Thursday, June 16, 2005

Many Things to Update.

Yesterday was another ordinary day except I was still on holidays! Yay! Intended to meet Tab for jap class. Then I read about Batman Begins articles in Life and and checked out the sneak timing. Hey, we can make it for the 9.30pm show. Sms her to ask if she was interested. Can beat the weekend crowd. She was okay. I went to a nearby AXN machine to grab the tickets cos I dont have a Debit card or any card say for an ATM.

After going through the entire transaction, the thing didnt allow the transaction to go through. So after 3 tries, I hopped on a bus to clementi central to use the axn machines there. One gave up on me and the third one finally allowed me to transact. Finally tickets for Batman Begins Sneak.

Japanese saw me and Tab making broken jap sentences about killing one another. Throwing each other out the window, giving money to me. After class, went to PS to catch the movie. I wanted to sign up for the guitar course in july but they were closing then so we headed down to carrefour. Tab bought her pandan milk again... and me, coffee milk and yorgat drink. Strangely enough, the coffe milk which is the same brand as the pandan milk, is very very sweet and reminds me of ice kachang, the after-taste.

The movie started after a few trailers... boy was the movie long. Like the review, which says that Batman only appear after the first hour. BUT I was distracted. By who? Err definitely not Batman himself. In fact I paid him scant notice cos there was this doctor guy who looks alot like Gackt. I was bioing him throughout the whole movie. Not to mention, there were many closeup of his face. I will definitely buy the Vcd/Dvd when it comes out. So err everything else seemed secondary.

I checked my watch, when the movie didnt seemed like it was going to end, and it was already 11.30pm. Am definitely going to miss the bus unless it ends in another 15 mins. No... the action barely started then. By the time the movie ended, it was 11.55pm.... Walao. Luckily I didnt settle for the 10.30 show. So me and Tab hurried to our bus stop. All my last buses had gone except one. Phew. Otherwise I would have to bunk in at Tab's place. Had to grab a cab later from the mrt station. It really feels like a weekend.

Later that night, while trying to sleep.... suddenly I remembered something (Err this is the part where the post gets very negative. Pls do not continue if you are weak-hearted or affliated to ShittyBank)

As I was saying..... suddenly I remembered that on the 16th June 2005 marks exactly 1 year after leaving Shittybank. Earlier 2 weeks ago, suddenly I realized that. After I clean-forgotten about it until that last instant just before I was to fall asleep. Sometimes I reflect upon my earlier work experiences or suddenly have flashbacks. Last time was in December where I vaguely registered that it was one year from the day i started hell in shittybank.

Exactly one year ago on this day, I left ShittyBank, spirits low and cynical after 6 months of internship or what is a more accurate picture 'a cheaper than temp slave'. The experience left such a deep scar that until now, whenever I see the Shittybank logo on ads, buildings, branches, the first thing I would say was "burn down.... burn and bankrupt..." Sometimes I reflect and dont really dredge up any specific examples of what I experienced there. BUT last night was different. Suddenly it seemed, the floodgates of Hell opened. I remembered.

Most of the incidents, bitches, stupid and menial work all came back to me. The more I recalled, the angrier I became and of course all traces of sleep vapourised. Like what Tab says, I have issues, unresolved issues. I tried to think through the memories logically. And of course compared them to my current work situation.

Basically

Pay-wise, I am better off. So much more comfortable. Though I have quit my tuition, with a pay-raise on the way, I can still mantain my current lifestyle and saving rate comfortably.

Work-wise, I am more satisifed cos its not desk-bound. Imagine the whole day being chained to your workspace. No freedom except to go for waterbreak or toilet. Not even to surf the net. Now I can walk around, surf net, prepare activities, have my coffee break without guilt. Different routine each day. No questions asked when you have free time unless u go around and broadcast too much. Dont have to sit and sit all day. Now I have a choice. There is no more morning rush hour, lunch rush hour and evening rush hour. I really dun miss the tightly-packed trains at all.

Collegue-wise, there are the fair share of assholes and bitches but its tolerable compared to Shittybank. There are genuine sincere ones who treat you as an equal. They are willing to admit when you are good. Give credit when its due. Unlike ShittyBank where the project which I slogged over, no credit was given. Not even a Thanks. Implemented I think but I wasnt there to see it being fully implemented except partially. Again not a mention of my part. No adknowledgement. WTBF. This is one of the main thing that really angered and irritated me.

Satisfaction-wise, when students greet me when they see me, when they remarked that I am a good educator, I feel that I have done well. I do hope they have learnt much from me. Definitely more satisfying than doing up a loan application data entry, one after another. No one would say thank you.

Dress code-wise, I am happy wearing my trackpants, T-shirt and sport shoes to work. No make-up, no gel in the hair, no perfume, no nice working bag. Just a bagpack or slingbag with Grey, my waterbottle, umbrella, pencilcase and jacket. In fact I look like those bound for either gym or bumming at orchard road than going to work.

Of course in the future, the pay raise and promotion aspect of my current job is limited. But somehow I dont mind trading those for a bit more freedom, a bit less ridigities in the work environment and dress code.

In the end, I asked myself. Am I willing to forgive and forget the ShittyBank experience?

For the 3 bitches who really screwed me all over ----No

For my Unit head bitch who didnt give me credit for the project ---- No

For all the work that I had helped to do, which spans 3 sub-units where I was only attached to one. All menial in nature with limited learning and very manual. No thanks for my efficiency ----No

For the way which interns were treated as the OUT group and very very marginalized --- No

For the freakingly obscene low pay that was even below what a factory worker gets ---- No

For the Big Boss who also didnt speak to me at all or adknowledge my work---- No

My conclusion is simple. No, I have not forgiven Shittybank after 1 year and I will still continue cursing and swearing for it to burn down/bankrupt/financially implode like Enron whenever I see the logo.

No comments: