Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Some happenings

Came back on Thurs late afternoon via KMT (malaysian railway) and headed for Jap class cos I had a wedding to attend on Sat.

Friday spent resting at home. Downloaded Youtube downloader and converted the PV (music videos) into PSP files to put inside Aoi.

Sat went to explore the Turf City (old one) with my sister, cos never been there. The antiquity surprises me and reminds us both of msia when we walked around. Only things bought were Bacadi Breezer - Cranberry (new) , peach and orange from Giant at a steal of $3.95 each. The Cranberry is very nice, lite and reminds me of a nice soda. Only prob was when I saw the same one at Cold Storage yest, it cost $5.95 instead. Should have bought more then... signz

Evening travelled to quite northern part of spore for the wedding. Its a first for me cos its a different ethnicity one. Anyway it turned out not enough seats cos those invited brought their whole family plus extended family, unlike the typical ones where invited means only you plus maybe your other if u are married. So ended up sitting at where I REALLY didnt want to sit at. Nvm, took out Aoi and played and watched PVs to avoid small talk after the buffet, where again it was a first. The queue was so so long. Luckily I had an ultra late brunch with my sister after our Turf city adventure. Just ate a piece of each of the dish. Think I still overpaid in the angbao (I've reduced it by $10 after I saw the setting and setup) but given that some brought so many members along and still one angbao, think I've helped to defray the losses a bit.

Sun went for gym with sister in the morning. Afternoon went to see sinseh for persistent pain in my right elbow. Evening, treated my Dad and family to Father's Day at Long John Silver (his choice). Late in the night from 10pm to almost 1am, I finally tidied up my room so that there is space for walking. Threw out almost all my university clothes, plus my contract teaching clothes, packed them up for Salvation army. Cleared and tidied enough that finally I could walk around in the room, could open my storage drawers to get clothes.

Mon stayed at home, online reading and stuff. Went to buy Toto, update bank a/c and helped my mom change money to RM, current exchange rate 236.50Rm per S$100. Came back hot and sweaty, headed out with Dad and sister to buy his chair. Went to Holland Village for my sister to buy working ladies shoes, not covered ones. I bought a pair of Nickolodean slippers @$25 that resembled the Burkenstock model that Tab favours. My sis bought 3 pairs at $30 each. For those with bigger size, Holland Village caters to Ang Moh sizes. So a havan for those with bigger than Asian size problems, not necessarily cheaper though, there are bargains.

Tue today didnt go back to work cos didnt feel like it. Its still not compulsory yet, had wanted to go back to clear up some marking but just didnt feel up to it. Still have 1 piece of work pending. I finished the momoliath one while staying in msia. Just havent worked up the mood to do it yet. Will try to do it later on.

Spent some time while looking at the live stock market prices in Poem. I do track them a bit on and off, not everyday since last August. Still havent really gotten an investment strategy of my own, cos relied on my Dad's perception of the market. Didnt have the confidence to start buying on my own. Cos there was a time this feb/mar when I wanted to just plunge in but luckily I held up and just did a paper trade. ie I pretend to buy at a certain price on a certain day. Then the stock fell and though it went up later, from P1 past P2, it never reached the high price that I 'paid' for it. Hence I decided I should just track the prices until I can decide where is a decent price within budget to go in. Of course being prepared for the downside as well, as in its not money that I will need in an emergency.

Basically the story is this, at least from my data from Aug to now. There are 2 days where the stock market fell drastically, P1 and P2, P2 is higher than P1. Now at least for the stocks I am tracking, some are approaching P2. Still havent fallen there but hovering quite near to it, say 10-20 cents difference, ie $100-200 difference. Though my Dad's perception is that there will be bigger falls yet and its not a time for buying.

I had 2 orders of 1 lot for 2 stocks I am tracking. I believe its a okay price for now, based on my data. So far one executed, other is not cos the price is trading above what I am willing to pay. I am not doing contra, so not sitting on the hot seat. Just proper investing. Ie have enough to pay for the stock. Its interesting just how much about the trading platform I can learn from actually investing. Also one thing they never taught is that after buying, you may start to have doubts about your decision. A lot of 'What ifs' appears. Well at some point, have to be mentally prepared to sit through the price fluctuations and the consequence of your decision and also your investment strategy and beliefs.

No gurantee of returns cos no news of dividends yet at least for this quarter, price increase is anybody's guess. But its still better knowing that at least now I have made the first step to invest on my own, with doing some research, with monitoring the market, trying to build my own investment strategy and also trying to think of how much returns should I expect before selling, how much of a loss I can handle or sit through. Also that a bit of my money is now 'working' for me instead of me just working.

It is definitely near impossible for me to invest every cent and expect a return that is my annual income, unless one gambles and speculates. A job is still required. I hope to be able to slowly and gradually build up an alternative revenue source of about 20%. It will take a while. But slowly and carefully first. I suspect still got lots to learn, now that I have 1 lot independent of my Dad's portfolio and outside the domains he usually looks at.

Also only recently then I added tracking the DJI and STI index to just get a gauge of the markets, whether its falling or rising. A simple gauge only. Havent tried any technical charting. Still not sure how to go about the calculations. But yahoo has the charts. Not that confident of my reading of the charts yet, havent finished that book yet.

There is like 2 more hours now before the ST market stops trading. My other order still not being filled. Now I am really learning the virtue of waiting. Its easy to say wait for the price. But now I can see Sellers wanting to sell a bit higher and my bif is lower with no seller selling. So the question is should I just bid higher? or just wait cos the market may (only) weaken or strengthen... So hence the dilemna. If you go bid higher just so you can get your orders filled, then if stock prices goes down, more losses, even if prices go up, lesser gain. The other side of the argument is if you are already committing thousand of dollars, what that difference of 100 or so? Its really easy to say when one is on the sideline, but now inside, its a different thing altogether. You just have to decide, stick or change and live with your choices. Its not as easy as it sounds.

I want to go out but not to anywhere far or exotic nor do I intend to stay out late. Its just restlessness.

No comments: