Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Flood

Ever since last tuesday, there has been news about flooding in parts of Msia.

Ironically IF I had continued with my stuggle with BM, I would still be in Segamat then and would have encountered the flood. The house my brother stayed at was not affected at all, but the 1-storey house that my mom's friend stayed at was fully-submerged. That part of the town was half-submerged, meaning those shops on the ground floor were partially submerged from last tuesday to about thursday. Kinda sad to hear about that but thankful that me n my mom had come out earlier. Cos even the railway station was underwater, hence if we had hung around, we would be stranded there until the flood subsided.

My mom's friend n her father are now staying in the house she rented to my brother. The flood waters have subsided and there is the unsavourly task of salvaging the water-logged home. My bro complained to me via maple that he had to scrub n clean alot of stuff and carry lots of heavy stuff.

Incidentally my brother claims Maple saved his life....? Well he said that day the flood strucked, he had wanted to drive into town to jalan jalan, but in the end, he deferred due to Maple. Oh well dunno about that.

Then my dad's hometown, Muar is also in the news for the flood. Its about 30km from Segamat and there is a common river running through. Luckily the area we stayed at was not flooded, ie the town area was not flooded, only in certain ulu areas. My dad wanted to go back and we tried to talk him out of it but he would not listen, suddenly becoming a know-it-all. Later after much persuasion, he decided to call home to check the situation. It seems water supply was cut and so he finally decided to postpone his trip until water supply resumes.

Funny thing is both towns never made it into the news for any other reasons. Not particularly famous or anything. I always encounter uncomprehending looks whenever I mention their names. Most pple really dun know about them. Suddenly both are in the news, making headlines, registering in pples' heads. Ironic.

No comments: