite full and took a bus home. Quite a relaxing end to a rather hectic week. 2 more days to go.

No comments: