Wednesday, February 06, 2008

More Do-It-Yourself-Cooking

Its now the morning of the morning b4 CNY and I am still up at this Obscene hour! Cos tom I have to wake around 5.30am, get out by 6am, reach by 7am. Siao... Dunno some collegues expect me to wear chiong sam top... Wake up so early still got time to go make oneself presentable meh? Siao... sleep already not enuff, still talk about dressing up or presentably... Even if I have the top, I dun have the bottom. I have not ironed out any pants yet. Even if have both, I dun intend to wear my ladies slippers to work. Wearing my sport shoes. Then what is the point? Bah... But this CNY can be memorable cos me and my sister tried making something.



Today after a damn long and hard and intense day of work, where I slogged marking and lessons, plus stayed back and mark and grab students for more work...

I reached home tired, hungry and sian again. Tom's going to be CNY eve yet the question is What time can I leave? There are at least 4 more stacks to finish marking. Want to clear them yet lugging them home to do so is not an option cos once I reach home, I wont do. So hope to pia thru them tom.

K I left off the story... went with sister to walk around and buy some stuff near our place. We ended up in Sheng Siong buying more snacks and even buying a Nian Gao. The brown one where you have to cut and fry. I had a brillant flash of inspiration to try to fry the Nian Gao. Once we got home, we cut it up, coat with a batter and fry it.

Err things didnt exactly go very smoothly. The Nian Gao we bought was a very soft one, making it hard to cut. So end up with very very uneven thickness. Then dunno need thick or thin slices. Then the batter... at first I mixed some flour with water. I asked my mom if the one I was making was okay. She said "Add more." I assumed was water, cos I was stirring it and proceeded to make a 'milk' out of my batter. Then laughed about it and poured it away to remake the batter. Then had a hell of a time, picking up the sticky pieces to dip in batter and fry. Erm the pieces look very very UnAppetizing. Even the both of us felt so after looking at the end product. My dad had alot of constructive feedback after eating a slice.

Then waited until my other sister came back and told her, got special food for her. Much like the special 'duck tongue' snack her collegues gave her yesterday. Along the same range. She ate the Gao and quite like it. I ate a few more. Hmm taste nicer when its cooled. Hmm different from when its warm. Oh well, still got a plate of it. Guess that will be my breakfast...

Its now 12.37am... I hope to have a good sleep until 5.30am then. Nite and advance CNY to all. No need ang bao, give me good luck to tio Toto.

No comments: