Friday, November 26, 2010

Whoopie Pies 2nd try

Having exams this two days; Thur and Fri.

Yesterday I didnt had to do much beside helping to fold the exam papers cos they are printed on A3 paper. So need to fold into halves and then put the relevant pages together. Luckily I decided to make it yesterday. And finished it yesterday.

I wanted to make a bigger batch, 3 to be precise. So I wasnt going to make 1 batch at a time. I tripled the ingredients and made a huge batch at a go. Wow it was an eye-opener with regards to how sticky the mixture became after all are combined. It became thicker than what I made the 1st try. So I followed the steps that I took when I made it successfully the first time. Familarity with experience, I mass-cut the baking paper, lined the baking tins and then proceeded to scoop out a tablespoonful of the mixture on the baking sheet. But an unexpected outcome came about when I took out the baked whoopie from the oven.

It was humongous. Plus it didnt turn out very roundish. Cos the mixture was very viscous. It wasnt easy to scoop out a tablespoon and when it was on the baking sheet. It didnt spread out much. So that accounted for the thick and odd-shaped whoopies. On the first try, cos the mixture was a little bit less viscous, so during baking, it spreaded outwards and I ended up with very nice rounds. But this batch, taste better, cos I up-ed the sugar. Also with such a huge batch with triple ingredients, it taste richer than before. So now I know about the effects of making seperate batch or a massive batch.

Then an accident of sort happened. My butter which I placed on the workstation was too near to the oven. The heat radiated melted the butter. Shit! Luckily my collegue can drive and we drove out during lunch and got 2 bars of butter. Extra cost dammit! Then I proceeded to make the Peanut-butter Buttercream. To the mixture which taste inbetween smooth peanut and butter, I added grounded peanut powder. And the taste improved by leaps. Then I made Matcha Buttercream. This time I added quite a bit of the matcha powder including a pack of my instant matcha milk. It turned out pretty matcha-ey indeed. Just before dismissal, I just finished up to this stage.

After dismissal, I went back upstairs to continue. I painstakingly spread the buttercream onto the whoopie pies and they resemble hamburgers. Then to make sure I used up all the buttercream, I spread them and then had re-open them to add even more. After that, I had to individually wrap up each of them in plastic. Then I put them in a bigger zip lock bag and put them all in the freezer. So only when want to eat, then take out and let it thaw. I did eat one of each. I was surprised that the whoopie is very thick. And the peanut butter can cover the taste of the cocoa whoopie. But towards the end of the whoopie, I can taste it again. The matcha ones, the matcha complements the cocoa whoopies very well. So I would advise eating the matcha ones first then eating the peanut ones.

Luckily finished making everything yesterday. Cos today, they asked us to help them do marking. It meant our planned extended long long lunch went down the drain. Cos I've finished making so that meant I dont have to stay back late today to make. Just bring home and store in freezer. I think I still have 34 humongous whoopies. Will bring some back home for family, some for tomorrow. And the remainder, I think I would cut into quarters (due to the size) and leave for collegues to finish for me. Too much of it, also cant finish also no point.

No comments: