Friday, November 26, 2004

Barbeque

Today is my last day of work until the meeting in late Dec. Finally a long holiday leave for me. Ever since I started working one year and four months ago, this is my FIRST official leave. Hurray for me. The good thing is that I am paid for this period. Yah!

Com meeting ended at twelve, but I couldnt leave early cos I promised a collegue to go to bbq with her and her students. So I hang and hang and hang around until three thirty. Managed to kill some time by hopping to a nearby mall to buy a magnetic weiqi set and a new transparent recorder. Going to practice that also during the holidays.

So me and her split the students into 2 gps to travel to the West Coast Park via public transport. On the bus, one kid showed me a page from a magazine that her friend handed her. Its a case about teenagers having sex with bf. I read it and mockingly asked all of them whether they had done it or not. Phew all denied. I better not unearth any BIG secrets.

When we arrived, we took quite a while to set up the bbq pits and some kids complained hungry. Then half marched off to the nearest Mac to eat. Sign... But half stayed back to cook and eat. I was busy setting up one of the pits. Phew, hot. Was cooking and cooking... Some kid nice to offer me drinks. Later when most have eaten, they noticed that I havent eaten and asked me. I did when it became less crowded, leisurely bbqing my taiwan sausage. I boasted to them that mine is better cooked than those sold at the pasar malam. In fact it tasted great too! Later I challenged some kids to cook a better chicken than me. Mocked their burnt chicken wings. Then the kid looked at me cook and said "burn burn burn..." Priceless.

In the end, cooked as much as we could but still way too much food left so at eight, promptly packed up and everyone dabao something home. I got bread, sweet potatoes and margarine. Hmm a windfall? Then we waited for the bus and for a parent to fetch. Just nice, the parent came and then shortly after the bus came. I watched them board and started walking home. Before the bus zoomed off, some students saw me, and waved. Waved back. The passion. On the whole, still an enjoyable bbq. But it took me quite a while to walk home and no wonder had a sore knee on Sat.

No comments: