Friday, February 08, 2008

New Year, New Experiences

The CNY is a very muched welcomed break... almost wanted to collapse. Partly from the intensity and the adjusting to the new timing. I find myself going earlier and earlier and staying later and later, just to clear marking and some admin. Sadly couldnt finish my marking on cny eve, stayed until 1.30pm b4 the workplace closed. Still had one and a half stack of stuff to mark. Relucantly packed up the half stack, which is still sitting untouched in my bag. Reached home, dog-tired near 5pm after eating my very very late brunch outside. A meal of Udon with Tempura at Sumo in clementi. That nite had reunion dinner with family. My mom whipped up many typical dishes we usually eat, eg soup, pig trotters, prawns, bamboo shoot veg etc. They were only going back the next day to avoid the massive jam. This year, I am staying back for my 4th year (I think...)

1st day of CNY
Woke up around 10am, then ate the leftover from the new year feast the night before. Watched NTV7, malaysia channel which had more festive shows than what spore channel was offering. Watched this International Lion Dance competition hosted by Msia, and the champion troupe is from my hometown.

Later around 6.30pm, my sis and I decided to go out. This time, not to Chinatown or Clarke Quay cos went there last year and it was a ghost town. We headed to town. Surprisingly whilst the malls were closed, the cafes, small restaurants eg Swenson were open. For one, I know the cinema malls like Shaw and Cinelesiure are open for the bored people to watch those new movies opening. We went to Hereen first, HMV was open and had a CNY sale of sort. My youngest sister bought a Nana anime vcd. Then we headed to Cinelesiure where more shops were open esp the food outlets. We headed to the MiniToons where I saw this cup!

A Grumpy Cup!


The words reads (from the left clockwise)... Miner Back Pain, Hot Temper, Sleeping Bags and Cold Coffee


Plus its a huge cup! Bigger than my dear dear Green cup that had to be thrown away cos its chipped. For $9.50, I got myself a Grumpy cup. Think its a cup made for me, given I am kinda grouchy in the morning. Haha.

Later we ate at Pastamania and people watched. Somehow quite a few butches and gays? Then later we walked along Taka and took MRT home. Quite an interesting experience. Orchard is not as crowded, yet at certain places, its a bit crowded.




2nd Day of CNY
Woke up to another meal of trying to clear the leftover from the CNY eve feast. So far, both of us polished off the rice, soup, fish and one vege. Just got prawns, pig trotters, 2 more veg to go through... Whilst my youngest sister did her dabaoed work, watched tv, listened to music, I was playing Aoi, and having a Harry Potter movie marathon. Went through HP2,3 and 4. Didnt buy 5 yet.

Later near 6.30pm, we went out nearby for dinner. Murtabak and woon toon mee. Yikes, no more eating of cheena food, all charge 50cents extra. And it tasted real bad. The murtabak was delicious and the portion is big for $4. I asked my siter, if she wanted to go IMM, cos the shuttle bus is still in operation. So after dinner, we hopped on and headed there. Quite a number of shops were open. We walked around to digest off dinner. Headed to Diaso and stayed for a fair while. I didnt intend to buy anything for myself, was looking out for things to use in class or for work.

....until I saw a whole collection of cups, bowls with this very eye-pleasing sakura design. Its a simple design but yet it caught my eye.





It feels like a reminder that I cant go watch Sakura-watching in March/April period at all... signz at least until I am Educator no more.

A small dream is to sit under the Sakura trees, with a drink in one hand and peer up at the evening skies... enjoying the bliss of being able to just sit down and soak in the sight and letting the cool breeze blow across ones' face... A romantic dream bah... signz

Then I went in for a closer look. There is another design, the one on the right, with two bunnies sitting and looking at the moon. Its real nice and serene too. Decided to get one of each of the tea-cups. If I ever have to buy my own set of bowls and cups, guess it will definitely be a beautiful yet tranquil, Sakura set. Not bad, I get 2 nice cups, though they kinda small compared to Grumpy.

3 cups in 2 days. This year's CNY is definitely one with new experiences. Hope for more of such small and enjoyable moments.

Oh yar, also bought a pudding mix. Tom's culinary challenge is Caramel Pudding, jap style. Yeah!

No comments: