Sunday, August 11, 2013

Crabs @ MelBen

I've heard about MelBen from my local office colleagues cos they helped suggest one of the level's dinner places to be there. I didn't go for that one but subsequently heard that the colleagues did enjoy eating there.

Its in Tab's area and she knows it well. So after a long time, this holiday, decided to jio Tab n Quet to eat there. DF came along too so we can eat more crabs with more pax. Decided on the Crab bee hoon & Salted Egg yolk (cos if order the chilli crab, will end up eating lots of mantous which are super high in calories)  Went for the lesser evils but with higher cholesterol.

We were all a bit late from our planned time. But we arrived about 6.15pm to find ourselves in a long queue. Bo bian, all not so hungry yet so we queued and chatted as it moved along. Quet joined us at the 2/5 mark and we continued chatting until about 8pm when we moved  to the front of the queue. 

Finally after 2 hrs of waiting, we were seated to much relief, all hungry by then that we ordered a coconut each to munch on the flesh n drink the cool juice despite the initial plan for Chinese tea. Now we know, the process of queuing is a ruse to make patrons hungry that each would have a coconut. Ha, we fell for it ;P

I was glad to be able to munch the coconut flesh to get something down my stomach cos I was feeling the pangs of gastric coming. Just in time, it abated. Our orders; bamboo clams, stir fried broccoli and their fried bean curd came soon and we swept them off in a short time. Then the main dishes, the Crab Bee Hoon plus extra soup n bee hoon & the Salted Egg Crab came. Luckily we were persuaded to change to medium crabs instead of large initially cos the medium crab is really big already. That was the largest pincer I ever had. 

It was nice to dig out the crab meat, scoop the bee hoon and soup and slurp it down. It reminds me a bit of XO bee hoon style but the soup has a different flavor. With crab meat, it tastes really good. The salted egg crab was good too, except that the frying made the flesh shrink and hence a bit tougher but u can't resist but keep licking the crab as u eat to get all the sticky egg yolk surrounding it. Definitely very savory. It is also nice to have 2 flavors as a contrast. One is soupy, other is fried. It is also nice if u dip the salty egg crab into the soup of the bee hoon soup to moisten it and eat it and the salty egg taste transfers to the soup and it's even more flavorful. Yumz! Ate many bowls of the bee hoon. Ended off with a second drink of chinese tea to wash down all the rich, savory flavors. It cost $53 per pax, worth it cos ate until so full. I've had to pay $60 for those level dinners that don't satisfy as much. 

That's my final indulgence in the month of August. Really out on some weight this time from the incessant eating that my tummy is buldging out more. Stepped on the weighing scale, bleah, about 3 kgs extra that needs to be worked off, if not, I would revert back to my weight soon. No thank you, cos it took me so long to slim down. Plus with another health checkup in Nov, need to clean up my eating habits. 

When I reached home, I made a big cup of Chinese tea with 3 tea bags. Let it sit and had a bath, then chug it down. Felt better. That glass of tea we had wasn't enough for my taste. And at midnight cos I was not sleepy, quite alert, I started doing my dips exercise and then did 1.5 set of my usual KB. I felt a bit stronger compared to when I initially restart with just 1 set. Didn't do the body conditioning exercises cos those I haven't restarted yet. Need to keep this up, with KM and a lot of sensible n careful eating. This would be my first week out of 21- days to build up all the broken exercise routines.

No comments: