Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Thailand trip, thoughts

It was a fun trip, fun being an understatement.

Cos its the first time in at least 5 years, where the whole uni gang is reunited to go out travelling on masse. With the perk of strong financial power.

Some thoughts of mine which I would like to record while they are still fresh.

1) Fruit theme
Fruits seem to be the main theme in our adventure in Bangkok.

It started with Mangoes that Tab got to buy for her prospective future mother-in-law. The whole episode from the buying and later to the packing and re-packing of the precious cargo is an epic in itself. Plus the lame jokes about WHERE exactly to put the precious cargo... includes in underwear and inside bras etc, the jokes about the squashing of the mangoes into all sorts of juices... An epic, truely.

Then there was the Watermelon, where the cooling drink often comes late when the person ordered it. Hence drawing lame jokes about it still being grown, harvested, planted, skinned... *shivers from lameness*

And last but not least, the Coconut, a cooling drink much welcomed after a long day out. We had such a great time drinking coconut and cracking coconut-related jokes after the massage, walking back to the hotel, laughing loudly in the streets. There's even a photo for it, albeit not in the 'pose' we joked about.

2) Fast Food
Surprisingly, our meals in Bangkok consisted mainly of fast food. The reason being that there wasnt anywhere else to go near the hotel around 10pm. The only location still open was the 24hr Mac. So its Mac for supper Day1, Mac for breakfast Day2.

Then there is the A&W. It has shut down in both Singapore and Malaysia as far as we know and we were pleasantly surprised to find it in Bangkok. Missing the root beer float, connie dog (which I dunno what its like) and curly fries.

The funny thing was, despite our plans to eat it on Day1, it was twarted by the heavy rain (which incidentally caused us to be trapped in the 2-storey shopping area and we ended up in Dunkin Doughnuts) Day2 plans to eat it for breakfast was twarted by Mac. Day2 supper twarted by a full day of shopping plus massage and which resulted in eating at another fast food place, Chester. Me and Ting ended up eating KFC thailand style. The crispy is delicious, well season and tasty, definitely nicer than Spore ones, which kinda tasteless.

Finally on Day3, we managed to plonk our asses in A&W and ate a feast of more fried chicken, chicken waffle burger, root beer floats and waffles. I was joking with Tab that for all those side-tracks, it has become a quest to eat at A&W. Even if when finally the food didnt taste that great, I will still force myself to 'enjoy' it. The waffle and rootbeer float are nice. Its just like that 'Mushroom Monster' quest which I am still somewhat embarking on at NYDC. It was so limited edition, cant even taste it, then taken off the menu, now returned to the menu again... >_>

3) Massage and PSP
Surprisingly the massage quite good though I only went for one round. Cos that morning, I had gone to the gym that morning and was having muscle aches. Not that I wanted to act hero or try to outdo FH (Tab's FH, NOT my FH okay) but the lightest weight they had was 6kg (2.5 weights x 2 plus weighted bar) instead of my usual 2kg... The massuer managed to hit the right spots, though I complained of pain initially. BUT sadly trying to sleep on the plane ride gave me a stiff neck. Oh well, if there is a next trip, will go massage everyday.

My Aoi is a good source of relief of boredom. Went from playing DJ game to playing puzzle, then to mind games. Distracted Quetzal from her studying. PSP, good for boring journeys to and from work (like moi), and on long journey.

4)Money money
Yep money no enough, or more like baht no enough
This trip spent $500 on shopping and food, $180 accomodation, $160 on alcohol, $260 tix... >_< But its more like its quite worthwhile, cos overall its a relaxing trip, nothing too overly touristy about it, not waking up bloody early to visit all the tourist sites. Its a bit more free and easy.

The clothes for my sisters I intend to just give it to them FOC. Then the alcohol are mostly presents... 2 sherry for my dad (bdae, father day), 1 Jack Danial for my bro (bdae), 1 martell was my mom's order, though she paid. The rest are mine, A Port (never drink b4), an Absolute Pear Vodka (never drink b4) and beer (brands,never drink b4). See the pattern? Buying those never drink b4 types... curious I guess?

BUT ITS TOO HOT TO DRINK! The weather in Bangkok was more cooling than Spore. Came back to sweltering heat that made me feel absolutely exhausted especially on Tuesday. Didnt feel like in the mood to drink any alcohol. The next day, I woke up, not knowing where I was. It took me a while to realize that it was a tuesday, that I had to work, that I was almost late for work cos I had forgotten I had to start earlier on tue. Guess my soul was still somewhere in Bangkok living it up.

No comments: