Wednesday, September 03, 2008

To go or not to go?

The dilemna as the political episode unfurls in Thailand, Bangkok.

We are caught smack up in it. The front page news coverage is not helping to defray tensions from worried parents, specifically my mom. She worried herself over my safety given the impeding trip over there. She had called her friends for advice, kept asking me about the decision to go or not, my sister smsed me this morning to tell me NOT to cause my mom more worries by going ahead cos her health is not good and stuff.

Then just now my mom decided once and for all to lay all the issues on me.
1) Things like Political unrest is not a joking matter, even with friends, in the event of something, they cant help you.
2) Spore embassy helps singaporeans, so who would help you? Malaysia embassy or Spore embassy?
3) The point of going back is partly to pray to the 4faced buddha, is it so urgent to go during this timing? Buddha is merciful and will understand this situation.
4) What is the cost of deferring if not cancelling, is it so large an amount?
5) Plus if got delays, I start work next week, so how to explain to employers?

Signz these are not issues I am unaware of. Wonderz what is holding me back from just cancelling and give her a peace of mind. Also received concerned smses from friends.

Well for one, its not just going back 1)to pray.
2) Its like a holiday, though by now the mood kinda spoilt.
3) Also it was to be like a repeat of fun and shopping and relaxation. Wonders how much of it is still doable?
4) Also looking very forward to celebrate Candle's bdae and stuff.
5) Had been planned in advanced, things booked, fees paid. Though the sum involved is not large,$500+, is that worth risking a life?

Maybe that is overstating things, is it worth risking some endangerment to oneself as what worried parents perceived?

On my part, I have checked with the others who are going with me, one even with direct information from the source, found an online map of the Govt house and our hotel plus the Spore and Malaysia embassy. Cant find the scale used in the map but its like 14cm radius from the hotel. It seems quite far. BUT also must be vigilant to avoid going out at night, if notice something wrong, have to siam and stuff. Have to bring extra cash in case of emergency.

Why not just end all these hassles and just NOT GO? I dunno.
-Is it my stubborn nature not to give up and just go ahead just to say been there, done that?
-My refusal to say defintely that I am not going, is it a naive judgement that I am invincible and that NOTHING BAD should happen to me? That bad things wont happen to me?
-Or I dun give a damn about my life anyway?

At least at this point of time, I still wanna go. Not sure what is driving this decision. Stubborn pride outweighing personal perservation?

__________________________________________

In the event of unfortunate circumstances,I am leaving behind a message for family.

1) Cash in personal account plus Spore shares and Msia shares - For use to settle stuff and then after, split between Mom and Dad equally.

2) Cash in CPF - For parents, unless I've nominated both my sisters, equal share.

3) Insurance claims - For some policies, I've nominated both my sisters equally. If not, for policies that are not nominated, equal share to both parents and three siblings.

4) Personal belongings - Anybody in immdediate family can take and claim for personal use. If not useful, can throw or burn.

I understand that I am of sound mind at this point. Only that I dun have the time to get things drafted up. This is binding in the event of anything unfortunate.
____________________________________________________

Wonders if it is still worth going?

No comments: