Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A very Cheena Christmas

Yep a very Cheena christmas indeed. My mom decided to make Bao Bing (popiah) for lunch cum dinner. Its been a long while since we ate that. We chanced upon a stall in Queenstown that sold hand-made Bao Bing skin. So she decided to buy and make.

The dishes are rather simple and coarse compared to the finer dining outside, yet its a taste from childhood. Its fun to eat, cos you can put more of the dishes you like and wrap your own.

I was supposed to wake up earlier to help prepare and cook, but no one called me. By the time I woke, I was in time to help cook the carrots.

Tada, a traditional Hokkien meal - Bao Bing. (yep I cooked the carrot with some pointers from Mom)


As an experienced Bao Bing eater, lemme explain how its done. The main ingredient is the carrot and turnip. You drain them and lay them out evenly on 2 layers of skin. Then you put other stuff like green beans, fried tofu pieces, some 3-layer pork or chicken, egg, fish cake slices, some fried onion, some garnish and the sweet sauce.

Viola! A balanced Bao Bing with all the dishes laid out inside, only awaiting the wrapping.


Now you do the wrapping. First a tight roll, gathering the sides so nothing falls out. Then fold the sides in and give it another roll. A delicious Bao Bing is done.

In my younger days, I would skip certain ingredients like fish cake or beans but now to taste it fully, I just added all the ingredients. Its a nice lunch. Just 2 rolls and I am kinda full. Had a good laugh at my sister, whose roll disintegrated cos she put way too much ingredients. It turned out to be a very very fat Bao Bing. Eat until all over the hands. Ahaha, I've got the skill.

Signz invited for Christmas at Tab's place. Kinda having a funny-feeling stomach... Anyway I bought a drink mixer, a book of 501 cocktails and some juices to bring over on the long ride to make Tequila drinks. 2 problems, firstly I have not bought my PSP yet, so the long bus ride there, maybe have to consider sleeping. Second, some of the juices are kinda the cheaper grade, cos cant find eg Lime juice even from the better selection, hence no time to QC the taste. Maybe I make my way near 2pm bah... stomach...

No comments: