Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Final week - volunteer. drums. shopping n final plans

Volunteer, Sat;
On Sat, I went to the workplace first to meet up with FW, then took a cab with 2 big luggage trolleys to the venue. Man, it was hot there, despite being in the shade. 4 students came to help out. So after setting up everything, we were told off not to start until 5pm, when some pple came over and started 'donating' before then. So spent more than an hour just waiting... What a waste of time.

When I got a break, I took a quick walk-about to look at the stalls. There were 4 wings full of stalls. I went to the ice-cream stall and bought some ice-cream for the students and FW, none for myself cos of my cough. Students help out FOC, so small treat for them. Went back to the stall and stood around. Then as 5pm drew close, the crowds swelled. I helped to answer enquiries by locals about how much the items cost, what's the charity about etc. They couldn't see the Eng displays which were pasted at the tables cos when people crowd around, not able to read. Also the Jap versions were pasted on the hanging string, so only Jap explanation us visible... Nvm. Many donated $2, quite a few $5, $10 especially when you tell them to donate generously for charity.

Later after many hours behind the booth, I went and stood outside the stall, holding up the signs and calling out for people to come to take a look cos it's for charity, hand-made products made by our students for charity. Dunno how long, until the students were let off around 8pm and the crowds started dwindling. Both of us continued to stay until about 10pm. Then packed up the remaining items and shared a cab back to drop off the luggage at workplace, then drop is home. Bleah... It's meaningful for charity but if it becomes adopted as part of the program and yet I am the one 'volunteering' year-by-year, it's not kinda fair to me. Cos even during the preparation lessons, had to put in extra time to clean up after students etc. Dunno how it'll be like next year. For now, I'm glad it's over.

Drums, Sun;
Apparently my right leg and right hand are not time-coordinated, meaning if my right leg kicks the bass drum and my right hand hits the snare, it doesn't sound like a clean one sound, but is disjointed. Surprisingly my left hand is coordinated to my right leg, little or no effort can creat that sound... So I tried to do the tapping exercise in my own time. I went for class and still salah, but I asked the instructor about certain postures, positioning and he answered me, which I really liked. Learnt more through questioning and answering, drummer's wrist warm-up, where to position the sticks, a full-downstroke and a downstroke.  About half-way, after drumming around, getting better at the R-hand, R-leg thingy. Sometimes still off but better than last week. So more tapping exercise. It's not easy but doable. As long as I am progressing, it's good.

Massive Shopping, Mon;
Didn't go for KM cos mom asked if I was free. So she wanted to go and meet Geoky for lunch after her work event. Asked me along on Sunday evening so I didn't msg for class. We met at Illuma for lunch. My treat at Poulet, then we walked around. I ended up buying a lot of stuff at OG, despite me earlier snubbing it as a boring place... So now I know, I am at the "aunty-stage"... Cos BHG was under massive renovation, nothing much there. Ended up with new undergarments that cost me $135. Cos really needed but just kept forgetting and putting off. So one time restock everything. So that's a year's worth. Also bought a 2-liter tea flask with a diffuser inside that cost only $16.90. From the way I drink liquids, this is very suitable. I was looking for such tea flasks with diffusers but they were often too small, just a cup or a small jug. That's not enough. Also bought 2 shorter-styled 3/4 (abv knee caps) that were much more affordable $30 each so that I can have a choice not to wear jeans always cos no bottom. Work khakis require ironing. Then my sporty berms makes me look sloppy n don't match. Often end up with my grey 3/4 or the brown shorts. Not enough choice. Now should be better though both are darker brown. No size or colors. Nvm. I have lots of brown n earthly colors.

Other plans
Tomorrow I am attending my first double KM since the shift and the changes. Just to use my last bit of free time to find out if it would be difficult or taxing. Cos going thrice is challenging, so go twice but once is a double lesson, to make up for 3 sessions a week. See how it goes, if its ma manageable.

My final extra drum lesson is this week, last time to use an electric drum which is really cool, at least u can control the volume unlike a conventional one. But it's like comparing between acoustic and electric guitars, both have their good n bad. I like them both, though more towards acoustic but I listen to more songs with electric guitars. Will take a photo.

No comments: