Thursday, August 02, 2012

Finally the hols are here...

After a 16-weeks term, without mc, its finally the holidays.

Think my body is stressed up, hence partly contributing to the increased hair drop... I am taking TCM powdered medicine for that and for my long-term cough. Need to do more relaxing things these few days. Nothing stressful.

Yesterday I went to do the monthly banking errand and bought my first cup of KOI bubble milk tea. Seriously I dont get the fuss about it. It has a different after-taste compared to others, but for me that after-taste wasnt great, a bit unpleasant in fact. Maybe its cos I chose 50% sugar with no pearls, also M size. On a whim, I hopped on bus 96 with the intention of exploring the University Town.

I got down near Yussof Ishak house and walked over to the Sports Hall. Then wandered around inside and landed near the tennis courts. Then I realized its not the way to the University Town, which has a bridge linking it. Retraced my steps and walked closer to the Music conservatory, and found this newly built bridge that offers both pedestrian and roads for vehicles to drive over.

I walked over and wow, there's a number of restaurants, including Koufu, Old HK Bruce Lee, Fish and Co Express, an Italian and another Chinese restaurants. Then u see some high-tech graduate housing and a field with freshies. Some parts still under construction.

Played with the vending machine to get a bottle of water and walked back. Then from Yusoff Ishak House, I walked over to the Forum, saw the Art's fac Rag. Nobody around, maybe lunch break. Then walked over to the old Law but now is School of Computing fac linkway to Biz. Really a lot of changes. Not to mention the canteens etc but certain parts became air-conditioned closed linkway. Reached biz and to my surprise, most of the same bizad stalls are still there. In fact they seemed to be the only thing unchanged. Half of bizad is split and belong to School of Computing. The LT17, 18 are no longer bizad.

I decided to refuel and ordered from the Western food, the same guy is still there. The difference is the wrinkled face and he seemed to have shrunk at least facially. Then the other is they charge 2 prices, a NUS price and an outsider price. So my Cutlet cost $3 to NUS and $3.40 for non-NUS. Which is still alright to me. But I didnt buy a drink. Ate the rather dry yet very very crispy chicken cutlet and sorta remembered a bit why we ate the cutlet at the old Arts canteen instead. But the pasta with brown sauce was very very nice. My memories were vaguely triggered when I ate the western food. I seem to remember some times when I ordered that in my Uni days.

After I was done, I walked down to that Ho Swee Sian library way and bought a Coke Zero from a vending machine. At least it charges the same price irregardless of my status. Just 90 cents.

While I was finishing off the drink, I glanced at the Bizad rag going on at that foyer below the library. The foyer was still as dark and gloomy and the stuff were very unfinished. Nothing concrete, as far as I know, its just lots of cardboard.  I saw something that reminds me of maybe merlion or statue in its rawest state. Some freshies hanging around. I tio a few stares by some freshies who might be thinking in their naive mind that I was a spy sent by other jealous faculties. See the difference between the facs? The Art just laid it out in the open forum with virtually nobody around, whereas the biz ones fenced up their work area and gave me dirty looks?

Finished my coke and dumped the can in the recycle bin just beside the foyer and walked down the slope to my usual bus stop and took a bus home. Does bring back some memories. But as all things are, the facilities have improved alot and the choices of certain activities too. But its not like I can go back to being a student. That part of life is kinda over. My choices were made then. But its good to walk around and a bit and reminisce about the past. Next year would be a decade since graduation. Time does fly.

Reached home just in time before the rain poured. Spent some time watching TV, later go to visit sinseh for weekly follow-up and get another week's supply of tcm aka brown milo. Another thought hit me was that how true it is that "Health is wealth". Work hard to earn money at the expense of health. Later use the money to pay for medicine to restore health. I am starting to eat my Weet Bits for breakfast, as a healthy breakfast. Will put in more effort to make sure I am eating healthier food and a combination of nutritious food, plus sleep more, relax more and see if my hair drop problem can clear up soon.

No comments: