Sunday, March 21, 2010

Disturbed

I just headed out to post some letters, drop a cheque and also some bank book updates. When I reached downstairs, I encountered a boy. He is in primary school age. His brother or friend was giggling near the lift and the boy was trying not to laugh. When I walked past the boy, he asked me "do you have $1?"

I gave him a look and walk off. Reason being, this is an obvious begging/asking for money. Though I definitely have the money, I feel no obligation to give just cos he asked. Also he is not in rags. In home clothes and alright ones, with a friend or brother. I wonder what is he doing asking for money? Think this is fun and an easy way to make money? Wondered what their parents were doing, letting them run around and 'play' this type of games?

Really disturbed by this incident. Guess the Educator in me frowns upon such things. I can understand if this is in another poorer countries where there are beggers. But THIS, just asking for money to try the luck, for a quick buck is really apprehensible. I tio once before when I just graduated. A girl well dressed asked for some money cos she forgot/didnt have enough. I gave her $1-2 if I remembered but later felt like an idiot for doing so. So that's the first and last time of it.

I guess there's always a paying for lesson for some of these types of scams. On my way about my errands, I did spend that $1 on a pack of tissue from a handicapped seller. That is what I rather give to.

I still have some stuff to settle and also cut 3 weeks of newspapers accumulated. Okay better get started.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm perhaps i should try the stunt too =D

1390