Saturday, May 21, 2011

Memorable food

Last week while eating my dabao lunch in the office, my Jap collegue, whom I am on good terms with, recommended this Jap food place called Ootoya. It's also available in Japan and sells more home-style Jap food. She recommends the set cos they come with free flow of rice (she really likes to eat rice)I was actually wondering whether I would even eat more than 1 bowl of rice. At the same time, my sister was raving about this dessert place at 313, called Mang Ji. So after Candle came back to Spore n proposed to meet up, I suggested trying both at once. First is dinner at Orchard Central followed by dessert at 313.

We met up on Monday evening. I headed there straight after work and was early. I went to the restaurant first. Spent some time looking through the menu, but cos the rest were a bit late plus I felt my gastric pangs starting cos I was really hungry. Had a light lunch. Ordered first. I ordered the set with chicken cutlet n croquette. I added this tororo or grated yam on my rice. It looks good and my first time having that. When it came, the grated yam gave light tasty texture n made it easy to eat the rice. I finished the rice very quickly within 2-3mins and got a rice refill. It's back to normal rice then. Continue eating. It's enjoyable to eat the set. Very full. Tab n Candle came soon after. They enjoyed the food too. I got a new bottle of Absolut vodka - Ruby Red. Need to find space to put my increasing collection of alcohol within easy reach.

We walked around some to let our stomach digest the food then headed to Mang Ji. I couldn't find the thing my sister recommended on the menu (there's another small menu with more stuff)I had the glutinous balls with walnut soup plus mango pancake. Pretty good. The mango sago is very thick n tasty. Definitely going back to try some more stuff since my sister showed me that exact item on that small menu paper she brought home.

Thursday, my assignment got cancelled n I decided to go for dinner with my local collegue. We ate at the Ootoya in clementi mall. Partly she needed to go to Phoon Huat (this chain that sells everything related to baking in clementi, she was alone for dinner, I wanted to test out that hamburg steak on the menu cos was thinking of treating my dad for his birthday us also introd to my collegue who loves Jap food.

The hamburg steak was okay but lose to the Korean BBQ chicken one but they took that out of the menu. This time I only ate 1 bowl of rice even with the tororo added. Later while she was buying some Thai dessert from Sticky Rice, I got the ice blended gulamelaka avocado. It's surprisingly good. I overcame my 心里章碍 about avocado. It's surprisingly a good combo for me cos I love the taste of gulamelaka. We headed to Phoon Huat and I bought some pasta to make. I bought the sauce on tue.

Friday, I agreed to go to my level's dinner. So the teachers of the level plus Headless were going to Sunset way. I decided to go cos partly I've turned down all those so far, the 3 school, whole school and even my own level n also the Pink one. So I think I've turned down at least 4-5. Since the organizer Jap teacher told me the place n it's in sunset way, Grill-out, never been there before, so I agreed. They asked me on Wed, then I had no plans, so decided to go. Nevermind my intended gym.

Though I was really tired cos I used most of my free time to plan next week's lessons plus get ready the resources. I had to do 'OT' of sort cos I end at 5pm but they leaving at 6.30pm. So I continued to think n plan the stuff. A collegue drove me with 2 others in her car while the rest shared cabs there.

The food was surprisingly very good. The clam chowder is a nice start with bread buns. The next is plate of fresh oysters. When it came, the Jap teachers actually sent hem back to be grilled except at my part of the table. 3 of us are sharing the portions n decided fresh is alright. So we didn't send back our plate. I decided to challenge one. Since I haven't eaten before plus the guy assured us it's very fresh. So I got the slightly smaller one, squeezed some lemon over and ate it. It's surprisingly light and soft n easy to chew through. Just when after a few chews, when it reached the part with more 'oystery' stuff, I swallowed. It's really not bad, intense oyster flavor (oyster omelette oyster taste) but still not my thing. Once in a lifetime thingy. The collegues were looking on when I told them it's my first time eating that. It's okay but not a new favorite. Later on the grilled ones came n they also served one portion on our table, I took one more just to taste the difference. It's nicely done. Its in a half cooked state, even more like oyster omelette oyster but still tender and easy to chew through. Slightly lesser intense oyster flavor when compared to the fresh version. A different texture n taste.

The next platter of 4 grilled meats; lamb with mint sauce, beef with brown sauce, pork with apple sauce n swordfish with chopped garlic. The lamb n beef were exceptional. Though they were not cooked through, maybe medium or medium-well but it's very tender n favorable until I can't taste the blood... (that is skillful) the little bit of fats melts in the mouth like satay with those bits of fats. Really delicious. The baby potatoes n carrots side was good too.

The next was portebello mushroom aglio pasta was ligh n delicious. The fries n wedges are very fresh n tasty (though I am not a fries person) By then very full. They decided to order dessert from the neighboring dessert shop Buttercake. I didn't want to eat cos I was too full but a Jap collegue highly recommends n like how they ordered dinner, they ordered a portion for each gp to share. It's a molten chocolate lava cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream n a small jug of condensed milk to dribble. Before that arrived, one had bought a cheesecake for one of the collegue's birthday. Then it turned out 4 collegues had their birthday in may, so each took turn to have a birthday song n pic taken with the cake, turning the candles in different combinations. So that meant cheesecake plus lava cake. I took a small portion of the lava plus ice cream. It's really flavourful, chocolatey n cocoa-y but too sweet for my liking.

Around 9.45pm, we ended n left. I wanted to take public transport but a few of them stayed near the school n hence told me to share a cab with them. Nice thought but later cos they flagged in the opp direction of where we were heading plus it was shift changing time so it took more than 15-20mins to grab a cab, that is after we finally crossed the road to take the cab. No point for me to point out verbally cos they have to do it the Jap way, I just followed quietly. Then they wanted to drop me first but I told the driver to drive the guy teacher first since the rest of us live along the same stretch of the AYE. Reached home safely with a full stomach.

Though in the end it went from $40 to $60 but since the quality is so much better plus it included the dessert, its alright. Though I didn't order drinks n still think the non drinkers subsidize the drinkers. But overall one of the best dinners beside the Nirai Kanai. I did feel tha if I had taken public transport, I would have reached home abit earlier cos it's not that far though I have to change bus, n the whole waiting for cab. But not to let it marr a good meal. Conversation-wise, this Jap guy collegue was talkin the whole night with me in English cos he sits beside me. He can really eat though. Make a bit of small talk with the others including Headless. Social setting wise, it's okay as long as it's not work. I did have the urge to go vegetarian but I know I can't eat all veg without meat.

My dad of all place, wanted to eat BK. I wasnt that happy to go to Clementi mall just to eat BK. Its a non-event of sort. Then we were to set off at 12 but not punctual n a very heavy downpour fell. I was so hungry but we had to wait until the rain was lighter n that took 2
hours. Sensing my irritation cos my mom cut the cake which my dad refused to accept cos of him blaming his heart attack on eggs solely n hence egg-phobia. My sister passed me the cake which I ate grudgingly cos I am not those who eats sweet stuff when I am very hungry. It was too sweet n kinda spoilt my appetite. It's a bad day. My irritation meter was through the roof... Was glad when we reached home at 4pm. A simple lunch dragged out 2 hrs... Signs I need to work on getting this out of my system. Reached home n just slept.

Woke up missed gym again n I made a ham sandwich with a huge plate of salad. I have been making my own salad to eat since last week. I bought cherry tomato, a head of lettuce, purple cabbage n black olives. I washed n chopped up the veg n store in the chiller. Plus a tomato vinegar salad dressing, so I can make my breakfast ham sandwich n a lunch add-on salad n fruit. Which I bring to work in containers. Anyway I felt better munching down the big plate of salad.

No comments: