Thursday, April 15, 2010

Eye-opening 1st week at school

Monday

Three is a ceremony with new educators sitting on the chairs on the stage. Then got to do a 1min max self-introduction. I did mine in English and then sat back on the seats. Then a representative of the students have to make a speech to the educators. A lot of bowing and stuff then we got off the stage. That was first official ceremony with the sec 2 and 3 students. Later on had to do another whole staff together self-introd including maintanence staff, cleaner staff, office staff. They really value team-work.

Tuesday

This is the very formal ceremony to welcome the incoming sec 1. All the students from sec 1 to 3 are in school from the normal hours. We start officially at 8.15am everyday. Then time table is suspended and they stay with their home room aka form teachers in their base classrooms.

The formal ceremony begins at 2pm. There was only 20 mins allocated for lunch, which meant we had to eat in. BUT I didnt pack any lunch, luckily we could order bento like the students at $8 ouch. So I didnt have much to do, do your own stuff. I did already occupy my time at work reading through sec 1 to sec 3 student's textbook, looked through 3 levels of resource materials, looked through the phoneics file and even already surfed online to look for good websites with ws, stuff that could be used. Think I already am trying quite hard to make sure I am not doing non-work stuff but there's only so much to do. Stone a bit, go make drink, go toilet, go walk around the school to check out where the rooms are according to the floor plans.

The formal ceremony meant I had to add a jacket (one I had since JC graduation) and yes I can wear it still. Then each staff is given a brooch made of fresh orchids, tied with a ribbon and with a safety pin for pinning on your top. I pinned mine on my jacket and also put on light make-up but didnt do any hair. Just combed it. We went up and sat on 3 rows according to level at the side of the hall. Then it was very very very hot. I was sweating 5mins when I went in. Had to keep resisting the urge to fan myself with the programme sheet which has all the names of the Sec 1 incoming students. But it was not proper so just bear it. Then the form teachers of the class led the Sec 1 students in and it took about 10mins for all to be seated, we had to keep applauding as each pair of students walked down the red carpet. The interesting cultural difference is that everyone applauded and continued to keep the applause in volume throughout for an entire 10+ minutes. An eye-opener for us locals who can hardly keep up the applause after the firnst 20seconds. The parents were filiming with video cameras and using powerful Sony cameras with very powerful lenses. Eye-opener indeed.

Then one part of the ceremony involves the reading out of every Sec 1 student's name by the form teacher. When their names are read, they have to stand and adknowledge with a loud "Hai" (which in jap means Yes, Understand etc etc) Then they present the class, all sit down and move onto the next class. After that, there is a speech by P to students. Then a representative from Sec 1 makes a speech on behalf of the entire Sec 1 corhort. Then a representative from Sec 3 makes a speech on behalf of the Seniors to the incoming Sec 1. The entire educators have to move on infront to give a bow and say "Onegashimasu" when they are introduced to the entire school with Sec 1-3 and parents. End off with school song and later applaud the Sec 1 as they make their way out of the hall much like how they entered the Hall. I was dripping sweat off my brows, over the sides of my face, my blouse was almost soaked. I had never sweated so much in formal attire before. The only time I sweated so much was when I exercised. Next time I shall carry a hankerchief or small towel like what they do. After that still had to take individual photo but had some time to cool down in the staff room. I was knocked out very early at night before 9pm. Slept all the way until I woke up in the wee hours of the morning.

Wednesday

Still in formal cos have an entire staff photo-taking in the morning. Then after I wiped off my very light make-up with the wet tissue. Classes still hadnt started officially cos this entire week, suspended for tests, both academically and physically and ceremonies. I had to do another self-introd with the level staff with the level students whom I am assigned to.

I was assigned bus duty so it meant when school ends, I have to board the bus to check that the students are accounted for. I have a partner who is a Jap so she can read all those Kanji jap names that I really dont have the ability to read. Then had to ride on the bus with them to check that it goes to the right route reflected in the list. Luckily that's only once a year. But everyday, I have to wave to the students in the bus as the buses are departing at the assigned time. I have to wave at every bus as it drives by. Woah... another eye-opener.

For the other 2 locals, they are bored to tears during some of the ceremonies cos they dont understand a word of jap nor do they know that much of the culture, I guess. I know some practice cos I ever saw them either on tv or in manga when they show school life. The only difference is that I am seeing and having to do some of them in real life now. Well I am grateful for the slack now. Not wanting to go all-out. Just wanna do enough for now.

Next week classes would start but not confirmed classes but guess more self-introduction to do.

No comments: