Monday, September 07, 2009

Rant 3 - Dad

Another rant post, ignore if it bothers you.

The thing is that living with my Dad is not an easy task.

Why?

The reasons are too numerous to count but lemme classify them. Though I understand that I am not perfect myself but there are times like NOW when just by saying one sentence, it irks me and sets my irritation and anger meter soaring. Hence instead of opening my mouth and getting into verbal tiffs, I choose to vent my frustration through writing it out.

1) I-am-godly-than-thou attitude
Why? Cos he has a PhD aka doctorate. Hence its a big deal to him. He has this air and attitude that he is smarter than you. When you talk to him, he would be the one dominating by just going on and on and on.

And because of this, he does not want or like to ask for help. He cannot ask for it nicely one. Must gruffly ask and even that the tone or way he asked, just irks me...

2) Lazy-as-a-pig MCP
Lying there in his chair and just watching tv and eating. He just kinda spits out things that are stuck to his teeth, irregardless whether there is a bin or not. Hence there is like bits of whatever he spit on the floor. That area he sits in is SO very dirty in that sense, that it disgusts me to walk over that area daily to switch on the internet connection. He doesnt really lift a finger to help in household chores only when my mom ran off to Msia then he machine washes his own clothes... (If men are all like THIS, then I rather be single)

3) Stick-in-the-Mud to the extreme
Everything sticks to the only way he knows, be it roads, food, even controllers. He has just successfully greatly irritated me by making a statement. The StarHub people just changed the cable box from the normal to the recordable type cos I signed a contract of 1 year, cheaper rates, can record, so I took it. Then shortly he tried to use the new controller which has a bit more buttons but the basic and familiar buttons are just positioned differently. He doesnt even know how to switch on the box, even though there is only a PINK button on it with a power-on sign. Asked me how to switch on while I am seated infront of laptop. Just answered him Pink button. Then he doesnt even know how to press a number button to go to a channel. OMFG.

Instead of going over to teach him, which I might have if he hadnt irritated me with this line where he muttered like "The previous one is working just fine and then go and change for what, now I dunno how to use."

Blood pressure sky-rocketed. Fine you dont want to ask nicely, say this type of crap, dont even want to try to figure out yourself, then dont watch. Duh! He tried a few more times, switched off. And just a few moments ago, asked me gruffly for the instruction menu. Fine, go on ahead. So good at reading books and learnig. Do your own learning. Will it harm one to wait a bit and ask nicely? Its just like that incident when he asked about the dates of the school holiday... Just a sentence and I felt like blasting Linkim Park music to calm my angry nerves.

This is not the only incident though. Every 1-2 months, he would ask my sisters how to read and delete sms and call for the nth time *where n is greater than 8 already. Even though they had both taught him several times now. I had the unfortunate task of teaching him one day and puked blood. And what does he do. Doesnt practice it and then conveniently forget everything. His phone is non-existent. Doesnt switch it on, doesnt use it to call. Then what's the use? Everybody in the family say is waste of money. My mom picked up her hp much much later than my dad yet within a short while, after being taught by my sisters, she could sms both english and chinese, call. The difference is the attitude.

I know age is catching up. BUT this is not ENTIRELY that, cos just like going online to the Internet. He doesnt know cos he doesnt do that often. Even things like open email is such a big deal. Just 2 years ago, he uses computer in his work. Dunno. I do feel my anger subsiding alot more now. Maybe a few more mins, I will go over to teach him....

Seriously if MEN are like this, I rather be single. For my own sake. No wonder married men live longer than single men. The women helped them. Then married women lived shorter than single women cos they puke blood helping the married mcp men.

MEN.... signz
_________________________________________

K I have just taught my dad how to use the buttons. There is an additional step of pressing the STAR button. No wonder the controller was kinda useless before that. Then to be fair to my dad, he's not THAT stick-in-the-mud but still is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yingel here, this is a funny one. so agreed on everything u had said. about the dirty floor and stuff, it totally irked me too. don't even want to sit in his seat. got sweat somemore :)