Thursday, August 15, 2013

15th days, halfway mark

Drums:
The extra drum lesson I added, under a different instructor was fun. First time playing electric drums. The instructor is good, more structured than the other. Introduced to the other drums beside the snare. Toms, high hat, bass drum and even the crashes. Got to play along that pattern to Simple Plan song, nice, though its not exactly how it sounds but its a way to practice drumming with a song. Interesting and by the end of the lesson, I could do the basic drum pattern that involves the bass drum. A matter of co-ordination. It was fun figuring out, like your brain says one thing but your limbs went another way. After class I walked to a couple more restaurants to enquire about corporate dinner. Went home quite contented. Hope to keep this up. 

Audio-books:
Borrowed the Fellowship of the Ring, 16 discs and almost finished with it. Also have Harry Potter, final book. Nice to listen to narration. Except I can't read while listening. But if I'm just stoning, can just listen and focus on the story. Hope to finish them and go to Book 2 & 3 of the LOTR. 

Others:
Slowly moving into the second week of exercise routine and first week of controlling my food intake. It's not easy. I feel at times conflicting thoughts, much like a devil and an angel on my shoulders; one is saying "Nvm, can take it easy lah. Enjoy your holiday. One more nvm" and the other is "Health matters, must have some discipline. Just do it. Hang in there." An internal struggle and I have to get through 21 days of this. Almost mid-way there. Just cheer myself on and keep reminding myself of the commitment and celebrating every little step. I realized that's why I blog about it often.

Investment:
Going to make my second loss and its a large loss $11k cos I got a number of shares at a higher cost than the price they offered to delist at. It's my Dad's counter, I regretted listening to him and learnt a painful lesson to never touch his counters at all ever. Luckily I didn't lose my overall capital but it eroded a chunk of my total profits over these 5-6 years. That's irritating and sian cos this year I hardly made any gains from the stagnant market, just $1k, then I am still $9k more to my annual target then this huge ass negative came in, making it like a $20k target which is really hard. Never mind, I can't undo it, it's a done-deal. So I just got to learn, be careful and try to make back this 'loss' gradually. Just irritated. Bo bian...

KM:
The Adv class has more stuff to learn though there is a refocus on the basics but they combine more things together than the singular stuff at the Beginner class. But the 'unfriendliness' of it at times makes me feel reluctant to go for it. Yar I still trudge ahead, reminding myself of the deeper reasons I have, but at times it's a pain to go for. The longer traveling, have to eat dinner early before or later at night after class, is not helping. Luckily I figured out a nicer timing to leave home when the buses and trains are slightly less crowded but still very much standing the entire journey. At times I feel like reducing to just twice a week until I feel the 'interest' to increase to thrice a week. Hope as I get used to things and the awkwardness reduces, my resolve can get me through this distractions and keep me from quitting easily. Keep reminding myself to keep positive, brush aside the negative.

Mental resilience:
I realized I am getting stronger mentally. If it was my younger self, looking back, I find I don't give up as easily as before. This is a cumulation of past experiences,  age & maturity. I am still not as strong emotionally, but I feel more so than before. How does one gain mental strength? 

It's really not taught through books but through doing stuff; learning your own inadequacies & fears and forgiving yourself for being less than perfect because no one is. That, making mistakes is normal, everyone does. That, you have your own pace and despite others seemingly progressing faster at times, ya don't have to compare but just continue working on yourself. You might be surprised at the pace of your own progress with time. Need to overcome the sense of anxiety, sense of failure, fears, insecurities and doubts and just keep going forth. That's what I remind myself again after another KM class. Not just for the courses I'm going to, some things I am pursuing but I try to apply that to work, which is another area fraught with doubts, insecurities and worries. Keep an open mind.

No comments: