Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Krav Maga trial class & KettleBell workout

Last Wed, Tab and I headed for our trial Krav Maga course, if it was okay, will take it up. We were quite keen to learn a self-defense art before our bones creaked too much from age. So it's a do-it-while-I-still-can thingy. The thing was I had a rather bad day before. The meeting stretched into an almost 3hrs affair, after several hours under the hot sun rehearsal. One can understand why I wanted to head off, but it dragged on until by the time I got out, it was 6.30pm. The class was at 7pm and I hadn't eaten. In my rush, I forgot a bag of clothings at the bus or bus stop and my blue exercise top and blue fila pants plus Guitar Mickey Uniqulo shirt were gone forever... I swallowed down a pack of noodles that was meant for breakfast and hurriedly took the Circle line.
 
By the time I was there, rather sian already. Man that 87 stairs up the building to the dogo was a challenge too. We were already contemplating whether it was worth it. Then we got there a bit late, they had started some warm-up already. We joined in. Some of the warm-up reminds me of the conditioning I do except for the one that combined push-up with side planking. Then there was the warm-up activity of tapping ur opponent's feet while moving around and avoiding being tapped by others. Cos that meant a push-up. Later it became a touch ur opponent's head n tap their feet and avoid or have to do push-up and sit-up. At this juncture, Tab landed one one feet wrongly and sprained her ankle. So she sat it out. I continued and paired up with the odd no of guys to do the lesson.

The whole lesson was about how to defend yourself while u are on your back on the floor and someone's coming towards you. In a series of progression, did the turning to face the opponent with legs, the high kicks, side kicks and how to get up quickly. It was tiring indeed because I've realized that a lot of the core muscles, stomach, back, thighs are utilized. Not easy and that's an understatement. I felt cos I've been doing some conditioning exercise, so that's why I could keep up. But after some rounds, I was almost out flat. Lying on the mat and really like 'you can come right over and kill me, I can't move'.

 Then it came to an end. We talked a bit with the instructor and he did praise me a bit for carrying out the exercise well. It's rare for me to be praised this manner. I remembered the last time I tried Akido during Uni-days, I couldn't get certain stuff (like how to fall correctly), the Wu-shu, also though I could do the basic routine, I only just scraped through the first evaluation (like how my eyes n stance wasn't foccused) so I was surprised myself that so many years after, through the conditioning done in the gym, I can do I this time. Hence after the lesson, I don't mind giving it a go, on a per-lesson basis. So after this, I am going to get a bigger bag, another ankle guard just for Krav Maga. I hope to keep at it, and reach a decent level. I treat it like a full-body conditioning work-out. Though despite slapping on the muscle-cream that night, I suffered very sore muscles on Thur and Fri, which only cleared up by Sunday. It's that power.
________________________

The Sunday and Monday, were kinda lazy, I slept so much to recover from the fatique of the workday on Sat. I decided to do some conditioning and KettleBell, otherwise I won't be able to upkeep the fitness level needed for Krav Maga. Didn't want to just do that solely and end up aching cos I've slacked off other workout. So I did a quick one, just one set of each. Dips, push-ups, leg lifts. Then did the KettleBell swing and one-arm lift. Was sweating like mad just after a set. But didn't want to push myself too much since it was only the 2nd time with KettleBell so I just did stretching after and slapped on muscle-cream. At least it didn't hurt for now, felt better after the quick workout too. But Tab's ankle still not up to it, so most likely I will do another KettleBell workout us revise and revisit the move. Treat as conditioning work-out.

I have been watching my diet very closely on weekdays though the weekend indulgence is still there. Despite the over calories on Sat, I have managed to down the total calories exceeded this month to just + 28.2% which I aim to cancel off in 1-2 days more of lower calories. I still eat 3 meals plus snacking but is just the food choices are better. I was hungry around 4pm, tempted to eat Magee with egg (abt 450 cals) but I sub it for an apple (90cals) which did the job just fine. I wasnt as hungry up til dinnertime. That's what I've been doing, snacking on fruits and choosing healthier lunch. There are times when I eat chicken rice or Nasi Brayani for lunch and still just balanced the calories against my daily calorie intake. But I need to monitor the fat intake too, cholesterol is a concern too. Hmm...

No comments: