Friday, June 21, 2013

Haze, unexpected break n work

Of my classes, there's one which is lacking periods cos of the earlier event. Hence I've been trying to hang in there especially this week, so they don't miss any lessons, even as the haze worsens and I feel myself being affected.

Thursday morning the haze was quite bad that when I reach the workplace, decided to use the cloth mask Tab gave me. All students were issued surgical masks and told to wear them and they are to stay in the air-conditioned classrooms at all times. Colleagues were also told to wear masks. By noon, it had gotten worse that just that short walk between the office n classroom felt uncomfortable without a mask.

I wore the black cloth mask with Chinese characters at the side when I walk between classes outside but once I am inside, I chose to take it off. Cos already get too many stares. Kinda obvious cos everyone is in surgical masks except for me... But the mgt when she came to pass us each a surgical mask didn't object when I showed her what I would be using. So I don't think I broke any rules. 

Just that really tio stared at a lot... Some students commented 'cool', 'look like ninja', 'yakuza'...and even asked where I bought it. Told them it was a gift from Taiwan.

The next day, lessons are cancelled... And I didn't have to go in at all BUT that class was affected... Urgh so I decided to  go in today to type up some notes so they don't have to copy and hopefully I can squeeze in 2.5 lessons stuff in the 2 remaining lessons. We were given an N95 mask each by evening time so ends the reign of the black cloth mask. 

Today the haze reached a new high of 401 while I was working on the notes. I brought both masks home and wore it when I have to go outside the air-con office. I dabao Lor Bee Hoon Mee inside thinking that it'll be better for me to finish with, eat my lunch in then go home. 

3 Curious male colleagues saw what I was eating and asked about it. They love prawn noodles. I couldn't describe fully cos of language barrier so while eating, I put together a simple Word doc with pic of a stall with the sign 卤面 and the dish itself. Added in the ingredients list eg black sauce, egg, beansprouts, fried fish bits. Vinegar and garlic added, can dont add chilli. Wrote in simple English with large fonts. Then typed in the names to order such as Lor Mee, Lor Bee Hoon, Lor Kway Tiao and added a pic of the 3 different types of noodles. Printed it out in color and handed to them, explained what it is, how to find the stall, the names to order n can say no chilli. They happily say they'll try it out.

I decided to go for my 3rd KM in the evening. It's indoors, better than my home. Since I could afford the time n energy, try to maximize my 1st package, which is until the end of June. Plus grading is coming, I was contemplating going for the adv class yesterday but was tired on Wed, left wrist still not fully recovered. It's okay with the wrist support on but if taken out, can feel its not normal yet.

After I reached home, relaxed and played the guitar in the room. Kept windows closed and fan on. It's been a while since I had to luxury of time to play. Found the chords of a song I kinda liked and tried to play it, listening and adding in some strumming patterns for the chords, sounds pretty decent. Fingers are sore due to the high fret action of my budget guitar but it felt good. Watched some videos and mapped for an hour. Woke up to get ready for KM.

This is Week 10 of the first term. I still have 6 weeks to go including rushing to finish for that one class n exam marking... Sometimes I wonder how much more of this routine can I take? 

The stock market is reeling and falling. I should pay attention to any good buy opportunities so that I can earn more passive income, fill my coffers before I can contemplate whether to move on...

For now it's one-day-at-a-time, followed by one-week downed. Throat is getting sore at this point and my voice is affected, lower than before.

No comments: