Thursday, August 30, 2012

Exploring aimlessly

This hols, I went out twice to explore aimlessly. I do such explorations mainly cos many a times on the bus ride, noticed certain areas are full of small shops and rows of shophouses. So during my breaks, once in a while, I go to that area and just start walking around. I follow where the shops go to, walk around an observe if anything is interesting and will kiv say for future dinner etc.

Recently before the hols began, I walked around the Chinatown area, the back part with rows of shop-houses, reached the foot of that 40-stories HDB (forgot the name) Found a soya milk seller in the HDB opp it. I was walking with the map app and it led me on a long wild-goose chase cos it doesn't factor in small roads... I ended up near the Pigeon hole cafe area (name slipped my mind...)

A week back I went to Orchard and started walking from Tanglin Mall area down to Ion. Walked around the older malls and see. Quite a bit of changes in terms of retail-mix. I was powered by a 700ml cup of FreshMilk-with-grassjelly and walked continuously for 3+ hrs before I finally refueled and bought sushi home for dinner.

Today I went to Raffles Place mrt and got off and started walking around. There are so many new office blocks that the sky-line has changed so much. I was trying to walk to the Golden Shoe to retrace the steps of my temp days working there but I can't remb... It's been 8years and man, really really many new office blocks. So walk aimlessly, anything that seemed interesting, walk over to see. What was strange to me was the no of office people still walking around at 3.10pm in the afternoon. Wow I didn't know lunch hour lasts so long or so many can take tea-break or so many flexible work?

So I twist n turn just following any shops. End up in Lau Pa Sat, walked in to take a look but I didn't eat cos my stomach is not too well plus I had lunch near 1pm. Some exotic food inside then I walked towards OG which would have led me to chinatown but halfway there, I saw shop-houses and diverted into the road. Ended up in Amoy street area. It wasn't that hot cos of the rain earlier but it started raining, so I refueled at the Amoy hawker. The rain made me yearn for warm stuff, walking one round, decided on Chinese mutton soup n half bowl rice. That stall seemed popular and it was good. The meat is tender n almost all the fat removed. The soup is thin but still flavorful n light, little oil floating on the surface. Again Mutton soup is like Laksa to me. It's one of those food that I almost hardly ever eat (0-2 times in an entire year) Reason being it's not healthy due to the oil plus on sunny days, it's too heaty to eat. But it's perfect on a rainy day.

Continued on with an umbrella once I've finished eating. Headed towards Tanjong Pagar by then, then due to me walking aimlessly and just following any shops that catches my fancy, I ended up at Coller Quay. Decided to walk towards Marina Square. So I walked past the new pubs, restaurants and cafe. There's a new dome structure in-between Coller Quay and One-Fullerton. It's a restaurant with bar with a view of the bay. Didn't go in cos it seemed really atas, even the name I can't read properly cos it was kinda cursive. Didn't want to walk too close. But the top of the dome is free n an open space with the view. I went up to take a look and walked towards MS.

Along the way, I walked under the bridge that led towards the Esplanade. Below is a starbucks, sol tapas and beside that a Sg souvenir shop. I went in to take a look. Everything is Merlion or orchids... Headed out and walked on. F1 stuff is being set up. Lots of fences. Reached MS and I was wondering if there was any food I wanted to eat for dinner. Walked around, in the end decided to cross to take a bus ride home. Took out my packed fuel - a snickers bar and my sencha, I ate it. Don't feel hungry for dinner. Guess I reversed my meals - snickers was supposedly snack near tea-time but instead that became mutton soup with rice. So dinner is snickers. Reached home and munched a pear when my stomach felt a bit like eating.

Not that I am turning anorexic but just my stomach is not so well so appetite isn't as good. I'm supposed to eat easier to digest stuff and as much as I could eat without overtaxing it.

No comments: