Saturday, January 22, 2005

24th Birthday

In a few more days, specifically on Mon 24th Jan, I would be 24 yrs old. Getting older again. This is a special bdae to me cos the 2 numbers coincide and the fact is that I am more or less more settled compared to the past 1.5 years.

I want to be able to start establishing myself and start living the life according to my wishes. So does it mean that I didnt live my life according to my wishes before? No, I guess u cannot always choose the path that u really wanted. Sometimes u decide to take other choices cos the one u are looking at is not accessible. So instead of going all out to pursue your dreams, u take a slighter longer route to go to about it.

With regards to purchasing of material items, I always subscribe to the way of 'deferring immediate enjoyment' in order to enjoy more in the future. For dreams, i guess i am not too sure of what is TRUELY my dream: for one, maybe shaking leg while money rolls in is considered one. The plan for now is that I am prepared to work very hard for the next 10 years. I want to give it my all to build up my financial resources. Unless i have a rich distant relative who died and leave me a huge inheritance, I would have to start saving up.

The job mkt in Spore is getting more brutal, those in the mid thirties, approaching early forties are finding it extremely hard to get re-employed once they lose their jobs. This is the sombre truth. Even if u can show that u are willing to learn, work hard, have experience, u are often discriminated against. Hence as a young worker just starting out, it is imperative to start amassing your own resources and not overspend or lead a life of budget deficit. Many have pointed out that I now am in an industry with 'iron rice-bowl', i beg to differ. The employment landscape is such that all iron rice bowl myths are being broken. Furthermore what use is the iron rice bowl, if u dun manage to set some money aside for your retirement? It doesnt matter what job u are in, dilligently saving up, smart investing are the way to go. No matter how small the amt u put aside monthly, after say 2 years, u have a sum. Once u built up enough 'fat', u can start investing. The first and most difficult step is to amass the resources by saving.

No comments: