Monday, September 21, 2009

Big Boys' and Girls' toys

Nope this is not an explicit post in any manner except for those with twisted minds.

Many a times, while I am travelling on the public transport, certain thoughts appear to me, that I forgot shortly after, yet remember once again when I see the same things. Decide to put down a few of those.

Toys
You know how its like when we were younger, at least for my generation, where parents were not that well off when I was a kid. So dont really have that much toys as compared to kids nowadays. The era where you share your toys, play the same toys until spoilt, and yet some of those toys you keep and treasure as you got older cos they reminded you of childhood.

Then as one got older, with more savings, even income, comes the toys for Big Boys and Girls. Boys go for cars, real ones. Imagine spending $100-200k on a car which you only sit in to drive around, other times just leaving it in the car park. Powerful handphones that can do numerous tasks, branded watches, clothes. Girls go for the bags, costing from $200-$20k depending on brand, makeup, clothes, shoes and others. What struck me is that alot of these costs quite a bit. Toys for the Big Boys and Girls, I guess, that as one grows older, have less time to spend, hence they spend it in larger amounts on the few items.

Hmm what ever happened to the simpler things that gave great pleasure during youth? Things like comics, music cds, books just to name some. Some times I find myself kinda caught up in the race that I forgot these are the simple things that I enjoy a lot through the years. Then I stopped the race and looked around me. Others are rushing forward in a sea of frenzy, going somewhere I guess, which I cannot fanthom. They carry with them these NEW and more expensive toys. I am still somewhat a person with little wants. What I want, materially, I can somewhat afford but what holds me back from buying is the consideration of Need and Storage and Usage. Hence at times I dont hold back, but its kinda hard sometimes to find something I want. Its not the material want that I am searching for, but something else, though not sure what it is.

Hmm I dont really know WHAT I want.

I do know that at times, when I really neglect the OLD toys, somehow some time later, when I finally pick it up again to play with it. It gives me satisfacation. At times I find the greatest of satisfaction in the simplest of things, a cool breeze against the face, a cup of hot tea to sip, a nice tune over the mp3, a game in the PSP, the plot in a manga, even after tidying up my stuff a bit, looking at the sunny, cloudy skies.

Hope I can recover back more of the simpler pleasures and enjoy them instead of filling the void with new, expensive toys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only remember Robotech and Ghostbuster toys.

And my lost small pillow T.T" may its fluffy soul rest in peace.

1390

Anonymous said...

Just like Yingel with her small pillow (still exisiting), Geoky with her Miffy and me with my small bolster. Something like that.

HB