Sunday, November 25, 2012

Clark Kent disguise

... this year, specifically after the time I tried to wear contact lens and V-neck plain Ts, on days I have Krav Maga.I noticed I am getting stared at by students especially.

I don't think I am imagining things... Cos I know the difference between a look, a longer glance and a stare. Don't think I am that egoistic to boast about my looks...

Well when the usual is polo-Ts n 3/4 worn khakis and spectacles everyday, it's really HARD to miss the sudden departure...

Plus I had students asking what happened to my spectacles when I wore first wore contacts then the next day when I wore glasses back, asked me why I wear glasses...

Think the change in looks from be-spectacled to contacts made some realize I am different. I noticed some of my own students became closer and more comfortable with me. Or that might be attributed to my interesting style of lessons? Or is just more familiarity over time? No hanky-panky, just they seem more comfortable.

Actually don't think it's a big deal but just cos I never dress formally with contacts, so it's kinda refreshing and surprising. Everytime I wear contacts, some female colleagues would remark I look good. One office staff didn't realize it was me until she took a second look when she saw me in the toilet once.

Seriously I've never realized that Clark Kent aka SuperMan's glasses disguise is so effective...

Last Friday, I wore this very nice-fitting black striped formal long-sleeved shirt with lady's work pants plus black sport shoes, carried my new Lacoste bag to work cos,

firstly there was individual photo-taking for the annual year book. I used the same photo taken 2 years ago n it kinda wasn't as nice a pic, plus I had lost weight, so wanna take an updated photo, though I was sceptic whether I could smile at all so early in the morning. I wasn't hoping for any better pic to be honest, just do it to change the pic they have been using of me for the past 2 years.

Plus I had to meet up with JC friends for dinner after work. So I had 2 choices; wear work clothes, bring formal clothes for photo-taking, and going-out clothes to change into or just wear the same formal clothes through the whole day. Opted for the latter. Brought make-up to cover a couple of pimples and just to make the face uniformly one-tone.

Well it's really one of my first time wearing formal clothes with contacts for an entire day with lessons, with slightly styled neater hair. I had worn for the opening and closing ceremony before. Just not for such a long duration plus not so nicely fitting. Loose jacket etc, plus plumper then.

When I got off the bus and was waiting to cross the traffic crossing, a bus zoomed past and I saw a male student of mine who had his eyes wide open along with his mouth on it. Just ignored and crossed and walked in. No colleagues mentioned anything when they saw me, except the office clerks. One said I look even slimmer in all-black. Another told me she prefers me with contacts.

When I went to my form class to do the usual jaguaring, one girl was lying on the table, dozing. Obligatorily, I had to shake her awake cos not meant to do so. She looked up, saw me and took a double-take. Think I have been too stern with my form class, no one asked. I just continue as usual.

The bell rang and I went down. Went to the toilet to apply the skin tinted oxy liquid in hopes it can cover my blemishes so that I won't have to do make-up. Am always a minimalist but it couldn't cover my couple of pimples so using that as a base, applied a thin layer of foundation to smooth out the skin. It worked. Put on lip gloss. Decided to skip blush n lipstick cos I just want my blemishes covered for the pic. Not to do the full thing for what? Plus I had 3 lessons instead of the usual 2.

The photo took a mere 1 min, think it was ok, not the best pic I could have in the morning. I just am not natural posing in-front of the camera. The smile won't reach the eyes. But glad for a change of pic.

Kept the make-up on cos shortly after was my 1st lesson of the day. Went to my room and carried a box of dictionaries. I wasn't the lead teacher, just assisting during the lesson. I was early so I sat outside the class on a bench. Didn't feel like going in so early to stare at them, they look at you until time is up. So while seated outside, got stared at... I could see like some girls walking normally, saw me, did a double take and started staring, boys noticed the difference too. Smiled and waved at a few then headed inside.

Once I was inside, a group of my male students came up and asked me why I wore black. I told them of the photo-taking n dinner plans. One (same guy with the open mouth earlier) thought I was cos-playing... Wow that really is such a big difference huh? It's a nice form-fitting black-striped formal shirt, I must admit. Love the collar n sleeves.

Then we started. While the lead was talking, I was infront, at the side, I tend to look in that direction to cue others to look, I heard one of my female student say that I look cool. Guess she was looking at my side profile while I was looking ahead. Didn't want to look back in that direction, don't wanna break the focus. Later when the writing began, I walked around to assist anyone who needed help. She raised her hand and when I walked over. First thing she said was "Teacher, u look really cool today", which my reply was a "Thank you" with a smile and asked if she needed help, which she didn't. Really I went around and around, asking my own students if they needed help, hardly needed. It was a good class unlike my form so really I had little to do but walked round with minor help here and there. One more chatty female student did ask for me to proof-read and help cos she didn't bring her file so some info wasn't available. Gave her some ideas to work on. I did say later that nobody needed my help so I felt tired walking around, she jokingly said I could go to my room to take a nap. Well if only I could. That lesson felt so long cos I had little to occupy me. But progress was great.

Ended and I carried the box of dictionaries back to my room, saw a student of mine, whose class I won't be seeing that day, she looked at me with a frown like concentrating. I just walk past and headed downstairs.

Downstairs I felt my face getting oily, blotted and later wiped off the make-up with wet tissue. Applied moisturizer instead. Checked books and files and listened to music. An hour later, another class, this time solo. But it was returning of exam papers so I was really serious cos two didn't do well. Nobody said anything to me not ask me why I dressed so but u can see they noticed. But exam paper was more important. After all the chalk dust, I had to use a wet tissue to wipe off the dust from my black outfit.

My last class was the last lesson of the day, stoned and listen music, read news, think of ideas, prepare. My own form class but they had seen me first thing in the morning so no surprise. Still nobody asked. So my policy is don't ask, don't say.

But during the going-home short time, I had to shout at a bunch who were delaying everyone by not being seated. Obviously my weak n inexperienced main is not able to settle them. Sian! Have to wear nice n still shout. Only this year I have to raise my voice so much... Plus roll eyes, look at the blue skies, and sigh

There was a heavy downpour just before dismissal. I change out of my sports goes n socks into sandals. Took my big umbrella and walked to the bus I was in-charged of. Two of my form female students saw me. I looked at them, they seem to want to brave the rain and run. Asked them where was their bus. It was on the other end where I was heading but I decided to ferry them cos my umbrella was huge enough. I did get my left sleeve n legs of the pants wet cos I shielded them more. Walked over, and they were discussing in jap how kind I was. Another of my student passed behind us, saw us and said "Teacher u r Ikkenmen", which I replied "Wrong term to use..." Thanked by he girls when I reached their bus then walked to the other end. By the time I walked to the other end, the other colleague settled so I didn't have to check the bus. Waved and headed back.

Had dept meeting and had to stay on and discuss some stuff. After discussion, another two female colleagues remarked I look good.

(Man after all these, it just make me think, what's the use of being cool if that attract female attention, am not lesbian. Plus if keep saying I look good now, meant I looked crappy on usual days? Also if wear everyday also is no impact cos it will become the norm) so I still keep to more important days plus Krav Maga days. Also feel my days of coolness is numbered as I age. Obvious lines on my face though not too deep yet plus how much longer can keep this up? True I am as slim as my Uni days but age is catching up. Haven't decided on any new look... Sigh... Wanna be young forever but the age does catch up both to the body and to the soul.

Later on walked over to the Mall and met up with my JC friends. First thing one said when she arrived was to tell me to stand up cos I was early and seated at the table. She wanted to see how slim I had become, cos she's in my FB so she knew of my weight loss. When she saw my waist, she was like "wow ur waist is 26 inches?!?" I told her no lah... She was keen to know how I lost the weight partly for herself but mainly for her husband whose weight ballooned. One of the married male friend also ballooned after marriage. i shared with them my attempts at both extremes of the Exercise vs Dietary Control spectrum. in the end, introd both to the IDAT app I used to track my daily calories. We had many interesting topics and threads of discussion. Ended about 9.30pm. Glad it's near to home for a change, reached home and bathed.

Next day Turkey tutorial, slept a bit earlier. This has been a crazy week...

No comments: